PDA

View Full Version : Tired of looking for Penzoil 15W40 Marine...

CHAR250R
05-07-2010, 07:37 PM
What other oil options are available?
I can only find it in 1 gallon bottles. :confused:

TX.X-30 fan
05-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Delo, Rotella....................ect?

daverbeck
05-08-2010, 12:22 AM
I run Mobil1 15W-50

Sodar
05-08-2010, 02:04 AM
Any 15W-40 will work. The previously listed options are all good.

TMCNo1
05-08-2010, 07:18 AM
Any 15W-40 will work. The previously listed options are all good.

Go to any quick lube or auto parts and they can tell you who the local distributor is for Pennzoil products and can even order it for you if you want, Otherwise, any brand 15W-40 will work.
Here, http://www.pennzoil.com/#/motor-oil, you can put in your Zip Code and find a retailer in your area, under "Oil Locator" at the bottom of the page.

JohnnyB
05-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Go to any quick lube or auto parts and they can tell you who the local distributor is for Pennzoil products and can even order it for you if you want, Otherwise, any brand 15W-40 will work.
Here, http://www.pennzoil.com/#/motor-oil, you can put in your Zip Code and find a retailer in your area, under "Oil Locator" at the bottom of the page.

Had the same problem you did. Opened the yellow pages and found the Penzoil distributor for my area who is actually about a mile from my office. Only drawback is buying it by the case. I get 2 2/5 seasons of oil out of one stop.

east tx skier
05-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Since your 89 Tristar has a 351 with a flat tappet cam, there is a growing consensus that you need to use a motor oil with adequate levels of zinc (ZDDP). Neither Pennzoil nor Rotella are going to meet that standard with their current specs. I run Valvoline VR-1 20W50. I believe Delo has something that will work as does Royal Purple. Probably others as well.

Thrall
05-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Since your 89 Tristar has a 351 with a flat tappet cam, there is a growing consensus that you need to use a motor oil with adequate levels of zinc (ZDDP). Neither Pennzoil nor Rotella are going to meet that standard with their current specs. I run Valvoline VR-1 20W50. I believe Delo has something that will work as does Royal Purple. Probably others as well.

First unleaded gas, now unleaded oil! What's this world coming to?:rolleyes:

CHAR250R
05-08-2010, 06:17 PM

Very interesting. What are your thoughts on Mobil 1?

east tx skier
05-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Very interesting. What are your thoughts on Mobil 1?

I don't recall if they have anything that has the appropriate levels or not.

CHAR250R
05-10-2010, 04:40 PM
I called Castrol, and they recommended SAE 30 just like my manual says. Royal Purple says Max Cycle 10W40. Mobil 1 says Diesel 5W40. ????? Is there really a "correct" oil for this motor, or are they just trying to sell me their product?

east tx skier
05-10-2010, 05:12 PM
I called Castrol, and they recommended SAE 30 just like my manual says. Royal Purple says Max Cycle 10W40. Mobil 1 says Diesel 5W40. ????? Is there really a "correct" oil for this motor, or are they just trying to sell me their product?

I'm no expert. The holiday inn express answer is ... As for weight, it depends on the environment, specifically the temperature range (ambient) in which you're operating your boat. I run a 20W50 VR-1 because it's easy to find, but, in Texas, I could probably get away with a single weight, i.e. SAE 40, in the VR-1 as well since the outside temp is typically not too cold when I'm starting my boat.

As for Castrol, I have read something that said they reduced the ZDDP in their oils around 2006 to about half of what it was. I don't know what the ppm is for sure though. Did you ask them about that?

I believe the VR1 has about 1,200 ppm Zinc and 1,300 ppm phosphorous. I'm not pushing a specific brand by any means. I'm just trying to provide you with a basis of comparison.

TX.X-30 fan
05-10-2010, 05:20 PM
I'm no expert. The holiday inn express answer is ... As for weight, it depends on the environment, specifically the temperature range (ambient) in which you're operating your boat. I run a 20W50 VR-1 because it's easy to find, but, in Texas, I could probably get away with a single weight, i.e. SAE 40, in the VR-1 as well since the outside temp is typically not too cold when I'm starting my boat.

