PDA

View Full Version : Advice w/2000 X-Star: Saltwater in Engine Compartment

jamis0n
05-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Long (painful) story short, our 2000 X-star engine bay was about 20" deep in saltwater about 4 years ago. (Hull plugs are important)

Everything has seemed to work fine after the water was pumped out and everything cleaned up. Last year, we got out to the lake and the alternator had apparently died (even after a $750 250-hour checkup at Mastercraft the week before).

I suspect the alternator was damaged by the residual saltwater inside it and am now wondering what other parts may be on the verge of collapse (fuel pump, starter, etc...)

Any advice on what is most easily/frequenltly damaged by saltwater exposure would be great. I'd like to go through the boat this year and make sure everything is working fine sans saltwater submersion. The boat has no symptoms at the time and runs great, but I'm worried something is slowly eroding and will come bite me one day.

Jim@BAWS
05-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Long (painful) story short, our 2000 X-star engine bay was about 20" deep in saltwater about 4 years ago. (Hull plugs are important)

Everything has seemed to work fine after the water was pumped out and everything cleaned up. Last year, we got out to the lake and the alternator had apparently died (even after a $750 250-hour checkup at Mastercraft the week before).

I suspect the alternator was damaged by the residual saltwater inside it and am now wondering what other parts may be on the verge of collapse (fuel pump, starter, etc...)

Any advice on what is most easily/frequenltly damaged by saltwater exposure would be great. I'd like to go through the boat this year and make sure everything is working fine sans saltwater submersion. The boat has no symptoms at the time and runs great, but I'm worried something is slowly eroding and will come bite me one day.

Well let me first say that the alternator failure had nothing to do with the service you received on your motor. Your motor I am sure was serviced not just checked out for $750

If this happened 4 years ago in salt and you have had NO ISSUES since then consider yourself very very lucky.

Here are a list of possible issues

a) Steering cable. It lays in the bildge and no matter how hard you try water will creep in . The NEW SS boats have Hydraulic steering. Salt water manages to really eat up grease and makes it very very hard
b) Starter. If it has not gone out by now...again consider yourself very lucky
c) Motor mounts. If they are showing rust, time to clean them up. You DO NOT want them
to lock up and not be able to be adjusted.
e) Anything electrical. If you have a paddle wheel system for perfect pass the connection at the paddle wheel connector may need to be cleaned w/ CRC contact cleaner. They don't like salt.

I dont know how often you use your boat in salt. Also dont know it you have a closed loop 1/2 cooling system installed if you run in salt. I will tell you that if you do, you need a flush system. Exhaust manifolds like the ones on your LTR will last about 300-400 hours in salt use depending on how well you take care of them.

Jim@BAWS

Jerseydave
05-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Hopefully after 4 years you've changed the trans fluid at least once or twice. The vent on the trans most likely allowed alot of water in to mix with your trans fluid.

BTW, Jim@BAWS is spot on with everything he stated (as if there were any doubt!) :D

jamis0n
05-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the advice.

You are right, the $750 was the full service for the 200 or 250 hour mark. I was pretty upset that I paid Mastercraft for that and literally the next time out on the lake, my alternator craps out. Mastercraft says they "tested" it, but offered nothing to help me get it fixed. Needless to say I have found another mechanic to service it.

This saltwater adventure was the first (and the last) time the boat will see salt.

Responses to your points:
a) I forgot to mention, the steering column was replaced and works perfect now (like you said, I'm sure this was saltwater damage).
b) The starter has not been replaced. Can I test this to see how "healthy" it is running?
c) The motor mounts are rusted and not adjustable (just confirmed with Mastercraft based on service history). How important is it to replace the mounts/bolts and have the motor adjustable again? I was just quoted roughly $800 to clean, cut bolts, lift motor, replace mounts.
d) The perfect pass works just fine, but I will check the connection where the paddle meets the water.

Thanks for the detailed response.