PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Hitch Extender?

seth25
05-11-2010, 11:29 PM
We are going down to Lake Powell for Memorial Day and I am wanting to take my jetski with us. I don't have a hitch on the back of my Mastercraft trailer, so I am wanting just to put the jetski in the back of my truck with the tailgate down. I purchased a 12" hitch extension to give me the needed clearence between the jetski and the bow of the boat. Anyone used one of these. The capacity is 5,000#, so I will be right around that number with boat and trailer loaded down. It seems a little scary with the 12" extension, but I have seen it done with people pulling trailers with a camper in the back of their truck.

Thanks

bcboy
05-11-2010, 11:46 PM
Yes I have used one and thought it might be a little sketchy at first but it did not take long relax and feel comfortable using it.One thing you have to consider is to extend your trailer plug and safety cables....the only really noticable towing difference is the extra tongue length makes the ride a little bouncy and you may need to adjust your load over the axles.
Good luck and enjoy your weekend!!!

Hollywood
05-12-2010, 10:53 AM
What sticks out further, the tailgate or the jetski? Might want to try "backing" the jetski in the bed w/o a tailgate and the nose may clear the trailer, no need for the extender.

Sodar
05-12-2010, 11:06 AM
I read that the hitch extenders decrease the hitch's load capacity by 1/2.

I want to build a super beefy version of this (http://www.discountramps.com/pwc-carrier.htm) and then be able to tow the boat behind that. It is probably insanely far fetched, but it would be so nice to be able to take the ski and the boat together.

seth25
05-12-2010, 11:10 AM
I have the 5.5' bed on my truck. The jetski is 9', so it sticks out 15" out past my tailgate when the gate is down. Just trying to figure out how it can be done with welding a receiver on the back of my trailer.

Dylan
05-12-2010, 11:54 AM
I have the 5.5' bed on my truck. The jetski is 9', so it sticks out 15" out past my tailgate when the gate is down. Just trying to figure out how it can be done with welding a receiver on the back of my trailer.

I had the same length bed, and same length jetski. If you put the rear of the ski in first without the tailgate, your hull should fit perfectly fine and be just as stable (since the contact area will be in the bed. It's at least worth a try, before buying an extension. I would definitely use that as a last resort.

Also, keep in mind it's rather difficult to load a ski from the water into a truck bed. Make sure you have a few capable people, and try to keep the gas tank empty :)

Ben
05-12-2010, 12:09 PM

You could probably have a reciever made to clamp to the back of your trailer if you don't want to weld. Depending on the ramp angle, you may need to remove to get the boat to slide off, unless the back of the trailer is low enough to padd the rudder & prop over it.

Ben
05-12-2010, 12:14 PM
I read that the hitch extenders decrease the hitch's load capacity by 1/2.

I want to build a super beefy version of this (http://www.discountramps.com/pwc-carrier.htm) and then be able to tow the boat behind that. It is probably insanely far fetched, but it would be so nice to be able to take the ski and the boat together.

I agree on the insane part, you would be putting the ball WAY back. I would suggest major modifications to the hitch part on the truck, or maybe your beefy version could include some gussets laterally and vertically to help react the longer bending moment.

Having said that, most things you do appear to be top notch, so I'd like the see the result... Plus you're not pulling a huge boat, which helps.

deminimis
05-12-2010, 12:18 PM
The only safe way to do it, in my very humble opinion, is to get out your checkbook and get a Super Hitch and a the Super Hitch extension. Crazy-expensive, but your boat is worth it, right? That's the route I had to go because of our frick'n huge truck camper. Even with the 4' extension, we're safely within our cap.
Image is way too big, so here's the link: http://www.torklift.com/images/supertruss.jpg

thatsmrmastercraft
05-12-2010, 12:30 PM
If you have a folding tongue on your MC trailer, is there any chance to replace the front section of tongue with a longer piece, thereby lengthening your tongue? Might this put too much strain on the folding coupler?

deminimis
05-12-2010, 12:37 PM
One thing to consider when fabb'n your own setup (and I'm all about fabb'n stuff), if there is a failure and someone gets hurt/killed, they'll be looking at you when lawsuit time comes. Again, I'm all for fabb'n stuff, but that was the consideration that kept me from building my own extension.

Sodar
05-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Seems like 10-12" could be shaved off pretty easily, just by sliding the ski closer to the tailgate.

http://www.discountramps.com/cargoImages/pwc-carrier-2.jpg

seth25
05-12-2010, 12:41 PM
I don't have the folding tongue on the trailer. I'm going to put the ski in the truck today and play around with it a bit. I may be able to put the nose of the ski in the front passenger side of the truck with the back of the ski angled to the drivers side. Since the sharper turns will be right turns, I may be able to get by with it angled and just be sure not to turn too sharp when turning left (since the rear of the ski will be angled that way).

I also thought of clamping on a hitch to the horizontal bar on either side of the prop guard. The ski weighs 550#, the trailer weighs 200#, so I would only be pulling 750#. Do you think that offsetting the jetski and trailer behind the boat trailer would pose a problem? It is just a single trailer, so if it was offset, it still wouldn't stick out past the boat on the side.

Or, I could just go buy a new F250 and problem solved.:D

deminimis
05-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Or, I could just go buy a new F250 and problem solved.:D

Ah, you mean your problems would just be starting. Sorry, couldn't help it. D-Max baby!

rd1900
05-12-2010, 01:37 PM
whatever you do, be careful with the dynamic loads, not just the static loads. the hitch extension can be incredibly strong, but all the loads still have to go through the receiver where it mounts to the truck.

can you pull a double trailer off a receiver hitch? here in michigan it can only be a pickup, fifth wheel and trailer

Forrest-X45
05-12-2010, 03:38 PM
The only safe way to do it, in my very humble opinion, is to get out your checkbook and get a Super Hitch and a the Super Hitch extension. Crazy-expensive, but your boat is worth it, right? That's the route I had to go because of our frick'n huge truck camper. Even with the 4' extension, we're safely within our cap.
Image is way too big, so here's the link: http://www.torklift.com/images/supertruss.jpg

This was going to be my suggestion as well. I had a custom built 40" extension built for my truck becuase of my truck camper. It was built by a shop that has family ties to torklift in the Seattle area. It handles the 700+ pounds of tongue weight of my 45 so this type of setup would be a good potential solution for you.