PDA

View Full Version : Lake Powell Camping?

seth25
05-10-2010, 10:19 PM
A group of 9, two boats, and one jetski are going to Lake Powell over Memorial Day Weekend. We will be going to Bullfrog marina from Colorado. We are wanting to get a few hours out of Bullfrog on the water and find a decent beach/cove to camp at. Any suggestions on where we might find one? We will be setting up a tent camp somewhere on the shore, no campgrounds.

Thanks

wxnic
05-11-2010, 12:06 AM
water level varies to much. the beaches are never the same year to year. we always go around the corner to halls bay and find great beaches to pull up on and set camp.

FrankSchwab
05-11-2010, 04:07 AM
Order a couple copies of the Stan Jones map (http://stanjonesmaps.com/MapofLakePowell.html), or buy them locally. Huge amounts of information on the likelihood of camping spots up and down the lake.

I agree with wxnic - from year to year the campsites change radically. We normally start from Wahweap, so I can't help you much with areas around Bullfrog - never been North of the Escalante.

/frank

Thrall
05-11-2010, 08:41 AM
We'll be there Mem day too. Camping at the park service campground at the Bullfrog marina. Have fun!
Hope the weather staightens up before then!

Archimedes
05-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Last time I was there was before the big water level decline, so I'm no help, but our two favorite spots were a place in Gunsight Canyon close to Wahweap and a place that I believe was called Secret Cove about midway up. I'm sure they're both high and dry these days.

x-swagger
05-11-2010, 12:18 PM
has anyone ever been there on Memorial Day? I was hoping to go this year too, I will be launching from Halls.

My suggestion, if you go south and are there early enough, you can find some decent spots in Iceberg Canyon. Beautiful area of the lake, lots of fingers to explore.

TallRedRider
05-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Last time I was there was before the big water level decline, so I'm no help, but our two favorite spots were a place in Gunsight Canyon close to Wahweap and a place that I believe was called Secret Cove about midway up. I'm sure they're both high and dry these days.

Gunsight is still a great place, but it is a long ways from bullfrog where he is starting.

I will be there the second week of June...I sure hope it warms up some by then too!

teamhowey
05-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Try Mokie Canyon (i believe it was Mokie), a good distance but not too far from Halls Marina on the right side heading north. There are a few different fingers up that canyon that had good sites and wind protection last summer. Memorial day weekend, there are going to be people everywhere. The farther you go the less people, more difficult getting supplies and gas though. I sure hope you are not driving a prostar a few hour out of Bullfrog--that would be miserable.

R1 Boats
05-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Oak Bay is great, we were there last September. It's very close to Anasazi Canyon and Rainbow Bridge. Great beaches (September 09).

h2oskifreak
05-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Moki will be busy and gets rough with much traffic. Hall's Bay is close to Bullfrog but will be very busy over the holiday. I really don't think Iceburg is the place either. Not many spots to camp and sheer walls to keep the water rough. I might consider Hansen Creek or somewhere north. If you go So. from Halls you have to go several miles to get options. I would try Halls Creek, Bullfrog Bay and if that doesn't look good I would go North to Hansen Creek or beyond N. bound.

djkslc
05-12-2010, 01:51 PM
I agree with h2oskifreak go north, you will have more camping options in several canyons. Good Hope Bay is 20 miles north of Halls with areas to camp and a wide open bay you're bound to find smooth water in the morning and night. Plus for some reason the crowds seem to stay south. Holiday weekends will be crowded anywhere though. I was down in Bullfrog Bay for 6 days around April 10th this year, and it was a near perfect week, air in the high 70's, water near 60 (dry suit for me - i'm a cold water wimp), not a stitch of wind and not another boat in sight - got lucky for a spring trip. - I love Lake Powell.