PDA

View Full Version : running rough over 2500 rpms

sgmairs
05-07-2010, 10:03 PM
09 x15 with about 35 hours... First outting of the season tonight and she ran great until @2500-it would vibrate badly and feel like it was bogging down under a load -drop it down below 2500 and it would smooth out again. It did this several times before I just limped back to the dock. I treated the fuel last fall with sea foam with half a tank. This spring I was told to add another bottle and filler up, which is what I did. I am hoping its bad gas but I am not sure. Any ideas on what the problem could be, or is this a case of old gas and a not so bright newbie.

JimN
05-07-2010, 10:11 PM
09 x15 with about 35 hours... First outting of the season tonight and she ran great until @2500-it would vibrate badly and feel like it was bogging down under a load -drop it down below 2500 and it would smooth out again. It did this several times before I just limped back to the dock. I treated the fuel last fall with sea foam with half a tank. This spring I was told to add another bottle and filler up, which is what I did. I am hoping its bad gas but I am not sure. Any ideas on what the problem could be, or is this a case of old gas and a not so bright newbie.

Are you doing your own service or taking it in? It's under warranty, so I would recommend having the dealer look at it.

Look at the spark plugs- are they wet with gas? Are you letting it warm up completely before hitting the throttle?

sgmairs
05-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Dealer serviced. I was just wanting to avoid taking it out of the water and hauling it to the dealer if it was a simple fix. And I thought I would tap this vast aray of experience before resorting to that.

sk8salomon
05-08-2010, 07:28 AM
prop ding?

TMCNo1
05-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Also check for a bad or broken spark plug.
I took a new PS190 to Okeeheelee Park in West Palm Beach in for the UNC Ski Team for a week training session and the boat ran perfect at all speeds except while tricking, when it was under a good load. Three weeks later after we go back during the 100 hour service, it was discovered at the dealer that the porcelain was cracked on one of the spark plugs.

JimN
05-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Dealer serviced. I was just wanting to avoid taking it out of the water and hauling it to the dealer if it was a simple fix. And I thought I would tap this vast aray of experience before resorting to that.

Which motor?

sgmairs
05-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks I'll check the plugs. It is a MCX (?) 350 hp.

sgmairs
05-11-2010, 08:32 AM
checked the plugs - no problems. I was going to take the boat back to the dealer... On the way to the trailer I took it out to refresh my memory and it ran like it was supposed to. Could it have something in the fuel line (clogged maybe) or do you think maybe it could have been a hick-up in my computer? Should I assume that the problem has worked itself out and forget about it or take it in to be looked at none the less?

JimN
05-11-2010, 09:53 AM
checked the plugs - no problems. I was going to take the boat back to the dealer... On the way to the trailer I took it out to refresh my memory and it ran like it was supposed to. Could it have something in the fuel line (clogged maybe) or do you think maybe it could have been a hick-up in my computer? Should I assume that the problem has worked itself out and forget about it or take it in to be looked at none the less?

Do a search here for other MCX issues, and if there's anything that sounds familiar, consider taking it in to have it checked. They should check the fuel pressure under load, connect it to their diagnostic computer for data acquisition and check the fuel quality.

I doubt the computer has an issue but until it's connected for diagnostics, an EEPROM failure can't be seen.There's a specific code for that and it won't show up with a scanner.

sgmairs
05-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Thanks... Will do.