PDA

View Full Version : Seat Mod for surfing.

snowslider76
05-12-2010, 09:55 PM
So after having my second knee surgery this winter I've decided to take it a little easy on wakeboarding this spring and do a little more surfing until I'm back to 100%(hopefully June).

I added 1100lbs of ballast to my back port corner in addition to the PWT and didn't like the idea of all that weight sitting on my seats so I made up these as replacement seats for surfing. I used 3/4" plywood and covered them in carpet. I cut them small enough to fit in storage when not in use and just store the factory seats in the starboard rear compartment when surfing.

snowslider76
05-12-2010, 09:57 PM
more seat pics

bturner2
05-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Should have filed for a patent before posting! Looks like the next option on MCBD. Nice job.

Good luck with your knee. I've been trying to recover from a pulled hamstring I did on a fall in October. Worked on it all winter and am still a bit nervous about going for the first time this year.

jdhart73
05-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Great pics!

kgrove
05-13-2010, 02:50 AM
So after having my second knee surgery this winter I've decided to take it a little easy on wakeboarding this spring and do a little more surfing until I'm back to 100%(hopefully June).

I added 1100lbs of ballast to my back port corner in addition to the PWT and didn't like the idea of all that weight sitting on my seats so I made up these as replacement seats for surfing. I used 3/4" plywood and covered them in carpet. I cut them small enough to fit in storage when not in use and just store the factory seats in the starboard rear compartment when surfing.

What did you not like about the sacks on your seats? Does your solution make the bags more stable and less likely to roll off?

I sometimes sit a bag on a seat. My biggest fear is the bag could get knocked off while somebody is standing next to it (like if a large wake hits the side of the boat while picking up a rider) and collapse their knee. It hasn't happened yet and I don't consider it a highly likely event since the weight automatically dips that side of the boat and tends to make it slide against the side and not towards the centerline. I'd feel better if it were secured, however.

Rye
05-13-2010, 08:30 AM
Nice job I dig it!

snowslider76
05-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Ha ha if MCBD pics um up the can name them after me or something the Jason Jump Seats. I think it would be a little hard for them to reach a good price point on these, it cost me less then $30 and an hour of time.

I'm not worried at all about the bags falling off they dont move either on these seats or factory. Hard to say if it's more stable prolly about the same. I just didn't like that much presure on the vinyl it would eventually stress seams and tear it.

Luv2Ski
05-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Nice clean work.

I too was concerned about putting sacks on my seats; however, I convienced myself that it was not a big deal. Assuming one puts the 750 lb sack (50"x20"x20") on their seat that should equate to 0.75 PSI.

I compared that to a rough estimate of a 200 lb person (assuming a typical butt is 12"x12"). It turned out that the butt resulted 1.4 PSI. Considering that a butt is actually much less uniform than a sack (most of the weight is transferred by the smaller butt cheeks whereas the sack is evenly distributed), I figure the sacks are considerably less stress than peoples' arses.

Does this logic seam reasonable?

That said, anytime you can get the seats out of the sun and away from loading they are bound to last longer.

snowslider76
05-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Logic seems right and the math prolly works out(I'm to lazy to check) so I'm sure your right. What concerned me, someone sitting in a seat isn't in a the same spot all day, on a weekend surf day my bags might me filled and sitting on the seats sometimes 8 or 9 hours that seemed to stress them pretty hard. It would take awhile for the form to bounce back. My bags didn't seem to evenly spread the weight, the corners always seemed to dent the seats in more then the rest of the bags. I'm sure some bags are different though. I just figured $30 and a little time was better then finding out the hard way I'd need to get my seats fixed.

Luv2Ski
05-13-2010, 03:53 PM
That makes sense and I agree that it is cheep insurance for $30 and a couple hours of time; particularly since your bags sat on the seats for a long periods.

Thanks for sharing

jbkriss
05-13-2010, 04:36 PM
Nice job matching the carpet on the benches to the carpet on the deck.

BriEOD
05-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Nice work.

Hmmm?! I always thought I was at a disadvantage being in a 205 DD for surfing (we do a lot of it) vs a V-Drive. I have a 500 lb bag in the trunk and a 500lb bag on the port wall between the engine box and free board. Never thought about having to put bags on seats. Interesting...