PDA

View Full Version : First Day of the Season!! How did yours start??

vandit0022
05-10-2010, 02:12 AM
Whew we finally made it through the storms and crazy cold weather here in Seattle. The weather has shifted and yes, we hit 70, that's sunburn weather at this point. Had a great day to start the year off right......the boat worked flawlessly, I've detailed and prepped, and cleaned and waxed (and had lots done by the dealer over the winter :Thanks NWWS:), finally put the license numbers on, but I was the flaw today.

......the launch docks were nearly under water because the water level was so high, not many people out today, and wow, apparently I forgot how to load/unload the boat over the winter because I nearly got blown by the breeze into the docks trying to pick up my passengers and after drifting backwards across 3 ramps, had to shove off another boat and dock (really felt like an idiot); and later totally overestimated the side wind on my approach to the trailer, was counting on previously mentioned side wind to push me starboard side in line with the bunks on the trailer and but the wind stopped had a total side load but was able to salvage it without de-trailering, it wasn't pretty. Frustrating way to end the day.

BUT - I felt better after watching some other people on what I'm sure must be their first day of the season too:

1) Guy forgot to put the plug in AND didn't bother to take this tie down straps off
2) Boat backed up to the ramp, with a Saturn sedan, hood deep in the water jumping a cabin cruiser. Yes the cables were in the water at one point. ??? Really ???:confused:
3) Boat drove right up onto the dock, literally ON the dock, guy jumped off the boat onto the dock and just as fast as they ramped up onto the dock, they backed right back off like it was nothing. No reaction.
4) Overheard, did you put the battery back in the boat?? (they promptly left)

Anyone else have this kind of start to the year?? I can't be the only one.

CottagerGreg
05-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Boat looks sharp.... where are the ridin pics?

russlars
05-10-2010, 10:20 AM
We did have a great weekend in W. Washington!:D Put the boat in for some skiing Saturday for the first time this year also. Other than forgetting to put the plug in, forgetting to reattach the hose to the transmission cooler and the shower it went very well.:o Made for a few exciting moments at the launch, fortunately we were still on the trailer and no one was waiting. Great day skiing and wakeboarding though. Flat water and only a couple fishing boats on the lake and a pleasant 70 degrees.

Thrall
05-10-2010, 10:33 AM
My first day was not nearly as dramatic, but had a hiccup nonetheless.
Dumped the boat in the water and since I perfromed several surgeries to the cooling system this winter, spent a couple min re-checking every hose/connection, etc.
Came back into the dock, picked up everyone else, spent a cpl mor min idling, engine temp guage just starting to come up and start getting SMOKE out of the engine compartment!
Shut 'er down, cooled everything off with wet towels and figured out the r/w pump wasn't pulling any water. Somehow, the Flush Pro I installed wasn't allowing water to pass. Pulled it off and had a flawless rest of the day.

cdstukey
05-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Our first day was Sunday with the new 14v, checked for loose fittings/leaks before releasing from the trailer, nothing found. Only issues were with speedometer calibration, not a big deal. My wife even loaded it on the trailer like a champ on the first try.

WAProstar
05-10-2010, 03:01 PM
We actually got our first trip to the lake back in April. Boat had a little trouble getting started the first time, but once warmed up, it ran well. Most of my improvements from the winter worked well - no major issues or new issues. Water was a very chilly 50F. Did 2 sets and then called it good.

I only saw fishing boats out on the lake and the boat ramp was not busy, so I didn't witness any boat ramp bloopers.

broncotw
05-10-2010, 05:23 PM
First day report......

Sunny and a beautiful day.... Water 74 degrees.... Very crowded at the boat ramp..... Launched the boat with no problems and boat started right up with 1/2 turn on the ignition key (Gonna be a GREAT season were the initial thoughts percolating through my head at this point)! While driving around waiting to pickup the other party -- this guy in a Moomba drives within close proximity of me and begins yelling at me... I could not understand him at all and was wondering why this "idiot” was yelling at me! He continues to yell and when I finally understand him -- he is yelling "stump" “stump” “stump” to me!

Seconds later I feel a BOOM BOOM BOOM!

I ran the boat all afternoon and felt a slight vibration.... I knew exactly what happened and once the boat was on the trailer my thoughts were confirmed -- damaged prop..... Sent it to Eric at OJ Props.....

All is well....

Ted

capnkirk52
05-10-2010, 05:38 PM
That sucks. Still to cold up here to get out. Hopefully memorial day.

TayMC197
05-10-2010, 07:37 PM
First day report......

