PDA

View Full Version : High Idle Question

TEAL98
05-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Ok, this may sound like a dumb question, but it's pretty irritating to me, and I'm pretty anal when it comes to perfection about my beloved boat. I try to do my best to keep things in perfect working order. But when the engine is warm, and I'm try to put the boat back on the trailer, I always start from a distance and go between Neutral and In Gear, just to adjust the bow so It will ride perfectly up on the trailer, and not too hard either. I can usually do it in one shot, but on occassion I've had to do a 2nd go around. On the times when I've had to do a second go around, the idle will jump up to 1100 or 1200RPMs. Not only is it irritating, but I know it can't be easy on the trans either.

Sometimes it's happened with me on the lake, when I'm trying to teach these 2 kids and my friend how to ski and recently wakeboard. My assumption is that it's being caused by me constantly taking it in and out of gear, but I just don't see the logic of how it would trip the computer to jump the idle up:confused:

In the end, I guess if everybody was a decent skiier I wouldn't have this problem. My skills with putting the boat back on the trailer have definately improved since I got it last fall, so no worries there much anymore:rolleyes:

I've tried shutting the engine off for 2-3 minutes at a time when out on the lake, and the problem still exists until I run it in gear for 5+ minutes. Anybody have any idea what's going on with this?:(

sk8salomon
05-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Might be helpful to list boat year, model, etc but if I had to assume would it be '98 PS190? I'm assuming fuel injected? You know what happens when people "assume":D

TEAL98
05-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Might be helpful to list boat year, model, etc but if I had to assume would it be '98 PS190? I'm assuming fuel injected? You know what happens when people "assume":D

Of course you're assumption would be correct :D In fact, it's a TEAL98 190 :D And yes, it's fuel injected (1998), Indmar Vortec 5.7L. Amazing.... 34 views and no feedback:confused:

André
05-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Not normal for sure.Bumping the boat in forward and neutral shouldn't do that to your idle.
Do you have PP? Could the linkage of PP be loose or badly adjust? Just a guest...
Have you visually checked the linkage when this happens?

JimN
05-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Ok, this may sound like a dumb question, but it's pretty irritating to me, and I'm pretty anal when it comes to perfection about my beloved boat. I try to do my best to keep things in perfect working order. But when the engine is warm, and I'm try to put the boat back on the trailer, I always start from a distance and go between Neutral and In Gear, just to adjust the bow so It will ride perfectly up on the trailer, and not too hard either. I can usually do it in one shot, but on occassion I've had to do a 2nd go around. On the times when I've had to do a second go around, the idle will jump up to 1100 or 1200RPMs. Not only is it irritating, but I know it can't be easy on the trans either.

Sometimes it's happened with me on the lake, when I'm trying to teach these 2 kids and my friend how to ski and recently wakeboard. My assumption is that it's being caused by me constantly taking it in and out of gear, but I just don't see the logic of how it would trip the computer to jump the idle up:confused:

In the end, I guess if everybody was a decent skiier I wouldn't have this problem. My skills with putting the boat back on the trailer have definately improved since I got it last fall, so no worries there much anymore:rolleyes:

I've tried shutting the engine off for 2-3 minutes at a time when out on the lake, and the problem still exists until I run it in gear for 5+ minutes. Anybody have any idea what's going on with this?:(

I don't know that I would assume the ECM causes the idle speed to increase until the mechanical causes can be eliminated. Check the things André mentioned and then consider the electrical/electronic possibilities.

TEAL98
05-10-2010, 12:50 AM
I don't have PP installed on the boat (not yet anyways), and everything else seems to be just fine. Fired it up on the hose this morning, everything turned out okay... 65 degrees and wind gusting like crazy, made me keep the boat out of the water this weekend. Guess I'll try to re-enact the situation with the engine cover up next weekend, and see what happens. I'll definately keep you guys posted though

JimN
05-10-2010, 01:32 AM
I don't have PP installed on the boat (not yet anyways), and everything else seems to be just fine. Fired it up on the hose this morning, everything turned out okay... 65 degrees and wind gusting like crazy, made me keep the boat out of the water this weekend. Guess I'll try to re-enact the situation with the engine cover up next weekend, and see what happens. I'll definately keep you guys posted though

An easy way to find out if something other than the ECM and its systems is raising the idle speed is to remove the throttle cable from the throttle lever. If the idle returns to normal immediately, it may be the throttle cable that's hanging up.