PDA

View Full Version : Suburban minor scratch repair

captain planet
05-14-2010, 03:38 PM
I have my wonderful 2000 Suburban about which you are probably tired of reading. Long story short someone drug something across my hood and put some minor scratches in the clear coat. They don't appear to go into the color. What should I use and how do I get these scratches out on my own? Orbital buffer and a certain poishing compound? I'm not a paint or body guy but I consider myself capable of being able to get out these marks.

sand2snow22
05-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Meguiars Scratch X if it's not too bad.......I would be curious to hear about professional products......

TMCNo1
05-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Meguiars Scratch X if it's not too bad.......I would be curious to hear about professional products......

What color is it? Depending on how deep it is, most all clear coats, when scratched will show white, like a scratch on ice or glass, except on white basecoat or the light silvers. If it's black a fine Sharpie will do the trick in adding color to the scratch to hide it or any other combination of colors that may come close to the color you have.

captain planet
05-14-2010, 04:37 PM
What color is it? Depending on how deep it is, most all clear coats, when scratched will show white, like a scratch on ice or glass, except on white basecoat or the light silvers. If it's black a fine Sharpie will do the trick in adding color to the scratch to hide it or any other combination of colors that may come close to the color you have.

I thought you might come along to answer this one. My suburban is that wonderful bland Pewter color you see from the late 90's until the mid 2000's. The scratches are showing white which makes me believe it is only in the clear.

Thrall
05-14-2010, 05:37 PM
If you can't get them out with a rotary polisher and some med to heavy cut rubbing compound, start wet sanding...........carefully.
I would start at 600 or 1000 grit (1000 if you haven't done this before since it's not hard to sand all teh way thru the clear). Sand 600, wet, make a few passes, squeege the film off, repeat until you can barely feel or see the scratch, then do the same with 1000grit.
Once the scratch disappears (check it after every couple passes with the paper.........again so that you don't go too deep), hit it once with a polisher and med cut rubbing compound, Do not hold the buffer in one place and do not sand over sharp ridges or edges and go real easy with the buffer on edges. When the compound buffs off dry, it will be pretty shiny again. Then repeat the procedure with polishing compound. Then wax.
In order to not go thru the clear coat, I'd start the buffing and polishing when I could still slightly feel/see the scratches. They will be much less noticable and if you're not happy, you can start back at teh 1000grit stage and take them completely out.
Alternatively, you could get a panel from the junk yard and practice the technique first on a throw away.
I use 3M rubbing compound and 3M Finesse it polishing compound. Being a light color, swirl marks shouldn't be much an issue.

captain planet
05-18-2010, 08:48 AM
Sounds easy but can see how that could get complicated real fast. I may give it a try....sans any wet sanding. If I can't polish it out my brother knows a guy who is out of work right now that does this kind of stuff. I may let him do it because I don't want to screw up and he can use the extra cash.

Thanks for the advise fellas. I'll try the Meguires first and see how that goes. I'll have to wait for the weather to get better first....56 and rain here for a couple days. :mad:

Thrall
05-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Rain makes it easier to wetsand, don't have to dip the paper in water!:rolleyes:
Don't worry too much about burning thru the clear with 1000grit, I only emphasized it so that you'd be aware that you just can't go to town on it without checking regularly. Having a scratch to guage how deep you've sanded makes it easier. Another guage is stop sanding as soon as the "orange peel" disappears. (After hitting it once with the paper and squeege off, you'll see that there are still shiny spots. These are the low areas, and you'll see them progressively get smaller as you sand. Once they're almost gone, time to buff.)

TMCNo1
06-01-2010, 07:09 PM
I thought you might come along to answer this one. My suburban is that wonderful bland Pewter color you see from the late 90's until the mid 2000's. The scratches are showing white which makes me believe it is only in the clear.

I just ran across this again. True, the clear when scratched will show white except on white. Go to any art supply store and they have just about any color of the rainbow in permanent markers that can be used to change the color of the white scratch to the color of the basecoat.
But remember, when you wax it after adding the color, be sure to not apply excess wax on or near the scratches or the wax will fill in the scratch and leave the white wax chalky residue in the scratch, apply around it and work the wax over the scratches after application before it dries.