As for Castrol, I have read something that said they reduced the ZDDP in their oils around 2006 to about half of what it was. I don't know what the ppm is for sure though. Did you ask them about that?

I believe the VR1 has about 1,200 ppm Zinc and 1,300 ppm phosphorous. I'm not pushing a specific brand by any means. I'm just trying to provide you with a basis of comparison.

Bigmac?????

TX.X-30 fan
05-10-2010, 05:21 PM

JimN??????

CHAR250R
05-11-2010, 08:47 AM

So far I have found these 2 oils to be what the boat needs: Royal Purple Max Cycle 10W30 @ 13.00 per quart (ouch) and Valvoline VR1 10W30. Need to find out what the Valvoline cost. Castrol doesn't make many oils with ZDDP anymore. No 10W30 with ZDDP. The quest continues...

rd1900
05-11-2010, 09:40 AM
This hunt for ZDDP is completely overblown. Every good, modern oil has other additives that perform the same function ZDDP used to. Take a look at the automotive world. No automotive company is using a special ZDDP oil, and a great number of engine, especially in Europe, continue to use very effective flat tappets (in overhead cam applications).
Porsche engine are all flat tappet valvetrains, and they use Mobil 1 in everything.
I'm up north, I use 5w30 Mobil 1 in my '89 PS, and it runs great with excellent oil pressure. Keep in mind that heavy weight oils rob horsepower, especially in our relatively cool running engines.

One more thing - the stress at the rocker arm/valve tip interface is far more critical than the cam/lifter interface. This is a flat/flat interface in every engine.

east tx skier
05-11-2010, 11:24 AM
I'll confess that I'm no oil expert. However, there are a lot of people who know much more than me who will tell you that it is not worth disregarding and who are running flat tappet 351 Windsors in direct drive ski boats. That's enough for me to spend the $5 or so extra per oil change.

Out of curiosity, which additives in particular are you claiming perform the equivalent function of ZDDP?

As for Porsche, I'm reminded of a post in one of these discussions from a couple of years ago. It read, "I keep a pair of pitted and brinnelled camshafts from a 26K 993 engine on my desk to show people the result of using SM-oils in these engines." Of course, your mileage may vary. Here is another article concerning motor oil in air cooled Porsches (http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html).

One last thing. It's never been a "hunt" for ZDDP. My local Autozone carries VR-1. I have not seen any noticeable performance decreases going from a 40 weight oil to 20W50. However, I have considered going to a Straight 40 weight oil in the VR-1, since it is available and I operate in relatively warm (understatement) ambient temps and probably will be alright without a multiweight oil.

In the end, each of us has to make the decision when it comes to our own boats. You and I have made ours. The OP now gets to, if he's curious, wade through the oil debates of the last couple of years to make his. For further reading, there is a very good discussion in a thread on www.correctcraftfan.com.

rd1900
05-11-2010, 01:08 PM
This is a very good reference on ZDDP:
http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/2004-01-2986
Search for "How much ZDP is enough?" are you will find enough excerpts without buying the whole paper.

VR-1 is a very good oil, I'm sure you will have no problems with it.

I also doubt you would see much real world performance impact among the oil weights you are considering.

As for the Porsche stuff, it's important to not take extreme incidents out of context. Many, many more Porsche engines that perform very well on modern oil than fail at 26K miles.

I spent many years working on the engineering of valvetrain components. Oiling, contact stress, wear, durability, etc. and all big concerns and all have thoroughly engineered solutions (metallurgy, surface finishes, coatings, etc.)

CHAR250R
05-11-2010, 02:08 PM
This hunt for ZDDP is completely overblown. Every good, modern oil has other additives that perform the same function ZDDP used to. Take a look at the automotive world. No automotive company is using a special ZDDP oil, and a great number of engine, especially in Europe, continue to use very effective flat tappets (in overhead cam applications).
Porsche engine are all flat tappet valvetrains, and they use Mobil 1 in everything.
I'm up north, I use 5w30 Mobil 1 in my '89 PS, and it runs great with excellent oil pressure. Keep in mind that heavy weight oils rob horsepower, especially in our relatively cool running engines.

