PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel is upside down when driving straight.

h2oski
05-11-2010, 01:03 PM
I have a 2003 X star pickle fork hull, and when I am driving straight the wheel is a half turn from true straight up. Is this as simple as pulling the allen head bolts flipping the wheel??

captain planet
05-11-2010, 01:09 PM
You should be able to unscrew the center cap on your steering wheel which will expose a nut. Loosen the nut and the steering wheel is on a splined shaft. Pull the steering wheel off and adjust accordingly. It might be wise to mark your wheel as to what straight is before you take it off to adjust. Pretty simple..unless the steering wheels have changed since my 98.

h2oski
05-11-2010, 01:13 PM
You should be able to unscrew the center cap on your steering wheel which will expose a nut. Loosen the nut and the steering wheel is on a splined shaft. Pull the steering wheel off and adjust accordingly. It might be wise to mark your wheel as to what straight is before you take it off to adjust. Pretty simple..unless the steering wheels have changed since my 98.

Its just one of those little things that drives me insane. I hope its that easy.

mayo93prostar
05-11-2010, 01:32 PM
driving straight and rudder straight might be a little different. at least in the older prostars, there is a little "preload" in the rudder/prop system such that a perfectly straight rudder is not straight course. You have to turn the rudder a little to counter the prop rotation. may not be as noticeable with a v-drive. the nut in the center of the wheel approach should be easy to adjust.

MariStar-Man
05-11-2010, 01:53 PM
My only concern would be Why is it canted now since I would beleive it was straight from the factory...?

On my 1999 Maristar, At any speed over 20 mph it would pull to the left. I was told if i file a Champher on the trailing edge ot the rudder it could straighten out...(the right side...)

The process was to file, launch and test. this is too impracticale at the launch ramp i was using.

instead I went under water while holding my breath and filed...lol It took about 12x times before the boat drove straight and at about 30 mphit would just slightly pull so I wouldn't have atotally neutral rudder and the possibility of wobble.

It is soo nice for the boa to drive straght when one lets go of the steering wheel.

So, regadless of where the steering wheel is pointing, i would first make sure the boat drives straight and then, make necessarry steering wheel corrections...

Here's a few pics origionally posted by TMC#1:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=50907&d=1251213322

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=50908&d=1251213336

If you attempt this, try first with small removal of material. It'easy to remove, difficult to replace...lol

Good luck keeep us posted.

Kyle
05-11-2010, 05:14 PM
If you drove the boat last year and the wheel was straight then you may have stretched your steering cable. I would check your linkage where the cable attaches to the rudder and where the bracket holds the casing of the cable in the rear of the boat. If everything is all tight and the cable has always been straight and now it is crooked, it is stretched. Mine did this right before it broke and lost all steering.

If you are a new owner to this boat then I would run it wide open with out any ballast and see where the steering wheel sits. If it is straight then it makes sense to be crooked at a lower speed and you can adjust the wheel by taking the nut off of the splined shaft and turning the wheel to best suit your needs.

My prostar will have a crooked wheel at low speeds but at 36 mph and in the slalom course it is dead on. Faster than 36 it starts to get crooked again. I also have a brand new cable in the boat. I also adjusted the wheel by taking the nut off of the splined shaft and made the wheel straight for ski couse speeds. I wish that it was straight from 1mph to 50mph but you will not find a MC out there that will do that. They all will be a little off.

JohnE
05-11-2010, 05:56 PM
If you drove the boat last year and the wheel was straight then you may have stretched your steering cable. I would check your linkage where the cable attaches to the rudder and where the bracket holds the casing of the cable in the rear of the boat. If everything is all tight and the cable has always been straight and now it is crooked, it is stretched. Mine did this right before it broke and lost all steering.

If you are a new owner to this boat then I would run it wide open with out any ballast and see where the steering wheel sits. If it is straight then it makes sense to be crooked at a lower speed and you can adjust the wheel by taking the nut off of the splined shaft and turning the wheel to best suit your needs.

My prostar will have a crooked wheel at low speeds but at 36 mph and in the slalom course it is dead on. Faster than 36 it starts to get crooked again. I also have a brand new cable in the boat. I also adjusted the wheel by taking the nut off of the splined shaft and made the wheel straight for ski couse speeds. I wish that it was straight from 1mph to 50mph but you will not find a MC out there that will do that. They all will be a little off.

Are you sure? My 214 wheel is straight pretty much throughout the mph range I think. I didn't shave the rudder since it gets used in open water with somewhat inexperienced drivers more often than in the course. Then again I never put much thought as to where the wheel is pointing but never noticed it off center....

Kyle
05-11-2010, 06:10 PM
My rudder is tuned. I like how a tuned rudder drives in a couse and if you pull hard like I do it makes it easier on the driver to maintain a straight path. A tuned rudder will make it pull to one side or another kind of like a bad alignment on a car. This helps you keep the straightest path possible. Mine pulls to the right and I have to hold slight pressure on the wheel and it tracks like it is on rails.

I have driven 90% of my driving on a ski course and it is really hard to tell how straight the steering wheel is until you can drive one in a course. On a public lake running wide open mine looks and seems straight but if you get it in a couse it is off just a tiny bit. Same thing happens with the slower speeds. I spent an hour fighting my OCD and trying to make it perfect. I am not saying that it will be 180 deg off or even 90 deg off, but if you drive an inboard in a ski couse and vary the speed you will notice that the wheel will be off slightly. I have got mine to about 5deg to 10deg off and that is the best it will ever get either with a tuned rudder or non tuned rudder.

Another thing to consider is that the different kinds of steering cables out there. Mine is a rotary style cable and a rack style may have helped this issue. I have driven several 02 and newer 197's and they have all been off a hair. To most it would not even bother them but to me it is not 100% perfect and I notice it.

vrsc
04-25-2012, 11:01 AM
My 1999 sportstar at anything past 40mph starts to track left and the sterring wheel needs to be turned crooked and off centered to the right to drive straight. I have greased the steering cable at the zirk fittings and lubed it but nothing seems to fix this issue. With some reading this seems normal for some mastercrafts. Is it?

Tomi
04-26-2012, 02:19 AM
This is the reason why I like the new 3 spoke symmetrical steering wheel... no way to tell if the wheel is centered or not. One thing less to worry about.

vision
05-20-2012, 01:37 AM
How far, on average, is the rudder from 0 degrees or true straight when most boats are actually steering straight at average speed? 2 degrees? 5 degrees? 10 degrees? Anyone ever check how far off straight their rudder is when the steering wheel is at the position that makes the boat drive straight? Curious as to how much the rudder is rotated to correct for prop rotation or other factors.

BrooksfamX2
05-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Next time you are on the water, go straight then stop the boat keeping the steering wheel position and take a look. Its likely a bit different for everyone....