PDA

View Full Version : Need help hauling / storing my '71

LachNess
05-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Hey all,
our house on the lake recently burned down, and we're heading to the Tampa area.
Does anyone have an idea of how to best get it down to FL from NH and where I can do temporary storage while we find a new place?

Thanks in advance.

PS - Everyone got out alive, including the two beagles!

Jim@BAWS
05-12-2010, 03:09 PM
www.uship.com

Tampa HUH...I know the dealer there

Jim@BAWS

SunCoast 83
05-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Sorry to hear about your house. Are you making a move to Tampa?

LachNess
05-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Yeah, I always said if I ever move again, I'm going somewhere warmer...

thatsmrmastercraft
05-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Wow, sorry to hear about the fire. Glad to hear one and all made it out OK. that sure isn't the best way to cut back on the amount of stuff to haul on your move.

Thrall
05-13-2010, 10:22 AM
Yeah, sorry to hear about the fire, but it appears the most important stuff made it out alive.....family, pets, 71 S&S(:D)! Everything else can be replaced.
I presume you don't have a tow vehicle.
Do you have enough stuff to get a Uhaul van for the move? Hook the MC to the back and roll (just don't tell UHaul that you're towing it).
Rent a truck or suv one way? Do some research to make sure what you're renting has provisions for some sort of hitch (again don't tell the rental company, they don't allow towing).
Rent a truck one way from an equipment rental place, like Hertz Equipment, or RSC. They will let you tow, 1 way might be difficult.
Just a few suggestions.

Jerseydave
05-13-2010, 06:09 PM
First of all, sorry to hear about the fire and I'm glad everyone is ok.

I have space in my pole barn in NJ if you want to store it here for cheap until you get settled in FL. I could possibly even trailer it down to FL for you too if you have your own trailer. Maybe someone in FL needs something hauled back up this way, like perhaps Jim@BAWS?

I don't haul for a living, but I've been towing boats and trailers all my life. (even my 30' Formula) Maybe we can work something out. Shoot me a PM.

-Dave

LachNess
05-17-2010, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the thoughts. I spent the weekend getting everything that was salvagable loaded on a truck. The trailer, which I believe may be original, isn't really road ready for 24 hours to FLA...

JohnE
06-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Wow I missed this thread originally. Sorry to hear about this.

LachNess
06-10-2010, 07:54 AM
Hey, thanks for the good thoughts.
The boat is safely stored in the barn in NH for now, so no urgency there.
I am however toiling with the decision to either get it down to FL where we're relocating, and possibly selling it.
We're getting shafted by the insurance company, and may need to raise some money to cover living expenses until we can sell the property.

On a different note, I finally spoke with Kas (currently restoring a '72 S&S that Chris LaPointe set a world record with), and he apparently was able to research the old boats, and it looks like there may be one other '71 out there, but this boat may be the oldest one still out there (other than the '68 on display at the factory. So that's pretty cool. Really inspires me to go through with the resto.
Ahh around and around I go...