Sunny and a beautiful day.... Water 74 degrees.... Very crowded at the boat ramp..... Launched the boat with no problems and boat started right up with 1/2 turn on the ignition key (Gonna be a GREAT season were the initial thoughts percolating through my head at this point)! While driving around waiting to pickup the other party -- this guy in a Moomba drives within close proximity of me and begins yelling at me... I could not understand him at all and was wondering why this "idiot” was yelling at me! He continues to yell and when I finally understand him -- he is yelling "stump" “stump” “stump” to me!

Seconds later I feel a BOOM BOOM BOOM!

I ran the boat all afternoon and felt a slight vibration.... I knew exactly what happened and once the boat was on the trailer my thoughts were confirmed -- damaged prop..... Sent it to Eric at OJ Props.....

All is well....

Ted

did you still think he was an idiot?

broncotw
05-10-2010, 11:03 PM
No this dude is not an idiot at all!!! LOL

broncotw
05-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Hey TayMC190 -- I take it back! YES -- this guy is an "idiot"! He owns a Moomba!!!

thatsmrmastercraft
05-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Sorry to hear about the misadventure Ted. Sounds tough, but I suppose it could have been worse.

Latetowork
05-11-2010, 04:04 PM
We got out for the first time in April, on one of those 60 degree days. Identified some work items which I'm getting addressed now.

Jealous you got out, this past weekend was great weather.

JohnE
05-11-2010, 05:03 PM
I got out about 4 weeks ago. 75 degree day and no issues with the boat. I was prepared to be disappointed, but went without a hitch.

wake22
05-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Hey TayMC190 -- I take it back! YES -- this guy is an "idiot"! He owns a Moomba!!!

makes me not want to buy a mastercraft, you become that guy

JMann
05-11-2010, 05:55 PM
I'm hoping to get my first day of the season this weekend. It's supposed to be in the 80's.

Chicago190
05-11-2010, 06:21 PM
makes me not want to buy a mastercraft, you become that guy

It was obviously a joke - this is the Mastercraft owner's forum after all.

TallRedRider
05-11-2010, 06:51 PM
My first day was 6 days ago.

I rerouted the ballast system so that it makes sense now (a topic for a new thread all by itself). Put in a check valve going the wrong direction. Couldnt' fill the starboard ballast, flipped it around and all was good. If I was so good at understanding ballast, why did I put it in backwards in the first place? Had good water even though air temp started out in the low 50's, water in the upper 50's. Hope to get out tomorrow again. Boat started right up since I put a new starter in it.

A leak in my engine was found by the dealer...but I still had about 2 gallons of water in the boat after 90 minutes of riding this year. Last year I would have had enough to trigger the bilge, so we almost got it all fixed. Finding those last drops may not be worth the effort.

deminimis
05-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Just picked up a Wix 51069. Learned here that I now have a use for all the Rotella 15-40 in my shop that I refuse to run in my D-Max. Hitting a trials competition on Saturday, but Sunday is looking good for the 2010 inaugural wake making. Barn cats will have to find a new home. Fishermen of John Day and Columbia Rivers be warned!

cf_koch
05-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Still waiting for it to warm up enough to hit the water :mad:

brucemac
05-11-2010, 07:41 PM
i took the family out for a quick shakedown cruise on sammamish for mother's day (her idea). terrific day out, but didn't ride. water was still pretty cold. pp said, 58, but there's no way. it felt more like low 50's a foot down. regardless, boat ran great and the weather was near perfect.

can't wait to get back out there. looking forward to our roadtrips as well.

agua4fun
05-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Got out for the 1st time on Sunday. Put in no problem, went for a 30 min. cruise. Stopped and floated for a while to decide if i was going to ski in the cold water. When i tried to start up the second time, the battery was dead. Lucky I brought the jumper pack along:) Hooked up and started right away!! Whew!!

arrived back to the dock, waited 15min for the nut in front of me to get his boat on the trailer. When he was done i drove up on the trailer, pre-set boat buddy clicked, and was gone before he blinked. funny to watch him out of the corner of my eye :)

vandit0022
05-11-2010, 08:26 PM
i took the family out for a quick shakedown cruise on sammamish for mother's day (her idea). terrific day out, but didn't ride. water was still pretty cold. pp said, 58, but there's no way. it felt more like low 50's a foot down. regardless, boat ran great and the weather was near perfect.

can't wait to get back out there. looking forward to our roadtrips as well.

Yup, we were out on Moms day too......lake Sammamish was nice and calm but yeah my water temp said 60....there's not a chance it was COOOOLD. Didn't even bring the boards (I know how could I??)