TX.X-30 fan
06-02-2010, 07:36 PM
I just ran across this again. True, the clear when scratched will show white except on white. Go to any art supply store and they have just about any color of the rainbow in permanent markers that can be used to change the color of the white scratch to the color of the basecoat.
But remember, when you wax it after adding the color, be sure to not apply excess wax on or near the scratches or the wax will fill in the scratch and leave the white wax chalky residue in the scratch, apply around it and work the wax over the scratches after application before it dries.

Why do you search this forum and remove my posts??? Wake-up CP and I do not have issues.........................

Its gotten childish Harold, I have never done a single thing to you other than kiss-..............

TMCNo1
06-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Why do you search this forum and remove my posts??? Wake-up CP and I do not have issues.........................

Its gotten childish Harold, I have never done a single thing to you other than kiss-..............

I don't have any idea what you are talking about my removing your posts. I haven't removed any of your posts and all I know is you probably have no clue as to where or how to find your garbage, threadjack posts that may have been moved by someone to their proper forums.

TEAL98
06-05-2010, 04:05 AM
Cap'n - I've got a 2002 Yukon that is pewter metallic with three pretty hefty scratches going along the hood of it as well. Have been meaning to get to it, but haven't yet. Got a few tricks I'm gunna try in the morning (well, I guess about 3 hours from now), before I head out to the lake, I'll let ya know how it turns out

TX.X-30 fan
06-05-2010, 10:30 AM
I don't have any idea what you are talking about my removing your posts. I haven't removed any of your posts and all I know is you probably have no clue as to where or how to find your garbage, threadjack posts that may have been moved by someone to their proper forums.

Whatever skidim

I believe your comments there violate several posting guidelines, your not setting a good example ModX.

scott023
06-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Whatever skidim

I believe your comments there violate several posting guidelines, your not setting a good example ModX.

I beleive you meant you're.:D

But I agree, it seems some are able to post link to competitors websites without issue, while others are chastised for the same infractions.

TX.X-30 fan
06-05-2010, 05:00 PM
I beleive you meant you're.:D

But I agree, it seems some are able to post link to competitors websites without issue, while others are chastised for the same infractions.

"Your" Correct ................................:D

JohnE
06-05-2010, 05:46 PM

Certainly someone removed one or more of TX's posts. And it wasn't me. If TX posted a reply like this it would get him banned. Period. Seems like you have posted a direct insult to him. Not everyone gets what he is driving at, but some of us do. Seems like TT has double standards by some of their mods. TX has 6K posts give or take and most to all are very insightul in one way or another. Hell, want to call a spade a spade? He called bs on a huge promotion a few years ago and in the end was correct. Me and at least one dealer here ate crow and apologized to him. This place has lost so much substance in the past 3 years. A lot of us hang on trying to get it back but at some point it just won't be worth it. I can name 20 of the most productive members who are no longer here. In the meantime we've picked up some great new members (even if one or two are from north of the border eh :D) This place needs more input and less drama.

And please tell me what the 'proper forum' is? Everything fits under the description 'general forum'. And anyone who has spent time here knows that if a topic isn't in the 'general forum' section that nobody reads it. Granted those who use the 'new posts' buttons do, but many don't use that.

Now let's talk about threadjacks........

Maristar210
06-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Star Brite Teak Oil Sucks. There I said it. :D

SkiDog
06-06-2010, 08:07 PM

Now there's a classy move.

trickskier
06-06-2010, 09:19 PM

He's all "CLASS" --- I heard he works for BP --- :rolleyes:

ShamrockIV
06-06-2010, 09:47 PM

and ski dog knows classy!!

trickskier
06-06-2010, 09:49 PM
and ski dog knows classy!!

Dog is "WORLD CLASS" :D

Maristar210
06-06-2010, 09:59 PM

It's a joke. Our resident Teak expert has been wound a little too tight lately. I was of course kidding and trying to lighten the mood. I wish I had teak that nice and you know it. :D

ShamrockIV
06-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Dog is "WORLD CLASS" :D

TRUE Tricky!!! Same can be said for u! I might punch anyone that says anything different.:D

trickskier
06-06-2010, 10:02 PM
TRUE Tricky!!! Same can be said for u! I might punch anyone that says anything different.:D

Glad I'm on your "TEAM"! :D

SkiDog
06-07-2010, 07:33 AM
It's a joke. Our resident Teak expert has been wound a little too tight lately. I was of course kidding and trying to lighten the mood. I wish I had teak that nice and you know it. :D

Our resident teak expert is having health problems that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. If thats his reasoning for being wound a little tight, well then, so be it.

