PDA

View Full Version : Shower Pressure (hot waterclogging)

stx22
05-08-2010, 01:40 AM
I know this problem has come up a bit, but my recently installed shower is continually clogging with sediment on the hot side. I am taking the hot water from the drain on the bottom of the passenger side of the engine block.
The sediment from the engine is clogging the hot feed. I have disconnected the hot from the mixing valve and run the engine repeatedly in an attempt to remove the sediment without clogging the valve. This is getting old and had been going on for two days, yet the sediment is still coming out everytime I start the engine.

Does anyone have a better way to remove this debris from the engine block?

On a side note, what is this from and is this a result of something that is doing damage to my engine. The boat is a 97 PS 205.

Jerseydave
05-08-2010, 09:52 AM
Not sure if this will help, but there is a product called "salt away" that boaters use to flush their engines after saltwater use. Maybe it will help get rid of some rust scale corrosion for you.

Sounds like your engine block has a rusty water jacket. Just curious, has the boat always been winterized using anti-freeze or by just draining everything?

stx22
05-08-2010, 01:58 PM
I wish I knew. For the first 13 winters I brought it to the dealer for winterization and storage. This winter i brought it to them for winterization and kept the boat to put in the shower, heated seats, new carpet, etc...
In doing so, I noticed that they do not seem to have done much more than drain it and charge me a fortune. I don;t think they even fogged it as it started up this spring and ran clean from the get go.
I am not convinved they even removed a hos since they were hooked up and don;t appear to have ever been removed. I also noticed that they didn't bother to disconnect the the raw water intake from the transmission cooler (not sure if this is common) or otherwise drain the water from this area but there was a bunch of water and weeds in there which seems like probably a bad place for them...
Full disclosure, they are no longer an MC dealer.

Thrall
05-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Uh, yeah, just winterize it yourself, takes like 10 min....couple hrs if you change the oil and trans too.
Try unhooking the shower hose, in fact open up both block drains and run it a little in the driveway, or maybe run/drain/run/drain.
The shower on my 190 got clogged once, pulling hot water from the block drain.
The one I installed on my X2, I pulled the hot water from the plug in the intake manifold where the shower hooks up.

Thrall
05-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Right here...

stx22
05-08-2010, 03:00 PM
yeah, I have learned my lesson and will be doing it myself from now on. I thought it was cheaper to bring it to them and let the pros do it when figuring my time, etc... lesson learned I guess.

The boat is in the water so i was hoping there was an easier fix without yanking it.

macattack
05-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Some folks say if you move the hot water source from the bottom to the top of the engine, the water is not hot enough?? I had the same problem initially with sediment clogging the shower fillter diluter screens, so I took the hot shower hose off, as suggested earlier in this thread, and ran the engine/shower until the water ran clear. I then installed two in-line filters (cold/hot side)with removal tops (easy to clean out) to capture any big sediment before it reached the shower diluter valve screens. The way my shower diluter panel is installed, you need to remove the back storage panel to access the diluter screens to clean them out...not very efficient. I also run my shower after every outing to continually wash out any sediment that may be forming in the bottom of the engine block. Did this mod last summer, so far it has worked great/no more sediment clogs...hope this helps, mac

Thrall
05-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Good idea macattack.
Re: water not being hot enough off of the top of the engine. I've only used my new setup once, but pulling water from the intake as pictured above, it was plenty hot, and the lake was about 45deg. I had to add some cold water to the mix to be able to stand it.

stx22
05-19-2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks. I ran the engine a ton without the hot hooked up, but every time I would start, or turn off the engine, it would get clogged again (eventually). For now it will work as set up, but I will install a couple of in-line filters before the end of the summer. Thanks for all the input.