Tlxstar
05-11-2010, 08:48 PM
My first day out was this Sunday - started at 6:30 am with an install of the X-Star custom ballast setup from Fly High (did it by overflowing the hard tanks into the bags and then out the vent so no flow valves, etc). Boat was in the water right after lunch. Ended up going wakeboarding despite the 57 deg water temps and 60 degree air temp. Was worth getting behind the boat, but boy was it cold. Boat worked great and the wake was amazing with the extra ballast. Need to do some more work getting the new 20 minute timers I installed to get the bags to fill all the way - project for next weekend.

Thanks to John and Pat at Waterski.com for putting the package together! Thanks also to Will at Gage Marine in Delavan for the advice on the install!! Really was straightforward with the great advice from everyone (plus all the great info on this site - including Skeeler and Roonie's install) I will post some pics at a later date as I left the camera on the boat.

Ok foiler
05-11-2010, 09:52 PM
The summer is looking a little rough here in the Oklahoma City area. There are three lakes in the are and one is shut down for two years due to a busted pipe under water and the second just got smashed by a tornado. Mother nature left us the smallest one to share. I guess I'll be at the lake house at Texoma every weekend.

canadianskier
05-14-2010, 01:18 AM
got out for the the first time thursday night, did some repairs over the winter and wanted to make sure everything was ok. So a call to C36 from team talk and he was more than happy to come along for a shakedown run. Well back down the ramp and the boat won`t start, dead battery. Good thing I brought my jumper pack with me, a quick jump and we were on our way. after running for ten min or so lift the engine box to check things over all is fine bilge is dry and engine is purring. Now its time for some skiing and I for got my wetsuit. I wasn`t coming all this way without skiing so just with a pair of shorts and life jacket I hop in, (talk about shrinkage). Only did two runs and was to cold for any more. anyway thats my first time out.

broncotw
05-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Got my prop back yesterday from OJ Props.... Looks brand new!!! I am ready for a second attempt.....

thatsmrmastercraft
05-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Hope round two goes without issues. Good luck!

scott023
05-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Started like a champ... :D

medicmoose
05-15-2010, 10:46 PM
So I finally got the boat out for the first run of the season. I thought for sure I could avoid having to post here but alas....here I am.

So I had been out for an hour just cruising around. I went through a narrow part of the lake and was slowly following behind a cabin cruiser. When the lake opened up I accelerated past the cruiser when I felt the boat surge a bit and then the engine got noticably louder...I thought I blew an exhaust tip off the back end. Then we noticed steam coming up from the engine bay and we were taking on a ton of water. The water seemed to be coming in so fast and the bilges were not keeping up so I made a bee line for the nearest island which thankfully had a beatuful sand beach with nice depth.

Once I stopped I noticed (after opening the floor access panel) that the water had completely filled the bottom of the boat....I had visions of the boat ending up at the bottom of the lake at one point.

Anyway, I noticed that the cabin cruiser was coming up right behind us and I guess our timing couldn't have been any better as it was the salesman from the MC dealer 2 1/2 hours away that sold us our boat. He climbed aboard and got right into the engine compartment and found the culprit....a blown (and I do mean BLOWN) fresh water intake hose. The boat has 54 hours on it so I am surprised to see this hose in the condition it is....I'm wondering if there was water in it over the winter casuing it to expand and weaken the hose.

So anyway, even though the day ended on a really bad note...I was glad to see this guy from the dealer jump right in and lend a hand....a real professional! He also gave us a tow back to our launch.

Anyway, the question I have is about the sudden surge I felt in the boat and the fact that the engine got noticably louder. Is it possible that a rush of cold (55 degree) lake water rushing into the engine bay could crack the exhaust manifold?? I haven't had time to check it out too closely other than seeing the hose. Are these hoses under much pressure...I mean enough to cause a hose to blow like this?? The good news is that I know the impeller is working great :D

No alarms sounded during this time and I had kept my eye on the temp guage the whole day and did not see it rise above 160 all day. During this situation I didn't notice the temp guage rise too high but I was also focused on the thoughts of making a call to the insurance company for a boat they now own on the bottom of Lake of the Woods 8p At one point as I was bee-lining for the island I noticed that the boat started to run a bit rough but again no alarms sounded.

What are your thoughts???

bturner2
05-16-2010, 07:40 AM
I seriously doubt 55 degree water would be a factor. We ski in water colder than that in the late fall all the time without issues. Both the MC and BU dealers sponsor polar bear events in dead winter without any problems and I would expect the water to be in the 40's. Based on your hours I'd have to guess defective hose.

medicmoose
05-16-2010, 09:20 AM
I guess what I was asking is whether the 55 degree water that was filling up the engine bay and spraying down the exhaust manifold would be enough to crack it....you know, cold water dumped on a very hot metal?

Thanks!

JohnnyB
05-16-2010, 09:29 AM
So I finally got the boat out for the first run of the season. I thought for sure I could avoid having to post here but alas....here I am.