Maristar210
06-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Our resident teak expert is having health problems that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. If thats his reasoning for being wound a little tight, well then, so be it.

I did not know that Eddie. My apologies. I assure you I meant nothing by it.

Maristar210
06-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Now maybe you three can stop jacking Captain Planets thread? :)

captain planet
06-07-2010, 01:53 PM

Yea.....what he said!!! :D I've got a truck to make purty again!!!

03 35th Anniversary
06-07-2010, 01:55 PM

Try using Starbite Teak Oil on it!!! :D

flipper
06-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Dang thead jackers

Thrall
06-07-2010, 03:38 PM
And I thought there was 28 posts detailing CP's experience how to remove scratches!
So as not to jack this further, get the scratches out yet?

SkiDog
06-07-2010, 04:53 PM

Raise the hood, raise the radiator cap, and drive a new one underneath it! :D

captain planet
06-07-2010, 05:34 PM
And I thought there was 28 posts detailing CP's experience how to remove scratches!
So as not to jack this further, get the scratches out yet?

Not yet.......free time..worth its weight in gold! :o

DemolitionMan
06-07-2010, 07:20 PM
Just repaint it white.:D

trickskier
06-07-2010, 08:40 PM

You must be referring to these 3 --- OBTW - Scott check your spelling on believe --- 8p 58735

Whatever skidim

I beleive you meant you're.

"Your" Correct ................................:D

Star Brite Teak Oil Sucks. There I said it.

Maristar210
06-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Hey Rick. How are you?

trickskier
06-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Hey Rick. How are you?

Never Better - How are you this evening Steve?

Maristar210
06-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Okay. Still hunting. How's trucking?

trickskier
06-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Okay. Still hunting. How's trucking?

Truly sorry to hear that as I have been there a couple of times. I wish you all the best!

Not really in trucking anymore --- I work for an OEM that sells trucks to trucking companies. Sales have been rebounding as old equipment needs to be replaced.

DemolitionMan
06-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Truly sorry to hear that as I have been there a couple of times. I wish you all the best!

Not really in trucking anymore --- I work for an OEM that sells trucks to trucking companies. Sales have been rebounding as old equipment needs to be replaced.

Hopefully you will get the Augusta area so we can see you more often.

trickskier
06-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Hopefully you will get the Augusta area so we can see you more often.

That would be nice! :D

Maristar210
06-07-2010, 09:15 PM

Oh, cool. Glad to hear it is going well. Still have the X-1? Glad things are well.

trickskier
06-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Oh, cool. Glad to hear it is going well. Still have the X-1? Glad things are well.

Yes - I still have the X-1 - Running good! Been out lately? What's your water temp?

Maristar210
06-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Water is in the 60's. We have had a ton of rain, lots of stuff in the water so we have been pontooning....

trickskier
06-07-2010, 09:32 PM
We've had a toof rain too.

Nick still playing sports?

trickskier
06-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Hey CP - I have a 2005 Suburban if you're interested --- Just put a new set of Michelins on it and NO SCRATCHES!!!

scott023
06-07-2010, 09:48 PM
You must be referring to these 3 --- OBTW - Scott check your spelling on believe --- 8p 58735

Good for you catching that one Rick... perhaps I put it there intentionally?;):D

trickskier
06-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Good for you catching that one Rick... perhaps I put it there intentionally?;):D

Clever --- I'll remember that next time --- :D

Maristar210
06-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Yes sir he is. Travel baseball has begun. He is progressing well. Fun to watch.

scott023
06-07-2010, 10:21 PM
I picture two erect figures having a converstion quite similar to this one...

trickskier
06-08-2010, 06:23 AM

Best of Luck to Nick and his team! Chad decided not to play his senior year.