One more thing - the stress at the rocker arm/valve tip interface is far more critical than the cam/lifter interface. This is a flat/flat interface in every engine.

I spoke to a person at Mobil, about Mobil 1... he didn't have a very solid answer for which oil I shoud use in my boat. I thought that was odd. So far I like the Valvoline VR 1 10W30. My manual says SAE 30 weight oil. The VR 1 has the ZDDP in it, while most other oils don't have it anymore. I think I'm making a big deal over nothing, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

JohnE
05-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Bigmac?????

JimN??????

LMAO Stu!:D

TX.X-30 fan
05-11-2010, 06:41 PM
LMAO Stu!:D

:D

The counselor was not amused I'm afraid................ :mad:

Those flat tappets can make a guy grumpy.

east tx skier
05-12-2010, 12:24 AM
:D

The counselor was not amused I'm afraid................ :mad:

Those flat tappets can make a guy grumpy.

Slightly amused. This is my slightly amused face.

http://a4.vox.com/6a00d41430b43c685e0110168b8314860d-500pi

Bigmac only shows up when someone suggests Amsoil.

Jim shows up when people start swearing by the plunger with a hose attached to it.

JohnE
05-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Counselor made me lmao too!

ahhudgins
05-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Ok, I have to ask and open myself up to a flogging. Whatís the difference between Penzoil 10W40 in a 1 quart bottle, and Penzoil 10W40 in a one gallon bottle? Iíve used Penzoil in my F150s and my MCs since I was in diapers and Iíve been buying the one gallon jugs since they came out. (Knock on wood) Iíve never had any oil related issues with any of my trucks or boats. Let the flogging commence!

TX.X-30 fan
05-12-2010, 08:06 PM
Counselor made me lmao too!

Me also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

That's a cute kid any relation Counselor??

TMCNo1
05-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Ok, I have to ask and open myself up to a flogging. Whatís the difference between Penzoil 10W40 in a 1 quart bottle, and Penzoil 10W40 in a one gallon bottle? Iíve used Penzoil in my F150s and my MCs since I was in diapers and Iíve been buying the one gallon jugs since they came out. (Knock on wood) Iíve never had any oil related issues with any of my trucks or boats. Let the flogging commence!

No difference whatsoever, except the size of the container. I would check the quanity of the big jug, because most I've seen are 5 quart jugs, like the Valvoline 5W-30 and the 10W40 I buy for our road vehicles.

rsmith_5568
05-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Why cant i run the same oil i run in my truck they are both v-8 engines what is the difference and what is best. My father always used Quaker State that is what i use. now let the flogging begin

east tx skier
05-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Me also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

That's a cute kid any relation Counselor??

None. Google Image Search for "mildly amused."

east tx skier
05-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Why cant i run the same oil i run in my truck they are both v-8 engines what is the difference and what is best. My father always used Quaker State that is what i use. now let the flogging begin

Depends. What kind of truck do you have?

CHAR250R
05-12-2010, 09:17 PM

No difference. My boat requires 4 and 1/2 quarts. I didn't want to buy 1 gallon extra just for a 1/2 quart. I found out there is no ZDDP in Penzoil, so I don't want it.

east tx skier
05-12-2010, 09:41 PM
No difference. My boat requires 4 and 1/2 quarts. I didn't want to buy 1 gallon extra just for a 1/2 quart. I found out there is no ZDDP in Penzoil, so I don't want it.

I don't think there is no ZDDP in it. Just reduced from prior specifications.

ahhudgins
05-12-2010, 10:30 PM

Cool, I thought people were saying the oil was actually different. The "gallon jug" is 5 quarts and my F150 takes 6 quarts. I just keep an extra jug on hand for the additional quart. I guess everyone stays loyal to the brand of oil they use and the beer they drink.

Footin
05-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Very true: Mobil 1 and Bud.

CHAR250R
05-13-2010, 01:38 PM
I don't think there is no ZDDP in it. Just reduced from prior specifications.

True.
300 PPM from what I read somewhere.

rsmith_5568
05-14-2010, 06:40 AM
Chevrolet Avalanche with 5.3