PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Gulf Coast and oil spill?

1redTA
05-05-2010, 08:12 PM
My wife and I have a bunch of family in Mobile, Al and have planned a vacation on the coast. We plan to stay at gulf state park for some camping and boating at lake Shelby, then stay on Fowl River about a week for some more boating visiting family.

I am hoping the oil spill, thanks BP :-( , did not ruin my vacation plans. Would any of you kind people from the area give me the beech and water conditions as the slick gets closer especially towards June thanks Art

psychobilly
05-06-2010, 05:39 AM
I'm sorry to hear your vacation may be ruined. I grew up in that area on the foul river. One thing we must remember in this tragedy is that 11 lives were lost and there may be more before the well is killed. If it wasn't for companies like "BP" then I couldn't take my boat to the water and if I could get it to the water I couldn't start it. Oil & Gas makes our world go round and there are risk when handling it, no matter if we are getting it out of the ground or putting it in our toys. (A solar powered MC, YUCK!)

Please remember our fallen brothers and be thankful WE have our family to go home to and an option to even vacation.

psychobilly

1redTA
05-06-2010, 07:13 AM
Billy, I sympothize with the people who died as well as there families. But I do not appreciate your political statements in my thread. I simply asked about the water and beech for my trip in Fowl River

CantRepeat
05-06-2010, 07:42 AM
There's talk that it may not reach to AL for FL, but that's just speculation at this this point.

On a non political point, if it gets in the oyster beds they say it could take two decades before we could get an eatable crop of Appalachian oysters so yeah BP :( for sure.

TX.X-30 fan
05-06-2010, 08:13 AM
I'm sorry to hear your vacation may be ruined. I grew up in that area on the foul river. One thing we must remember in this tragedy is that 11 lives were lost and there may be more before the well is killed. If it wasn't for companies like "BP" then I couldn't take my boat to the water and if I could get it to the water I couldn't start it. Oil & Gas makes our world go round and there are risk when handling it, no matter if we are getting it out of the ground or putting it in our toys. (A solar powered MC, YUCK!)

Please remember our fallen brothers and be thankful WE have our family to go home to and an option to even vacation.

psychobilly

Best first post I ever read, prayers to the families of those brave men lost.

TX.X-30 fan
05-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Billy, I sympothize with the people who died as well as there families. But I do not appreciate your political statements in my thread. I simply asked about the water and beech for my trip in Fowl River

I saw no political statement just a statement of fact which most I assumed knew how our boats were powered, our houses heated, our children driven to school, ect......................

1redTA
05-06-2010, 09:54 AM
Holy crap, my father worked for Fluor drilling when I lived in New Orleans, I know why we need domestic oil.
I went in the Army in 96, as a firefighter, I don't like sending our money overseas to nations that actively plan to terrorize and kill us. I do not like, for the last 6 years watching units from Fort Campbell load onto airplanes going to the middle east AGAIN and AGAIN. As a person who as served in the Army and who is a firefighter still losing people is a constant thing.

shepherd
05-06-2010, 10:14 AM
There's talk that it may not reach to AL for FL, but that's just speculation at this this point.

On a non political point, if it gets in the oyster beds they say it could take two decades before we could get an eatable crop of Appalachian oysters so yeah BP :( for sure.

I'm being optimistic that it won't reach this far (Florida) and, if it does, the damage will be minimal. But people around here are already gearing up to clean up the beach if it does get here. Appalachicola is even further east and should be safe. I suspect that any report about danger to the Appalchicola oysters is just more media-generated hysteria.

maxpower220
05-15-2010, 09:05 AM
If it wasn't for companies like "BP" then I couldn't take my boat to the water and if I could get it to the water I couldn't start it. Oil & Gas makes our world go round and there are risk when handling it, no matter if we are getting it out of the ground or putting it in our toys. (A solar powered MC, YUCK!)
psychobilly

This is very shortsighted! If oil wasn't so cheap, we (world scientists) would find many more energy sources. No vehicle (I don't really count the U-2 or SR-71) that has left earth and gone into space has used oil. It's all about profit and greed.
Let's don't confuse bravery with greed. Doing a dangerous job that pays very well doesn't make you brave. Doing a dangerous job as a selfless act is bravery. The loss of life is usually tragic, as in this case.

I live in Pensacola and so far, so good. Hopefully, the impact will be very low.Many of the local residents/businesses in Mobile are buying barriers to protect the river waterways.

TayMC197
05-15-2010, 12:13 PM
My grandmother has a place on the fish river, right were it opens up in to the bay. Bay on one side and river on the other... From what she has said, everything at the moment appears it will be okay as far as reaching the shore.

psychobilly
05-19-2010, 07:21 PM
As a person who as served in the Army and who is a firefighter still losing people is a constant thing.

First off thank you 1redTA for protecting our great country for us, we salute you and I mean that.

I agree with you that loosing people is a constant thing in your line of work as well as mine. And I'm sure you will also agree with me, even though it's a constant thing it's hard to stomach when it's your buddy that was just fighting right next to you not long ago.

It was not my intentions or my response to be political, I apologize if it seemed that way. I knew several of those men and had worked with them. On these installations it's kinda like what you do. We spend over half the year away from our families and these men and women become real close to you, kinda like family as your on a floating raft and you can't go anywhere.

I have been so pissed at our countries reactions as these men are already all but forgotten under our selfishness. I again apologize, as it wasn't directed at you as a person bud. I too grew up down on the Foul River. Born in Mobile and lived in Coden, my daddy put his shrimp boat he built in the water at Winston Williams house years ago before he was a big boat builder so I too don't want to see any of our shores destroyed.

I too like you want our brothers remembered. Yours for dieing trying to fight for our country and our brothers that died on the DWH trying to control that well. They were all outdoors men and I assure you they died trying to do everything they could to save there brothers and the last thing they would want to see is what is unfolding.

Please accept my apologies 1redTA and anyone else who may have been offended.

psychobilly

1redTA
07-03-2010, 04:13 PM
well, I have been able to get some knee boarding done in Fowl River! the water has been really smooth and 90-92 degrees, I just wish I had my boat here versus the 18' blue wave my father has.