So I had been out for an hour just cruising around. I went through a narrow part of the lake and was slowly following behind a cabin cruiser. When the lake opened up I accelerated past the cruiser when I felt the boat surge a bit and then the engine got noticably louder...I thought I blew an exhaust tip off the back end. Then we noticed steam coming up from the engine bay and we were taking on a ton of water. The water seemed to be coming in so fast and the bilges were not keeping up so I made a bee line for the nearest island which thankfully had a beatuful sand beach with nice depth.

Once I stopped I noticed (after opening the floor access panel) that the water had completely filled the bottom of the boat....I had visions of the boat ending up at the bottom of the lake at one point.

Anyway, I noticed that the cabin cruiser was coming up right behind us and I guess our timing couldn't have been any better as it was the salesman from the MC dealer 2 1/2 hours away that sold us our boat. He climbed aboard and got right into the engine compartment and found the culprit....a blown (and I do mean BLOWN) fresh water intake hose. The boat has 54 hours on it so I am surprised to see this hose in the condition it is....I'm wondering if there was water in it over the winter casuing it to expand and weaken the hose.

So anyway, even though the day ended on a really bad note...I was glad to see this guy from the dealer jump right in and lend a hand....a real professional! He also gave us a tow back to our launch.

Anyway, the question I have is about the sudden surge I felt in the boat and the fact that the engine got noticably louder. Is it possible that a rush of cold (55 degree) lake water rushing into the engine bay could crack the exhaust manifold?? I haven't had time to check it out too closely other than seeing the hose. Are these hoses under much pressure...I mean enough to cause a hose to blow like this?? The good news is that I know the impeller is working great :D

No alarms sounded during this time and I had kept my eye on the temp guage the whole day and did not see it rise above 160 all day. During this situation I didn't notice the temp guage rise too high but I was also focused on the thoughts of making a call to the insurance company for a boat they now own on the bottom of Lake of the Woods 8p At one point as I was bee-lining for the island I noticed that the boat started to run a bit rough but again no alarms sounded.

What are your thoughts???

Holy crap....I'm guessing water gushes pretty fast when you blow that hose!!!! How did you stop the water from flowing in to tow back to shore.....many of us would benefit from how to solve this should it ever happen to them.

medicmoose
05-16-2010, 10:18 AM
That was the easy part....shut the engine off. Then the water stopped coming in (since the water pump only operates when the engine is running) and the bilge pumps eventually got rid of as much water as they could.

I like having additional ballast but this may not be the wisest way of obtaining it!

Boater_C
05-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Lake Sammamish noticeably warmed up in the past week, and no wind since Wednesday!! Crazy good ski water all day, and not many boats!!

vandit0022
05-16-2010, 07:16 PM
Lake Sammamish noticeably warmed up in the past week, and no wind since Wednesday!! Crazy good ski water all day, and not many boats!!

Yes, it said 62 yesterday :) Still not getting in the water w/out wetsuit at least.

Kyle
05-17-2010, 04:13 AM
Sunday was my first day to get into the water. Had a great time. Threw a few wake rolls on a sky ski and landed. Took a long barefoot run and broke my eardrum when I sat down for a butt glide to land. Something so f ing simple and now I am out for 5 weeks.

bturner2
05-17-2010, 06:53 AM
I guess what I was asking is whether the 55 degree water that was filling up the engine bay and spraying down the exhaust manifold would be enough to crack it....you know, cold water dumped on a very hot metal?

Thanks!

I really doubt it. Those manifolds (under normal operating conditions) just don't get that hot. Even with the boat fully warmed up you can still touch them without getting burned. They just don't get hot enough to cause any serious contraction from 55 degree water spraying on them.

That is unless due to lack of water flow from the broken hose they were starved of water and got much hotter. In that case you're looking at typical damage from heat and not so much because water was spraying on them. From what you've posted it doesn't sound like you got to this point.

medicmoose
05-17-2010, 07:37 AM
Sounds great....thanks!

LaRue
05-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Finally made it to the lake after a long winter. Water temp still only 45 deg so we watched the docks and lifts go in and played 'wood police' for a while, picking up pieces of 2x4 whcih were floating around.

Biggest negative of the day- Lost all my guages after about an hour. MDC box is the diagnosis. Simple fix but don't like dropping that kind of cash on day one. Part is in the mail today

Biggest positive(s) of the day
1) Seeing and hearing our 14 year old son breathe a sigh of relief that we were finally back on the water. Like father like son.
2) Cory at Midwest Mastercraft. When guages went out around 3:30 on Saturday, hit speed dial, Cory was still working and diagnosed problem and provided great customer service, which he always has. Thanks Cory and Midwest Mastercraft!!