PDA

View Full Version : Gauges were not working

meg
05-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Saturday for no apparent reason none of my gauges worked (fuel,engine temp........) I thought a harness may have come disconnected (it was real choppy) but none appeared to. Took the boat home and charged the battery and cleaned all the connections and alle the gauges worked fine Sunday. My question is can a bad connection/low battery cause this and if so how does it start but no gauges work?

Thanks

BriEOD
05-10-2010, 09:39 PM
It is possible you had a grounding issue. Or, the harness came lose on your control board (probably mounted on your kick panel). Glad it is working again.

Kingsley X-1
05-11-2010, 07:51 AM
I would say the batt is fine. My guess is a loose connection.

Kyle
05-11-2010, 05:27 PM
I would check your harness behind the guages where they connect. I would also check them where they connect at the back of the engine. I would disconnect and reconnect a few times to get a good connection. I then would check your ground at the block and the pos at the starter.

There may have been a loose connection somewere.

Kyle
05-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Looking at your profile and noticing you have an 06 MCX, low voltage could very much cause that problem too. Once the engine is running you have to have voltage for the ECM and all of the engine components. Just guessing but if you did not have a charged battery and had low voltage the way MC wired the boat may have had the dash go out because the alternator keept enough voltage to run the ECM and components and the dash did not have enough volts to power up.