PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have seacock installed?

Rye
05-12-2010, 08:09 PM
I had to be careful how to word the thread.... Anyone have seacock just
didn't sound right......
Anyhow, I do have a question about it!

I did not order it with my new beast but there it was when i was checking
her out. I was like cool, why not have a filter just in case. Well my experience with it so
far is that I want to remove it and I hate it.
This is what has happened so far....

I got boat to lake and put it in and warmed it up a little on trailer, water was plenty deep
to start, then backed up. I was chilling for like a minute and the I said to myself let me check everything. Things looked good but I was surprised how warm the motor was in 60 degree water so fast. First thing I thought was is she getting water to cool her, I look at swim platform and it was really smokey so I quickly popped open compartment and look at seacock, yup dry as bone.... I quickly shut off engine, wait a bit, and after a couple of quick engine on and offs it finally primes and i'm good to go. I figured it was a fluke dunking it in for the first time....
So 2 days later I go to my boat and start it at my dock, I start and wait 10 seconds and walk back and check seacock and guess what, water is not flowing ***!! I shut engine off and upon second start water starts flowing...
If this is normal I will be removing it promptly, who wants to see if water is flowing to engine every single time you start???
So again, does anyone have any insight to what is going on.??? This will be my 9th year owning a MC and have never had a water flow (over heating) problem before and this is a brand new boat!
Thanks in advance

east tx skier
05-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Are you talking about a raw water strainer? If so, check the seal (should have a gasket at the base of the plastic lid). If they are not on tight, it can create problems. I've never personally had that problem, but I have heard of others who have. I have never had a bit of trouble with mine. As far as I'm concerned, they should have been standard equipment for a long time.

Sodar
05-12-2010, 08:17 PM
I think you have your words messed up.

The issue you are having is with your seastrainer, right?
http://www.monstermarinestore.com/images/productimages/000_200311.jpg

Not the seacock?
http://ic2.pbase.com/g1/84/622984/3/93290035.QvVASVZG.jpg

TMCNo1
05-12-2010, 08:21 PM
I would also check the impeller to see what shape it is in or just go ahead and replace it if it hasn't been replaced recently. Any wear on it can cause the pump to not properly pull water like it should.

2010Prostar197
05-13-2010, 12:58 AM
Are you talking about the black colored water strainer that has a round clear lid? If so, the one on my 2010 has been worthless since day one and it has been removed. I replaced it with a Sherwood strainer (got from Skidim) which has worked out great. My BU had the Sherwood also and 13 years of working good.

Assuming we are talking about the same strainer that comes with the salt water package, which apparantly is being installed on most all engines now, I could hever get the top seal to seal well enough to draw good water. The impeller on mine is not the issue. Once primed it was ok for the day but a few days later it would go through the same scenario of having a hard time filling with water.

I do have a plastic seacock that also came standard. The 09's and 08's, at least the ones I had access to did not have that or the strainer.

2010Prostar197
05-13-2010, 01:03 AM
Ok...that is a very nice looking strainer. I assume it is for water and 1 1/4 lines?

Is that the one you use?

I think you have your words messed up.

The issue you are having is with your seastrainer, right?
http://www.monstermarinestore.com/images/productimages/000_200311.jpg

Not the seacock?
http://ic2.pbase.com/g1/84/622984/3/93290035.QvVASVZG.jpg

Rye
05-13-2010, 08:27 AM
The MC user manual calls it Seacock Strainer.

thanks for the reply's! I did take lid off and really make sure that the
seal was seated properly and then it seemed to work. However a few days later it did not work upon first start.
Seems to me that I would be better off removing this or swapping it out for one that is more air tight. I was kinda surprised how far it was away from the engine, looks like a long run of hose for the impeller to pull and prime thru IMO.

As far as the impeller, like I stated it is a brand new boat. So unless MC put it in wrong or is faulty I am ok there. Also, once primed it works fine.

mayo93prostar
05-13-2010, 01:30 PM
rye, yea, but you stated that it ran dry for a while, hence, the recommendation to replace the impeller, new or not. I suggest contacting your dealer and tell them to fix it or remove it since it is a brand new boat. I do not understand why people get on here trying to solve problems themselves with brand new boats, other than if the dealer is too far away. I work on my own boat because it is old but if I paid the money needed for a new boat today, I would be on the phone to the dealer and have them come pick it up at my house to fix.

Thrall
05-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Don't have a strainer, but had a Perko Flush Pro installed on my 06.....for about 10 min. I know alot of people use those, as well as sea strainers without issue, but my Flush Pro wouldn't allow water in, similar result, little smoke fromt he engine compartment. Removed it, no issues then.
I've quickly become a big fan of no unnecessary parts installed in the raw water line.
I've boated in some pretty scuzzy lakes with my PS 190 and only once did the trans cooler plug up with weeds/debris. I'd ditch it.

Rye
05-13-2010, 08:15 PM
No, I agree on checking impeller b/c it ran dry for a couple minutes, new or not.
This time of year getting something fixed takes forever b/c they are so
busy and I paid them for boat. Now if I hadn't picked it up and paid in would be
done in a sec. Lastly, the very few times people have touched my boats in the
past they always do more harm than good. So, I do everything myself so that I know it is done right. Case in point, the dealer unhooked the hose going to strainer to run it with water hose attached in dealership lot. I figured I would check that for air leaks and make sure it was on properly after they disconnected and reconnected it. It was half on and the clamp was half tight. Regardless, I am going back to the KISS (keep it simple stupid) on my raw water cooling hose and removing stainer. I have never had a problem all these years without one on my lake!
Thanks!

brettmess24
05-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Seacock what a fun word to say:D

TX.X-30 fan
05-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Seacock what a fun word to say:D

I have my wife repeat it over and over and over!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D

TX.X-30 fan
05-13-2010, 09:23 PM
I thought it was something on a Carnival Cruise ship??

brettmess24
05-13-2010, 09:38 PM
I have my wife repeat it over and over and over!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D

That's even more fun, thanks for the idea!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I thought it was something on a Carnival Cruise ship??

Now would that be the Name of the company or what is actually going on the cruise ship.....???

east tx skier
05-14-2010, 12:11 AM
The MC user manual calls it Seacock Strainer.

thanks for the reply's! I did take lid off and really make sure that the
seal was seated properly and then it seemed to work. However a few days later it did not work upon first start.
Seems to me that I would be better off removing this or swapping it out for one that is more air tight. I was kinda surprised how far it was away from the engine, looks like a long run of hose for the impeller to pull and prime thru IMO.

As far as the impeller, like I stated it is a brand new boat. So unless MC put it in wrong or is faulty I am ok there. Also, once primed it works fine.

You can replace the seal. I little lubricant on it is advised as well. It's easier to clean out the strainer than the screen on the transmission cooler.

MariStar-Man
05-14-2010, 01:00 AM
On my 99 Maristar I installed one of these so i can run it in the driveway.

I was just thinking that I have no SeaCock Strainer, so I would assume if anything came into my Raw water pickup, it would hit the Perko next and possibly get clogged?

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x203/DocHoliday1964/1999%20Maristar/Parts%20and%20Engine/DSC01145.jpg