PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Prostar 205 - info needed

FlipFlop
05-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Afternoon all,

I am looking to purchase my first boat. I found a 96' Mastercraft 205 with a tower. I am waiting for the HID numbers, but had a few questions about the model year and engine. My main concern is that I am getting the upgraded hull from 95 to 96 and an EFI engine. A few questions

Does this boat have EFI? It has a flame arrestor, does that mean its a carburated engine? From my research, this could be an early model carburated engine fitted with an external EFI component. Care to shed some light?

I'm pretty sure the engine isn't the LT-1. What is another option that might be in there? The Vortec MX plus or the Power Standard. Names of engine options were taken from the 95' and the 98' 205 engine manual from the download section. (*Note, the 96 download contains the 95 manual.)

How can I make sure I'm getting the upgraded Hull? I primarly wakeboard and don't mind paying a little premium for the new version (over the 95' and earlier). I noticed the ski lockers in the interior might be different. Carpet for the 96 and vinyl for the 95? Anything else?

Here's a link to the boat:

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1996-Mastercraft-Pro-Star-205-96694682/?ZMC=Oodle&BAC-Oodle

Trailer looks original, but had a face lift last year. Paint, bearings, etc.)

Also looking at this, but no answer from owner:

http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/boa/1715341714.html

Thanks for the help.

Barefooter92
05-13-2010, 02:10 PM
I just purchased a '97 205 this winter. I did alot of research all from this site. Soon you will see everyone answering your question with links to other posts. Real quick I have found the '96 205 is a left over '95 hull. It did not follow the PS 190 for that year. IMO the '95 hull is the better hull anyway. The motor will be fuel injected Chevy 350 with 275 hp. I have found the fourth digit in the HIN number is the motor option and transmission. Again all information I have found here on TT or posted myself.

It is time for me to return to work, I check up on you tonight. Good luck with your MC purchase and WELCOME to TEAM TALK!

Kevin

mrprostar
05-13-2010, 02:48 PM
I have a 96 205 with the Monster tower. I love it. It has the Throttle Body Injection EFI. Not as nice as the LT1 but still EFI. Its the same hull as the early X-Star so it responds well to ballast for wakeboarding. Also has a very good ski wake. The "ski locker" is my only complaint about the boat. There isn't one in the floor only in the side. So you can only store two skis unless you want them to stratch each other. Board/ski racks are a must.

FlipFlop
05-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Sounds great. Thanks all The boat is only 2 hours away. Might take a look this weekend.

Found some good info on this link:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=34185&highlight=1996+hull&page=3

Still a little confused. I am looking for the hull the X-star is modeled after, like mrprostar. Take a look at the boat trader ad, the pics are pretty high res and you can zoom in pretty well. It looks like the hull is only has 1 side strake compared to the earlier models shown with 2.

mrprostar
05-13-2010, 03:13 PM
I can't say with with any certainty, but its looks like the same hull as mine. In '95 the sides where shorter (as described in the Prostar 205 FAQ), if you'll excuse my lack of boating terminology.

Ski-me
05-13-2010, 03:14 PM
A good read on the 205's.

It looks like you are after a 1996 or newer hull. The one shown in the boat trader looks like it falls in this window based on the dash layout. In 96' they changed the appearance.

east tx skier
05-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Both the boat on boattrader as well as the boat on Craigslist that you linked are the 2nd Generation 205, same hull as the original x-star.

cbryan70
05-13-2010, 03:23 PM
That one on boat trader is the 2nd Generation 205, same hull as the original x-star.

FINALLY a sure answer. I was not sure from the angle of the pictures.

ETS...you going back for your title as top poster :D

starman205
05-13-2010, 03:26 PM
The boat on boat trader is definately a 96 hull. The dashboard and the side window configuration give it away.

FlipFlop
05-13-2010, 03:40 PM
8 replies in 30 minutes. you guys are awesome. i'll keep you updated on the purchase. hopefully it all works out.

east tx skier
05-13-2010, 03:47 PM
FINALLY a sure answer. I was not sure from the angle of the pictures.

ETS...you going back for your title as top poster :D

Not unless you want me to start wishing a lot of people happy birthday. ;)

dmminfla
05-13-2010, 07:04 PM
Afternoon all,

I am looking to purchase my first boat. I found a 96' Mastercraft 205 with a tower. I am waiting for the HID numbers, but had a few questions about the model year and engine. My main concern is that I am getting the upgraded hull from 95 to 96 and an EFI engine. A few questions

Does this boat have EFI? It has a flame arrestor, does that mean its a carburated engine? From my research, this could be an early model carburated engine fitted with an external EFI component. Care to shed some light?

I'm pretty sure the engine isn't the LT-1. What is another option that might be in there? The Vortec MX plus or the Power Standard. Names of engine options were taken from the 95' and the 98' 205 engine manual from the download section. (*Note, the 96 download contains the 95 manual.)

How can I make sure I'm getting the upgraded Hull? I primarly wakeboard and don't mind paying a little premium for the new version (over the 95' and earlier). I noticed the ski lockers in the interior might be different. Carpet for the 96 and vinyl for the 95? Anything else?

Here's a link to the boat:

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1996-Mastercraft-Pro-Star-205-96694682/?ZMC=Oodle&BAC-Oodle

Trailer looks original, but had a face lift last year. Paint, bearings, etc.)

Also looking at this, but no answer from owner:

http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/boa/1715341714.html

Thanks for the help.

Both are the second gen 205's. An easy way to tell are the front vents by the windsheild. The older 92-95 205 have the rectangle vents on the side and the 96-to current X-1 have them located between the windsheild and the deck.

east tx skier
05-14-2010, 12:22 AM
Wider base on the windshield, dash and speedo pod, angle of the cushion in the nose, wide open coaming pads, different bow cushion seat bottoms, different thickness of the observer seat bottom, sides of the back seat are lower to accept the rear seat cushion as a sundeck, etc., etc.

:)

Ski-me
05-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Take a look in the "Market" place here on the MC website. There looks to be a few 96+ 205's in there that might work for you. One just posted for $8900 and in your area......

http://www.mastercraft.com/market/showproduct.php?product=3479&cat=5

FlipFlop
05-14-2010, 01:16 PM
I made an offer of $11k as long as the boat checks out. We'll see what happens.

My budget is just out of the range for other 205's I've seen. I was in between (dare I say it) a Sport/Air Nautique and the 205 and found the 205 to be more of what I was looking for.

I spoke with 'stuttgart' about his 205 in the 'Market' place and am considering it. Great price on the boat and it seems he's taken care of it mechanically.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I make the right decision.