SkiDog
06-08-2010, 07:13 AM

Damn, it seems like Taylors Travel Baseball season will NEVER end. We played the Allstars last night. The Allstars have 6 of their team members from our travel team. They only beat us 5-4. Boy their coach was PO'ed!:D

Guess we should start a baseball thread! Sorry CP!:rolleyes::uglyhamme

Double D
06-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Damn, it seems like Taylors Travel Baseball season will NEVER end. We played the Allstars last night. The Allstars have 6 of their team members from our travel team. They only beat us 5-4. Boy their coach was PO'ed!:D

Guess we should start a baseball thread! Sorry CP!:rolleyes::uglyhamme

Sorry CP... But Travel baseball never ends guys. My son made the 9 yo all stars and then played 5 years of travel ball, which starts in January and ends at the end of July (games start in April). BUT, then Fall Ball starts in mid August and through September. Doesn't leave much time for skiing for him and having him along for me as a legal observer (plus I don't like to miss games).... Now he just finished his Freshman season where they won the Federal League, and now we're into a month and half of everyday games of 16U summer ball. It only ends when he stops playing, which I hope doesn't ever happen.

BTW, is that scratch fixed yet??:D

captain planet
06-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Sorry CP... But Travel baseball never ends guys. My son made the 9 yo all stars and then played 5 years of travel ball, which starts in January and ends at the end of July (games start in April). BUT, then Fall Ball starts in mid August and through September. Doesn't leave much time for skiing for him and having him along for me as a legal observer (plus I don't like to miss games).... Now he just finished his Freshman season where they won the Federal League, and now we're into a month and half of everyday games of 16U summer ball. It only ends when he stops playing, which I hope doesn't ever happen.

BTW, is that scratch fixed yet??:D

No not yet. I'll probably get try that Meguires stuff on Thursday after work......I'm really tired today and in one of those moods you get in when you only get 5 hours of sleep, so reading ALL the posts from the last two pages is cracking me up. 8p You guys need to get some counseling.

And......I can't believe I'm going to jack my own thread (can you say that here?:confused:), but a wise man once said, "Watching a baseball game is as exciting as standing in line at the grocery store." I love my kids dearly, but if they begin to play baseball I may hang myself.

Double D
06-08-2010, 09:51 AM
No not yet. I'll probably get try that Meguires stuff on Thursday after work......I'm really tired today and in one of those moods you get in when you only get 5 hours of sleep, so reading ALL the posts from the last two pages is cracking me up. 8p You guys need to get some counseling.

And......I can't believe I'm going to jack my own thread (can you say that here?:confused:), but a wise man once said, "Watching a baseball game is as exciting as standing in line at the grocery store." I love my kids dearly, but if they begin to play baseball I may hang myself.

Thread Jack again: CP, how many times have you been out this season? Lets hope some of that tiredness is from barefooting or something. Yesterday the lake was up to 1026.1 and rising. My boat is up at BHM getting the engine looked at and my nose guide repaired. Long story and Karma involved there.. May try to get out on the bro's CC sometime this week...

Maristar210
06-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Our kids got whalloped 29-11 on Saturday, They played like ____ and their coach (me) was not happy. We are now 5 and 5 on the year so far...

CP

If your kids get into ________ you'll be there to support them no matter what, because they are your kids. A bad *** football pro friend of mine goes to his daughters ballet twice a week. Sooooooooo......

trickskier
06-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Our kids got whalloped 29-11 on Saturday, They played like ____ and their coach (me) was not happy. We are now 5 and 5 on the year so far...

In Baseball? You guys don't have a Mercy Rule? Here it's a game if you're ahead 15 runs after 3 innings or 10 runs after 4 innings.

captain planet
06-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Thread Jack again: CP, how many times have you been out this season? Lets hope some of that tiredness is from barefooting or something. Yesterday the lake was up to 1026.1 and rising. My boat is up at BHM getting the engine looked at and my nose guide repaired. Long story and Karma involved there.. May try to get out on the bro's CC sometime this week...

I just de-winterized on Sunday this past weekend. Weather was crappy so we only went out for a short ride on Sunday before we went home.

CP

If your kids get into ________ you'll be there to support them no matter what, because they are your kids. A bad *** football pro friend of mine goes to his daughters ballet twice a week. Sooooooooo......

