PDA

View Full Version : Teak Platform Help

samgreazy
05-12-2010, 09:39 AM
I just got my 02 X-Star about 2 months ago and as soon as I got it the guy said he had sanded it, and just to put three to four coats of teak oil on it. So when I got it home I did just that, but when I took it to the lake for the first time I noticed it was coming off in the water. Is that normal? I used West Marine's brand of teak oil. And it was probably a week after I put it on that I got it in the water. Anybody's have any idea of how I can keep it looking good for longer than one trip to the water????

jdl xstar
05-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Teak is one of the most popular discussions on this forum. Search "teak maintenance" and you will find an abundance of great info on properly maintaning your teak.

As far as your issue goes...my first thought would be that the oil wasn't dry by the time you put the boat in the water. 3 or 4 coats is a good amount so it would need a few days to fully absorb. If you believe it was dry, then I'm not sure what the deal is. Maybe that teak oil from West marine was low grade. Star-brite is a very good brand of oil and recommended by many on here.

east tx skier
05-12-2010, 10:29 AM
I usually let mine dry for quite some time before I dunk it in the lake. There will be some residue that will come off, but if the oil has a sealer in it, you should be good to go for some time.

samgreazy
05-12-2010, 11:37 AM
how long should it keep that dark glossy look to it?

notnowgus
05-12-2010, 10:40 PM
I used this stuff last year and I love it! It takes quite a bit of work to clean the teak initially but end result is outstanding. This year all it needed was a couple coats, which took an hour, and it's back to looking perfect!

http://www.marinestore.com/teak.html?cart=335654874739317

swatguy
05-13-2010, 12:29 AM
I stopped using teak oil a while ago. I now have a once a 1.5 season job that stands up to abuse of riding at least 2-3 times a week.

Product called Sikkens from West Marine Comes in 3 colors. Throw some of their grit/"silica" in the 2nd coat and it gives it some grip as well. I like the Natural Teak color. No maintainance at all during the year and it looks glossed and clean and stands up to abuse nicely.

here's a link to the pics
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=14640&page=11

Archimedes
05-13-2010, 02:13 AM
Is there anyone out there like me that really doesn't care what the platform looks like enought to put any time into maintaining the teak? I haven't touched my platform since I bought the boat in late 06 and it looks fine. Why so much hand wringing over the look of the platform?

CantRepeat
05-13-2010, 07:44 AM
Is there anyone out there like me that really doesn't care what the platform looks like ?

NO!............ :(

TayMC197
05-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Is there anyone out there like me that really doesn't care what the platform looks like enought to put any time into maintaining the teak? I haven't touched my platform since I bought the boat in late 06 and it looks fine. Why so much hand wringing over the look of the platform?

Have you lost your mind? lol

Jim@BAWS
05-13-2010, 08:24 AM

Here is some FUEL for the FIRE !!!!

Nah I'll stop right there! The PLATFORM Mods from above will rain "TEAKOIL AND BRIMSTONE" down on me HA HA HA ;)

swatguy
05-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Thats why I chose the route I did. I didn't want to have to oil it over and over and keep it up to stay gleaming like the boat. I like it looking clean becasue I keep the boat "anally" clean. Well still try, but the little ones make that a project more and more theses days :).

I just think the a clean deck completes the clean look and shows "you care" ;) With that said next boat is having a fiberglass one for sure

Archimedes
05-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Have you lost your mind? lol

Whaddid I say?

5280Hawk
05-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Teak is Classy.

93Prostar190
05-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Did I miss something? I was out oiling my teak ...

06197ttlq9-footer
05-14-2010, 08:56 AM

Will you post pics.

silverblueBP
05-14-2010, 11:35 AM
I used Formby's Gloss, Tung Oil finish and I'm on year 3. Still shines, nothing flaking off. Just needs a little touch-up where the wakeboard has taken a few chunks out.

It looked horrible when I bought the boat in 07. I sanded it down, cleaned it up and applied 4 coats over a 2 week time frame. It's held up a lot better than I thought it would!

Archimedes
05-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Will you post pics.

Joking or serious? I'm sure I could snap some pics. I just switched to a using fiberglass one, so the teak one's sitting out in my shed.