PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on trailer tie downs/spare tire cover?

x10vancouver2003
05-15-2010, 03:50 AM
Hey all,

Just a couple quick questions:

- What do you all recommend for a good set of trailer tie downs? The ones I currently use on my 02 X10 are pretty cheap, and are a hassle to put on and take off when launching. Any ideas?

- The size of the spare tire on the trailer is 16". Any idea where to pick up a decent spare tire cover that will fit that size? All I can track down are 14" and 15" sizes.

Thanks for your time!!! :)

sixysixss
05-15-2010, 09:51 AM
I have these boat buckles: Boat Buckle (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0001938011073a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all_NYR&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&nyr=1&Ne=3&Ntk=Products&QueryText=tie+down&sort=all&Go.y=0&N=3238+6171&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/search/search-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0) . They are not cheap, but they mount to the trailer and are always right where you need them, when you need them.

Try Camping World for spare tire covers.

sand2snow22
05-15-2010, 09:54 AM
I have these boat buckles: Boat Buckle (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0001938011073a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all_NYR&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&nyr=1&Ne=3&Ntk=Products&QueryText=tie+down&sort=all&Go.y=0&N=3238+6171&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/search/search-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0) . They are not cheap, but they mount to the trailer and are always right where you need them, when you need them.

2nd! Get a MC spare tire cover.

TMCNo1
05-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Hey all,

Just a couple quick questions:

- What do you all recommend for a good set of trailer tie downs? The ones I currently use on my 02 X10 are pretty cheap, and are a hassle to put on and take off when launching. Any ideas?

- The size of the spare tire on the trailer is 16". Any idea where to pick up a decent spare tire cover that will fit that size? All I can track down are 14" and 15" sizes.

Thanks for your time!!! :)
The wheel diameter is of little importance, measure the width, diameter and circumference of inflated tire mounted on the wheel and go most any auto parts chain like Advance, AutoZone, O'Reilly and Walmart, check with them and IIRC the dimensions for the different tires they work on are printed on the box. Summit Racing, http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=spare%20tire%20cover&dds=1 also has them with the tire widths and diameters listed.

One additional trick, when you get a tire cover and if the inside is lined with a white fussy like material, put a big garbage bag over the tire/wheel first or the the fuzzy stuff will stick to the rubber stems and such and you will have a mess when you remove the tire cover.

Also after measuring your tire, contact MC by Design, John, joertel@mastercraftbydesign.com and see if their tire MC covers will work, if not, your buying one and wasting shipping for it to maybe not fit.

Thrall
05-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Unless you're going for the type that mount permanently to the trailer and retract when you unhook the boat, I'd just get some ratchect straps with coated hooks form the hardware store and cut them to length.
It's the cheapest route and they work as good as any specific boat straps, imo.

nmcjr
05-15-2010, 01:09 PM
I also recommend the Boat Buckles--worth every penny!

Silverdawg
05-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Mc by Design has some great looking spare tire covers. Got one for mine.

x10vancouver2003
05-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

I love the look of the Boat Buckle, but have a few questions...

- The stainless steel Boat Buckle claims to be "perfect for brackish or saltwater environments, or for the boater that just demands the best." We occasionally ski locally in salt water. Is the stainless the better choice of the 2 options?

- Does the system include everything needed for install (2 transom tie-downs, and all the brackets and hardware, etc)?

Thanks! :-)

russlars
05-16-2010, 01:30 AM
Thanks for all the replies!

I love the look of the Boat Buckle, but have a few questions...

- The stainless steel Boat Buckle claims to be "perfect for brackish or saltwater environments, or for the boater that just demands the best." We occasionally ski locally in salt water. Is the stainless the better choice of the 2 options?

- Does the system include everything needed for install (2 transom tie-downs, and all the brackets and hardware, etc)?

Thanks! :-)
I put the SS Boat Buckle on my trailer. See here: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=21538&page=9
If I remember correctly, it came with bolts for mounting. They work great.

