PDA

View Full Version : Stripped Threads

Footin
05-09-2010, 04:34 PM
I was putting the plugs back into the rear of the exhaust manifolds on my 94 TBI and I must have tightend them a bit too much. They never did go in very far and this time I pulled some of the threads out, now I cannot get a plug to start in. I went to a few store to get a tap and have not found one yet (Home Depot, Autozone, Sears).

I am now wondering if I can get a plastic garden hose valve to threadin and stay it with out leaking? Or will the plastic melt? Re tapping is an option but I really do not want to remove the exhaust manifold I don't have to ( I can see a broken bolt in the head nightmare now ).

Maybe I can get the tap to go in by removeing the exhaust hose for more room?

Any other idea's???????

Footin
05-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Something like this work? Maybe even in plastic?

JMann
05-09-2010, 05:33 PM
I don't know if it would work but what if you JB welded in the plug? Once it was dry you could unscrew it creating new threads.

yippikaiyay
05-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Plastic won't melt.

Jim@BAWS
05-09-2010, 06:05 PM
I was putting the plugs back into the rear of the exhaust manifolds on my 94 TBI and I must have tightend them a bit too much. They never did go in very far and this time I pulled some of the threads out, now I cannot get a plug to start in. I went to a few store to get a tap and have not found one yet (Home Depot, Autozone, Sears).

I am now wondering if I can get a plastic garden hose valve to threadin and stay it with out leaking? Or will the plastic melt? Re tapping is an option but I really do not want to remove the exhaust manifold I don't have to ( I can see a broken bolt in the head nightmare now ).

Any other idea's???????

Get some teflon tape and wrap the plug 4-5 X with tape. See if the plug will grip then
The tape will help seal the hole as water only flows through there, not a bunch of pressure there. Hope this helps

Jim@BAWS

JohnnyB
05-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Plumbing supply store may have the tap you need.

JohnnyB
05-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Also, could go plastic or nylon. I think the ones in my manifolds are nylon.

Footin
05-09-2010, 08:52 PM
I think I will try to re tap the threads and use a plastic garden hose valve. That will make it easy to drain in the fall.

mcmx2
05-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Discount Inboard Marine has these made for what you are trying to do.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MCM003

JimN
05-09-2010, 09:26 PM

Any other idea's???????

There's absolutely no chance Home Depot will carry this size of tap or die. NAPA has them, but if the cast iron is stripped, you'll be better off by going one size larger and using a Heli-Coil and permanent thread lock on the coil. Always use brass or plastic when installing a plug. Dissimilar metals won't rust together, like cast iron.

Ben
05-09-2010, 10:44 PM
I had rust in the threads one year I left the plugs out over the winter. I rented a tap from local plumbing store for like $5 - was $30-50 to buy I think.... It is tight quarters, but worked. I eventually want to go to quick rain too, but too cheap right now.

atlps190
05-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Hey Footin...

I have the tap you need...I needed to rethread my manifold drain plugs a while back when I installed the DIM quick drains.

I'd be happy to send it to you for you to use, and you could send it back when you're through.

PM me if you'd like to do this....

-Todd

Footin
05-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the offer!

It is fixed and back together. I was able to borrow a tap from someone, then I headed to HomeDepot, got a 3/4" to 1/2" brass reducer and a 1/2" ball valve. Retapped the threads and put the reducers and valves in. Now in the fall just a turn of each ball valve and the manifolds will drain.

I have not water tested it yet, I hope it doesn't leak.

Miss Rita
05-10-2010, 10:44 PM
Is your middle name MacGuyver? ;)

BriEOD
05-11-2010, 07:44 AM
Is your middle name MacGuyver? ;)

MacGruber...:D