PDA

View Full Version : About to be a MC owner

zpacheco
05-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Hi,

I am about to purchase a 1994 Maristar 200. The boat needs some TLC, but runs great. I just dropped it off at the local MasterCraft service center here in Arkansas. If it checks out with out any big problems, I will be sending him the check.

Like I said it needs some work, mostly cosmetic. The hull is stained this brownish color, looks like it hasn't been cleaned in years. The gel coat is oxidized, and some decals have scratches through them and are peeling. The interior will probably need to be replaced in a couple of years, but it's not that bad. My main concern is with the gel coat and decals. How hard is it to find new decals that match? I'm afraid of pulling them off, in fear that the color underneath wont match the oxidized coat. What can be done? I've read about gel coat restoration techniques, but everyone is a little different. Some say wet sand and others say just use a circular buffer. What's the verdict? what's best? Also where can you find the decals?

I am very excited to be joining the MasterCraft family and am looking forward to this little project. I would love to see pictures of other projects that have been completed and any advice is welcome.

Thanks

broncotw
05-09-2010, 12:15 AM
Welcome aboard zpacheco.....

You will finds answers to all of your questions here in this forum.....

Owning a MasrerCraft is truly one of life's greatest pleasures.....

For you decals I would first look to Jim at Bay Area Water Sports (Jim@BAWS)..... He has helped me and a friend of mine get the decals we were seeking...... Jim will go overboard in helping you and if he can't he will steer you in the right direction......

Again, welcome aboard.....

Ted

rsmith_5568
05-09-2010, 10:45 PM
mine was not horrible on a 86 but really cleaned it up with orbital buffer and a good buffing compound.

xstarplease
05-10-2010, 12:24 AM
Where are you located in Arkansas, and what dealer are you using? Hope everything checks out for you.

Hi,

I am about to purchase a 1994 Maristar 200. The boat needs some TLC, but runs great. I just dropped it off at the local MasterCraft service center here in Arkansas. If it checks out with out any big problems, I will be sending him the check.

Like I said it needs some work, mostly cosmetic. The hull is stained this brownish color, looks like it hasn't been cleaned in years. The gel coat is oxidized, and some decals have scratches through them and are peeling. The interior will probably need to be replaced in a couple of years, but it's not that bad. My main concern is with the gel coat and decals. How hard is it to find new decals that match? I'm afraid of pulling them off, in fear that the color underneath wont match the oxidized coat. What can be done? I've read about gel coat restoration techniques, but everyone is a little different. Some say wet sand and others say just use a circular buffer. What's the verdict? what's best? Also where can you find the decals?

I am very excited to be joining the MasterCraft family and am looking forward to this little project. I would love to see pictures of other projects that have been completed and any advice is welcome.

Thanks

oxberger
05-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Welcome to TT and congrats! You're about to be the proud owner of one of the best boats in the world. I'm in the process of doing a restore on my '85 SS and haven't tackled the gelcoat yet (it's really bad) I've read probably the same things you have and I think which method to use would depend on how bad the oxidation is. I know I'm going to have to wetsand. You may want to find a small spotsomewhere and try both methods and see what turns out best. Once again congrats and welcome!

zpacheco
05-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Im located in Little Rock and am using MC boats of arkansas in conway. From what I have seen so far they really know what they are talking about. Supposed to hear back from them today with the results of the inspection.

Thats a pretty good idea doing them both and seeing which works best. I will probably give that a go pending on the results of the inspection.

cordark615
05-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Those guys are great over there in conway,always bending over backwards to help ya. If ya go to GreersFerry Lake look us up in middlefork,will be in a black and white Maristar.