PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Cooler Hose Leak

danall705
05-05-2010, 02:45 PM
Hi,
I have a small drip coming from one of the tranny cooler lines on my boat. I tried to tighten the fitting but it is tight as can be. I am wondering if these fittings have an o-ring that can be replaced or if the whole hose has to be replaced?

I am also wondering if the tranny needs to be drained before pulling off this hose/fitting?

Thanks for any help.

hkallestad
05-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Trying some thread sealant can't hurt. Mine was dripping at the fitting on the cooler, thread sealant fixed it, thread tape or preferably locktite thread sealant paste.

Craig
05-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Teflon tape or pipe dope. When a pipe thread leaks tightening it often doesn't do any good. Take it off and re-tape/apply dope.

JimN
05-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Hi,
I have a small drip coming from one of the tranny cooler lines on my boat. I tried to tighten the fitting but it is tight as can be. I am wondering if these fittings have an o-ring that can be replaced or if the whole hose has to be replaced?

I am also wondering if the tranny needs to be drained before pulling off this hose/fitting?

Thanks for any help.

It'll drain itself when the lone comes off- just catch it when it comes out. The fittings are usually self-sealing and of it leaks, the thread is damaged and the hose should be replaced and there's no O-ring. Any place that makes or sells hydraulic supplies and fittings should be able to get or make a new one. They're not terribly expensive.