TallRedRider
05-16-2010, 02:51 PM
I also recommend the Boat Buckles--worth every penny!

My X45 trailer really does not have a decent location where you can mount the boat buckles, so I have to just put up with the traditional style. Check your trailer to visualize exactly where you would put them before you buy.

It is hard to see in this pic perfectly, but you see my lights are in the way and then there is the area where the welds are, and then it descends towards the prop guard. I thought it would look retarded to have them halfway down the prop guard, and I was unsure about drilling a hole where the welds are at. Anyone with an X45 have them and might have a tip? Because it is just a matter of time before I lose the straps I am using now. Would really prefer the boat buckles...had them on my last boat and give them two thumbs up.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/talltigeguy/X-45%20pics/IMG_7971.jpg?t=1274035986

nmcjr
05-16-2010, 03:17 PM
That looks pretty similar to mine, and I originally thought the same thing. I just used their adapter brackets, which was also preferrable to drilling for me, and just used the lower mount points where you currently are attaching your straps. (sorry the prictures are so bad....)

x10vancouver2003
05-17-2010, 01:54 AM
Where are most of you positioning your Boat Buckle's on the trailer? Are there 'right' and 'wrong' places to position the system?

On a side note, what is the installation of the Boat Buckle like? Is there a 'right' and 'wrong' way to do it?

x10vancouver2003
05-17-2010, 01:56 AM
(sorry, I totally forgot to proof-read that last post...) Apologies!!!

notnowgus
05-17-2010, 10:24 PM
I use the Boat Buckle and love it! Not too hard to install and definitely worth the money.

x10vancouver2003
05-18-2010, 01:47 AM
I use the Boat Buckle and love it! Not too hard to install and definitely worth the money.

notnowgus, is that the stainless steel version of the Boat Buckle or just the standard one? I can't seem to find out what the difference is between the 2, other than the stainless version being rated for less weight.

Did all the hardware you used for install come with the kit? What was the install like? Can you expand on that a little bit? Thanks a bunch for the pictures btw! :)

notnowgus
05-18-2010, 06:51 AM
When I bought mine more than a year ago a stainless version was unavailable. I don't think stainless is necessary unless you're in salt or brackish water. The black "L" brackets in the picture were some that I made that are similar to the kit that BB sells. I wanted a tighter fit to the trailer instead of leaving a gap that the BB bracket would have left. The Buckles only came with two bolts and two washers, the platted ones in the picture. The silver Torx bolts were some that I had left over from a previous project.

notnowgus
05-18-2010, 06:59 AM
The installation was easy! I made the L brackets from some scrap I had laying around as well as a few extra nuts and bolts. Drilled the holes, welded the nuts on then spray bombed a little black. I pulled the rectangular rubber plugs that were in ends of the tubing on the trailer. Marked on the bottom side of the trailer the exact location of the brackets then drilled again. Applied a little primer to the trailer and the rest was just bolting it up.

TallRedRider
05-18-2010, 11:09 AM
That looks pretty similar to mine, and I originally thought the same thing. I just used their adapter brackets, which was also preferrable to drilling for me, and just used the lower mount points where you currently are attaching your straps. (sorry the prictures are so bad....)

Now that I know they have some adapter brackets, you just cost me $100. Thanks a lot!

;)

nmcjr
05-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Now that I know they have some adapter brackets, you just cost me $100. Thanks a lot!

;)

Ha, glad I could help! I was iffy on the investment at first too, but my goal is to minimize any of the hassles in boating that I can, and these do just that. You'll love them, just one less thing to think about at the ramp, especially when you have new people who are unfamiliar with your setup etc.

russlars
05-18-2010, 12:57 PM
You are going to love the Boat Buckles. I went with stainless just to minimize any potential for rusting in the future. I also changed out the standard bolts that came with them for stainless. Just additional peace of mind.