PDA

View Full Version : Question about lake cops in Texas...

trapjaw
05-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Hey guys. I haven't had a chance to take a day off to get my new (used) boat title transferred to my name. Everything is still in the previous owners name. I have taken the boat out a couple times at the lake (lake Georgetown) near my house, but it's a smaller, less frequented lake and we never see any lake patrol so i wasn't worried.
My question is, if you don't have the little TX Parks and Wildlife card with your name and registration numbers on it, while you're on the water, will the lake patrol ticket you? Is that little boat card that important? I'm asking cause i wanna take my boat to lake Austin this weekend but i'm afraid there's alot of lake cops there and i don't wanna get popped for not having that card.
I'm getting the title transferred this 17th, that's the earliest i could get a day off to get down there and do it.
So should i not go out without that card or what? Anyone know how bad the cops are on lake Austin?
Thanks.

BTW, i don't ever have alcohol on my boat and i've got all the safety devices required.

medicmoose
05-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Throw a little booze on the boat to distract them from the fact that you don't have the proper paperwork! 8p

ttu
05-06-2010, 01:50 PM
i don't know about texas law, but i would think if you took a copy of your bill of sale should be fine. state of oklahoma you have 30 days to register the boat.

east tx skier
05-06-2010, 02:38 PM
They can ticket you if you don't have your certificate of number card. I have been let off with a warning for not having one, but had to leave the lake earlier than I would have liked as a result.

trapjaw
05-06-2010, 02:57 PM
They can ticket you if you don't have your certificate of number card. I have been let off with a warning for not having one, but had to leave the lake earlier than I would have liked as a result.

Alright then, that explains it...thanks.

broncotw
05-06-2010, 03:36 PM
YES! Lake Austin has a police presence and at times it can be substantial (weekends and holidays).... I am pretty much in the same boat as you and I was told by TPWD to carry a copy of the "Bill of Sale" from the transaction until I obtain my little plastic card..... In Texas you have 20 (business days) to register your boat...

Yes -- you can be issued a ticket for being out of compliance both from Austin Police Department and Texas Parks and Wildlife Department in the event you don't have anything to prove the boat belongs to you.....

Hope this helps....

Ted

trapjaw
05-06-2010, 03:48 PM
YES! Lake Austin has a police presence and at times it can be substantial (weekends and holidays).... I am pretty much in the same boat as you and I was told by TPWD to carry a copy of the "Bill of Sale" from the transaction until I obtain my little plastic card..... In Texas you have 20 (business days) to register your boat...

Yes -- you can be issued a ticket for being out of compliance both from Austin Police Department and Texas Parks and Wildlife Department in the event you don't have anything to prove the boat belongs to you.....

Hope this helps....

Ted

Thanks Ted.
Hey, do yall know what the penalty is for going over the 20 day title transfer window is?
Cause i'm about 60 days past it!

east tx skier
05-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Not sure on the amount of the penalties, but TDP&W states anything past twenty days subject to penalties and interest.

broncotw
05-06-2010, 05:34 PM
As per the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department in San Antonio, Texas, the penalty is 1% of the sales price of the boat (minus the trailer) calculated on a daily basis....

Hope this helps....

Ted

pmkkdx
07-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Hopefully by now you have gotten the boat title / registration transferred into your name. We frequent Lake Georgetown since it's only about 7 minutes from our house but also hit a lot of the other area lakes in the Highland Lakes chain. Lake Austin is probably one of the highest traffic lakes (and loaded with nuts!) and has the highest presence of law enforcement patrols of any lake in the area. I would not recommend hitting up Lake Austin without ALL bases covered (paperwork, safety equipment, etc.).

TX.X-30 fan
07-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Keep your stereo low on lake Austin that fine is stiff.

jraben8
07-07-2010, 01:34 PM
The few times I have been stopped they haven't asked to see the card but they were just counting life vests. They never see any alcohol so they don't worry with us much. But it's nice having them nearby because they will normally hang out and watch my little ones ski and that helps immensely by keeping other boats away from us.

TayMC197
07-07-2010, 01:42 PM
I personally wouldn't worry about the card, it is needed but rarely asked for. They look at your tx numbers on the side and make sure you sticker is up todate. Then normally do a safety check. I personally haven't had anyone ask about the card but I do have mine in case. I had a ticket issued to me sunday for not enough life vests. I had 3 comp vest that weren't approved by uscg and they wouldn't count them. So I was one short in that case. I think its a $100 fine. They were cool though. Lake Travis is having the aquapalooza this weekend. I think they will do more safety/sobriety test this weekend than paper work checks.

east tx skier
07-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Just toss the card into your glove box in a ziplock when you get it and don't worry about it further. Replace every two years when they send it to you.

TX.X-30 fan
07-07-2010, 08:11 PM
They ask for the card on travis every stop.....................

I just mentioned the noise thing because the ordinance just started and I think its 250. Also make sure its not a banned wave-runner weekend if you are bringing one.

TX.X-30 fan
07-07-2010, 08:13 PM
25 cop boats surrounding aquadisaster on travis this weekend and they have better optics than well heeled deer hunters............ Jus sayin.

alletric
07-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Throw a little booze on the boat to distract them from the fact that you don't have the proper paperwork! 8p

Last time out a DA that was with me tried to put on his best sober face to the game wardon and proceeded to sit on a stirafoam cooler that broke and dropped 18 Lites on the floor of the boat. All the wardon could do was laugh.............................at first that is.