I absolutely will be there, I wouldn't miss it. I will say, however, at least ballet is interesting and takes some athleticism. If John Kruk, Kirby Pucket, and "big poppy" can play baseball........the game is boring and takes little athleticism.....mostly boring.

By the way, the guy that said standing in line at the grocery store is more interesting than a baseball game, anybody know who that was?

SkiDog
06-08-2010, 02:27 PM
In Baseball? You guys don't have a Mercy Rule? Here it's a game if you're ahead 15 runs after 3 innings or 10 runs after 4 innings.

This coulda been a playoff game or something like that. I don't think the mercy rule applies to that type of situation. Seems like I saw a game @ our complex where I thought that shoulda happened, but no mercy rule in that game.:confused: Damnit, I'm starting a Youth baseball thread NOW!:D Sorry, once again CP!:o

trickskier
06-08-2010, 02:43 PM
This coulda been a playoff game or something like that. I don't think the mercy rule applies to that type of situation. Seems like I saw a game @ our complex where I thought that shoulda happened, but no mercy rule in that game.:confused: Damnit, I'm starting a Youth baseball thread NOW!:D Sorry, once again CP!:o

I've offered to sell CP my 05' Suburban with "NO SCRATCHES" and he hasn't responded --- 8p

captain planet
06-08-2010, 04:14 PM
I've offered to sell CP my 05' Suburban with "NO SCRATCHES" and he hasn't responded --- 8p

Tricky, you have to offer up a little more than that! How about some details; mileage, interior, price, etc. One thing is for sure, your Suburban will look much better pulling my boat than pulling yours!

You have some stiff competition Tricky. I dislike my Suburban, but I love the payment! :rolleyes:

TX.X-30 fan
06-08-2010, 04:41 PM
I absolutely will be there, I wouldn't miss it. I will say, however, at least ballet is interesting and takes some athleticism. If John Kruk, Kirby Pucket, and "big poppy" can play baseball........the game is boring and takes little athleticism.....mostly boring.

?

We disagree here, you are talking about a great and high degree of athleticism to play at the top in amateur and pro ball. My boy played at 9 different places on the field this year, I respectfully disagree.

Maristar210
06-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Tricky,

They scored 15 runs in one inning. We finished the inning....

trickskier
06-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Tricky,

They scored 15 runs in one inning. We finished the inning....

WOW --- 10-4

captain planet
06-09-2010, 10:44 AM
We disagree here, you are talking about a great and high degree of athleticism to play at the top in amateur and pro ball. My boy played at 9 different places on the field this year, I respectfully disagree.

That's fine TX, you can disagree. Baseball is just boring and the game has lost me as a fan. I loved baseball in the late 80's and 90's, but with the money the players make, the steriods, the blatent lack of loyalty from the players and owners that have turned the game into a disgusting business has pushed me away. I loved to go to Indians games but after the new owners refuse to do what it takes to win combined with all those items mentioned and then Thome goes to Philly for more money.....sorry can't watch what is already a mildly entertaining game with this type of shenanigans (sp?).

Take this for instance, if cc sebathia gets paid per pitch that equals over 750,000 per pitch. Sorry, that's a little hard to cheer for. :(

Double D
06-09-2010, 04:04 PM
That's fine TX, you can disagree. Baseball is just boring and the game has lost me as a fan. I loved baseball in the late 80's and 90's, but with the money the players make, the steriods, the blatent lack of loyalty from the players and owners that have turned the game into a disgusting business has pushed me away. I loved to go to Indians games but after the new owners refuse to do what it takes to win combined with all those items mentioned and then Thome goes to Philly for more money.....sorry can't watch what is already a mildly entertaining game with this type of shenanigans (sp?).

Take this for instance, if cc sebathia gets paid per pitch that equals over 750,000 per pitch. Sorry, that's a little hard to cheer for. :(

Amen Brother! That's why its only worth watching college sports. Good football, baseball and basketball there. If only they had college Nascar. :D

TX.X-30 fan
06-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Amen Brother! That's why its only worth watching college sports. Good football, baseball and basketball there. If only they had college Nascar. :D

Whats good about major college Football, they are paid athletes these days. The programs are not even part of the schools anymore, name only. Texas included.