PDA

View Full Version : Which Perfect Pass

amcmac
05-06-2010, 08:58 AM
I am looking to add PP to my '05 X7. Not sure which one to get. I primarily do open water skiing with some wakeboarding. Not many courses that I know of around Wichita. I think my boat is mechanical not DBW (need to look). It has the RTP. Any suggestions would be appreciated as well as where to buy. I've seen some Stargazer 3 Events on ebay for 1k. Seems like a good price, not sure if I need that much system.

Thanks,
amcmac

bturner2
05-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Check Skier to Skier for pricing.

http://www.skiertoskier.com/

I'd go with the star gazer. Not that much more and easier to install. If you're spending $800 already another $200 isn't going to make that much difference and it's not like you're going to buy another one for the boat at a later date. I've been burned a couple times buying the lesser unit only to find out later about the advantages of having the better unit. When it comes to the boat I'll typically buy the best equipment I can afford.

mclovin
05-06-2010, 10:54 AM
deffenantly go GPS (stargazer) if possible, holds speed within 1 to 2 tenths! even againts current, rider pull, slight chop etc..

east tx skier
05-06-2010, 10:57 AM
I agree with bturner2. As long as you don't regularly ride on a river with a stiff current, not having to drill the hole for the paddle wheel and ease of use of the pure gps system is your best bet. You may not think you need the whole enchilada now, but once you have it, you'll wonder how you ever did without it.

As far as current goes, SG will not automatically adjust for it since it measures speed over ground. You can manually adjust RPM's up and down to compensate. Alternatively, you can get a special update from Perfect Pass that allows you to utilize the paddle wheel as your speed overlay when you are in a river current. I spoke to them about that recently since I am replacing my paddle wheel with a thru-hull depth transducer. They confirmed that it is only used for water temp in regular SG at this point, but told me about the special software update. They also, however, noted that unless you are dealing with serious currents, the rpm adjust is a better solution.

Be careful with those systems on ebay. The throttle cable linkage, as far as I remember, is a bit engine specific lengthwise. I could be wrong about that though.

Call Mike at MC of Charlotte. When I bought my most recent Perfect Pass and my SG upgrade, he had the best price by quite a bit.

russlars
05-06-2010, 11:45 AM
It sounds like your boat use is similar to mine. I went with the Stargazer Wake Edition and have been very pleased with how it works. It was also relatively easy to install and as mentioned Skier to Skier has the best price on it. Don't hesitate to call Perfect Pass directly if you have any questions about the install or operation either before or after you purchase. They are very informative and easy to work with.

east tx skier
05-06-2010, 12:58 PM
....as mentioned Skier to Skier has the best price on it.

Skier to skier is a very good company. I just ordered a lot of course supplies for our club from them the other day. However, at least when I ordered my system and update a year or so ago, MYMC had a much better price, even after the AWSA discount S2S offers. Worth an email to Mike to save some money IMO.

russlars
05-06-2010, 01:30 PM
Skier to skier is a very good company. I just ordered a lot of course supplies for our club from them the other day. However, at least when I ordered my system and update a year or so ago, MYMC had a much better price, even after the AWSA discount S2S offers. Worth an email to Mike to save some money IMO.
I would agree, good Idea to check around, but when I bought my system 2 years ago Skier to Skier beat everyone I checked with by about $100 (with the discount).

amcmac
05-06-2010, 02:04 PM
How do you obtain the discount?

east tx skier
05-06-2010, 03:41 PM
How do you obtain the discount?

AWSA Membership.

wjpbrand
05-06-2010, 04:43 PM
I have the stargazer on my 2000 xstar and it works perfectly. Mainly wakeboarding but handles any size of rider very well. Played around with the gain setting and that was all.

mccobmd
05-06-2010, 06:41 PM
How does stargazer do at wakesurf speed, I've had some people tell me that it's not so good at 9 to 10 mph?

Tom Jones
05-06-2010, 06:42 PM
I have a DBW PP wakeboard edition system that I will sell cheap. It has a black face guage.
The only thing it needs to make the system complete is the cable that goes to the engine which I understand is approx. $50.00. Randy at Perfect Pass told me the computer system in the boat will need to be re-flashed if the boat did not come with a PP. I believe the dealer can do that, not sure how much it cost. The system came from a 2005 X7 Wakeboard edition with an MCX engine. Let me know if you are interested.

russlars
05-06-2010, 07:51 PM
How does stargazer do at wakesurf speed, I've had some people tell me that it's not so good at 9 to 10 mph?
My PP Stargazer works fantastic at wakesurf speeds. In fact without it, it is almost impossible to keep my boat at the proper speed.

