PDA

View Full Version : 06 X-1 Ballast Pump Problem

NParkhurst
05-13-2010, 09:28 PM
Port ballast pump on my 2006 X-1 is not working. The other two pumps are activating and working properly. I don't hear the port ballast pump activate at all.

Just had it de-winterized, and the pumps worked just fine before the winter.

I haven't taken the back panel off yet to inspect, but was hoping someone had a recommendation on where to start looking for the problem.

Any advice is appreciated.

sand2snow22
05-13-2010, 09:49 PM
That pump is bad. It's installed upside down, water gets in and destroys it. Already replace mine. 05 X2.

Jerseydave
05-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Each pump should have its own breaker. Check that first to see if it has "popped out"

Is there 12 volts of power at the pump when it's turned on?

BTW, I changed all my impellers to the new green ones, they work excellent.

xstarplease
05-13-2010, 10:40 PM
My pump for the ski locker bag was working about half the time earlier this year. I found a loose ground under the dash on the ground bar. Unfortunately, I would say Sand2Snow hit the nail on the head.

Also, I'll second the vote for green impellers.

TallRedRider
05-13-2010, 10:47 PM
That pump is bad. It's installed upside down, water gets in and destroys it. Already replace mine. 05 X2.

What he said. I learned this the hard way on My X-45. $220 design flaw on the 06 models.

The pump is upside down because it is very difficult to make it fit any other way. I moved my center pump up near the center of the boat so that there would be more space. That was far more work than I should have done, but now I have peace of mind it is done right.

NParkhurst
05-13-2010, 11:22 PM
I checked the breaker when I first noticed it wasn't working, and it was fine. I suspect that it's getting enough power.

Assuming the pump is bad, what is recommended for getting the fix done "right"?

Thanks

Smoothie
05-14-2010, 03:06 PM
I would go with the Johnson pumps and mount it correctly. The Johnsons are faster pumps.

sand2snow22
05-14-2010, 03:36 PM
I would go with the Johnson pumps and mount it correctly. The Johnsons are faster pumps.

Link????//////

Smoothie
05-14-2010, 03:56 PM
http://www.wakemakers.com/johnson-ultra-ballast-pump.html

They are cheaper too and will plug right into your current ballast puppy plug. Would be the way I would go.

sand2snow22
05-14-2010, 04:00 PM

They are cheaper too and will plug right into your current ballast puppy plug. Would be the way I would go.

Now you tell me. Thanks. Good info. for the future!

TallRedRider
05-15-2010, 01:37 AM

They aren't any cheaper. They do quote 12 GPM instead of 11, but who knows if that translates to any significant real world increase in flow.

Wakemakers has them for $212, Quick search found the Jabsco for $209.
http://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-18220-1127-Wakeboard-Reversing-Impeller/dp/B000O8DC6M

It is good to know there is another option, although I think I would withold judgement about them being any faster or any cheaper yet. Who wants to buy these and do a head to head challenge?

bturner2
05-15-2010, 06:56 AM
Anyone got a picture of where they're remounting the pumps to? Mine is mount upside down and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I get to buy a new $200 pump. I noticed the new boats are coming with the pumps mounted high on the transom behind the motor.

TallRedRider
05-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Anyone got a picture of where they're remounting the pumps to? Mine is mount upside down and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I get to buy a new $200 pump. I noticed the new boats are coming with the pumps mounted high on the transom behind the motor.

Hilarious. That is where my 2006 has the pumps, up high behind the motor. But they glassed in a couple of pieces of backing material, 1 larger piece on the port side and 1 on the starboard. The port side piece was too small in 2006. The 2 pumps on the port side can be made to fit properly if you have good flexible hose, but the hose has to immediately bend around the pump next to it, so the stock hose probably won't work well. I got some of this stuff and have found it to be more flexible and it also will not kink in tight bends.

Something like this. Interestlingly enough, Lowe's keeps this stuff in the garden section at my store. http://www.hosexpress.com/pvchose/seriescf.htm

sand2snow22
07-06-2010, 05:47 PM
They aren't any cheaper. They do quote 12 GPM instead of 11, but who knows if that translates to any significant real world increase in flow.

Wakemakers has them for $212, Quick search found the Jabsco for $209.
http://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-18220-1127-Wakeboard-Reversing-Impeller/dp/B000O8DC6M

It is good to know there is another option, although I think I would withold judgement about them being any faster or any cheaper yet. Who wants to buy these and do a head to head challenge?

After my 3rd pump failure, I'm thinking about switching to the Johnson's..... :mad: Maybe MC should think about doing the same?

Thrall
07-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Anyone try reversing the flow by just flipping the pump(s) over and hooking back up yet?
Looks like less work than re-plumbing everything. 2 way pump, should work right? Then just flip the leads on the switch so fill is fill again and empty is empty.

TallRedRider
07-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Anyone try reversing the flow by just flipping the pump(s) over and hooking back up yet?
Looks like less work than re-plumbing everything. 2 way pump, should work right? Then just flip the leads on the switch so fill is fill again and empty is empty.

You could do that but the problem (at least on mine) was that you cannot have 2 pumps in the same area because the outlets need a greater width. The mounting plate was simply too small, so they resorted to putting one pump upside down.

In fact, when I mounted mine properly, the hoses were backwards. So I just reversed the wires and all is good.

Thrall
07-07-2010, 09:25 AM
Yeah, my back pumps wouldn't mount up the same way because the backing plates are too small, but I was thinking if I flipped them, could just strap the pump motor down to the backing plates with some plumbers strap or something. Get some time I'm going to try it, hopefully before a seal leaks and takes out a pump.

TallRedRider
07-07-2010, 05:25 PM
Yeah, my back pumps wouldn't mount up the same way because the backing plates are too small, but I was thinking if I flipped them, could just strap the pump motor down to the backing plates with some plumbers strap or something. Get some time I'm going to try it, hopefully before a seal leaks and takes out a pump.

Great idea. Let us know if you can get enough grip to stop it from sliding down. That would seem like a good solution. I bet you could if you put some 2 sided tape under the plumber's strap or something like that then it would stick tight. Then the outlets would not line up and problem solved!

Thrall
07-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Great idea. Let us know if you can get enough grip to stop it from sliding down. That would seem like a good solution. I bet you could if you put some 2 sided tape under the plumber's strap or something like that then it would stick tight. Then the outlets would not line up and problem solved!

I don't see having the time soon to work on it, but my thinking was to screw the strap in where it doesn't "bottom out" on the mounting surface, so it should tighten more with every turn of the screw. Some foam camper weatherseal tape or something similar would provide some grip too.