PDA

View Full Version : Hard Steering 85 Prostar 190

SJ760
06-22-2005, 10:06 PM
I'm also having a hard steering problem and took my steering system apart tonight on my 85 19' MC. I could not find a grease fitting along the entire steering cable. I did however take the steering rack and pinion assembly apart and am having trouble getting it back together and I disconnected the cable at the rudder.

After all this it seems that the cable is extremely stiff. Last summer it seemed to be harder to steer to the right which is when you are pushing the cable I believe.

Anyone know if there are any grease nipples in my boat?
Also what does a cable like that cost?
Is there anything else I can try before replacing the steering cable?

Thanks,
Tyler

Cloaked
06-22-2005, 10:15 PM
I'm also having a hard steering problem and took my steering system apart tonight on my 85 19' MC. I could not find a grease fitting along the entire steering cable. I did however take the steering rack and pinion assembly apart and am having trouble getting it back together and I disconnected the cable at the rudder.

After all this it seems that the cable is extremely stiff. Last summer it seemed to be harder to steer to the right which is when you are pushing the cable I believe.

Anyone know if there are any grease nipples in my boat?
Also what does a cable like that cost?
Is there anything else I can try before replacing the steering cable?

Thanks,
TylerThere is one nipple that greases the rudder assembly, located under the tank (remove rear floor section and you will be able to reach it). That's all that I know of....

( yEr next question may be about loose screws when resecuring the rear floor section :D )

Check here for a new one ==> www.skidim.com ....Best place to shop, hands down....Done deal.

ski_king
06-22-2005, 10:19 PM
As Sporty said, the only grease fitting you will find is the rudder assembly.
Before you replace the cable, grease the rudder, you may be suprised how much it will help.

Tom Wortham
06-23-2005, 11:50 AM
As Sporty said, the only grease fitting you will find is the rudder assembly.
Before you replace the cable, grease the rudder, you may be suprised how much it will help.

How often do you grease this? Once a season? :confused: I have an 86, I am sure it is not different from an 85 or earlier. Boat style changed in 87.

ski_king
06-23-2005, 12:00 PM
How often do you grease this? Once a season? :confused: I have an 86, I am sure it is not different from an 85 or earlier. Boat style changed in 87.
Good question,
I forgot about mine for a few years. I greased it this year and noticed the steering was much easier.

Tom Wortham
06-23-2005, 12:10 PM
Good question,
I forgot about mine for a few years. I greased it this year and noticed the steering was much easier.

I have forgot about mine as well.... :uglyhamme I'll take care of that prior to my next launch. I bet it will make a difference as well. :steering:

Betula7
06-24-2005, 12:26 AM
Tyler
I replaced the cable on my 86 in 03 the cost was $260 cdn back then.
There's no MC dealer here but Mercury has the same style cables.
Mine is a rotary style steering not rack and pinion but samething, took it apart and couldn't get it back together.