C36
05-06-2010, 08:10 PM
My PP Stargazer works fantastic at wakesurf speeds. In fact without it, it is almost impossible to keep my boat at the proper speed.

I have had similar great experience with PP Stargazer on our boat in 9-10 mph range as well. I have been VERY pleased with ours for all applications: low speed (kneeboarding for my kids), wakeboarding, slalom skiing (open water and recreational course skiing), and barefooting too. Great product and great customer support from PP.

Boater_C
05-07-2010, 01:05 AM
I love my StarGazer Wake Edition! I bought it from PP, and received a custom face color to match my gauges. The GPS is very accurate, and it holds speeds very well.

amcmac
05-07-2010, 07:31 AM
I have a DBW PP wakeboard edition system that I will sell cheap. It has a black face guage.
The only thing it needs to make the system complete is the cable that goes to the engine which I understand is approx. $50.00. Randy at Perfect Pass told me the computer system in the boat will need to be re-flashed if the boat did not come with a PP. I believe the dealer can do that, not sure how much it cost. The system came from a 2005 X7 Wakeboard edition with an MCX engine. Let me know if you are interested.

I would be interested, but I don't think it will work with my boat. While I do have a 2005 X7, I also have the RTP-1 which I think is mechanical.

russlars
05-07-2010, 02:00 PM
I would be interested, but I don't think it will work with my boat. While I do have a 2005 X7, I also have the RTP-1 which I think is mechanical.
No problem. Mine is mechanical also and you purchase the system specifically designed for your application. The mechanical systems have a servo motor.

bturner2
05-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Anyone know the best going price for an upgrede?

ttu
05-07-2010, 05:52 PM
what upgrade are you referring to?

for my 07 it was $450.00 to go to plug and play stargazer. worth every penny!

works great at wakesurf speeds also.

east tx skier
05-07-2010, 06:33 PM
When I got it, I didn't need a new gauge and the upgrade was $215 IIRC.

bturner2
05-07-2010, 10:52 PM
I'd do $215 tomorrow. I have a 07 X2, drive by wire PP. Where would I find the upgrade for $215? That would be a great spring upgrade.

east tx skier
05-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Skier to skier is a very good company. I just ordered a lot of course supplies for our club from them the other day. However, at least when I ordered my system and update a year or so ago, MYMC (Mike at MC of Charlotte) had a much better price, even after the AWSA discount S2S offers. Worth an email to Mike to save some money IMO.

Looking at current prices, my memory must be failing me. Maybe it was $400 for all I can remember. This was early 2008 (I preordered it a few weeks before SG was released). So I am probably off on what I paid. Just goes to show that you should do it because you won't remember spending the money two years later. Regardless, his was a better deal than anywhere else, including skier to skier. He's always been extremely competitive in his pricing for TMC Forum members. Call him or PM him through the forum.

Boater_C
05-08-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm pretty sure, unfortunately, Charlotte MC closed. I tried to call them a couple weeks ago, and was referred to a different number/business, who said they closed. :( They did have excellent prices, as well as customer service.

east tx skier
05-08-2010, 06:57 PM
If that is, in fact, true, it's very unfortunate to see MC lose such an exceptional dealer.

Age Fighter
05-08-2010, 07:12 PM
I'm pretty sure, unfortunately, Charlotte MC closed. I tried to call them a couple weeks ago, and was referred to a different number/business, who said they closed. :( They did have excellent prices, as well as customer service.

The boat I just bought from an individual in SC was purchased two years ago at MC of Charlotte, and that guy was extremely impressed with them.

wjpbrand
05-09-2010, 11:20 AM

Mine does very well at slow speeds fully loaded for surfing.

defender1009
05-10-2010, 09:48 AM

Funny how experiences differ......Never, ever could get them to call me back and a number of local acquaintances had the same experience. They lost a lot of business as a result.

JohnE
05-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Funny how experiences differ......Never, ever could get them to call me back and a number of local acquaintances had the same experience. They lost a lot of business as a result.

I've heard stories like that as well, but I'll echo that everyone there gave me first class treatment. Brian, Joe (when he was there), Carly, Lee, Maeghan, and of course Mike. It was pointed out in a recent thread that Lee has opened up his own dealership.