PDA

View Full Version : Fuel spilling while trailering

Napagary
05-05-2010, 11:52 AM
My 1976 S & S clone has a conventional fuel tank at the rear with a 3/8" rubber vent hose out the top of the tank. This hose vents back to the transom face to a small chrome button with a hole(s) that vents the fuel tank. While trailering, a small amount of fuel seems to find it's way out the vent and has taken it's toll on the transom paint and trim tape.
Is there any type of valve available to stop the fuel but allow the tank to vent?

east tx skier
05-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Not sure about a valve, but maybe a longer vent hose with a loop in it would help. Is it only doing this on a full tank or does it do it no matter how full it is?

thatsmrmastercraft
05-05-2010, 12:46 PM
I suspect you are overfilling the tank. These older boats have smaller fuel tanks and the tendency is to get them really full.

Just out of curiosity, why do you refer to your boat as a clone?

Napagary
05-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Seems like anything above 1/2 full. Thought about trying to go up with a loop, there's about 3-4" space above the top surface of the tank but it's real tight in there.

east tx skier
05-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Seems like anything above 1/2 full. Thought about trying to go up with a loop, there's about 3-4" space above the top surface of the tank but it's real tight in there.

You'll end up with fuel sitting in that loop though. I'm not sure that's the best idea either.

Napagary
05-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Thanks guys
O.K., here I am coming out of the closet! My boat is a 1976 Pro-Am. When I purchased it 3yrs ago I was lead to believe it was an MC - whole 'nuther story there. Anyhows, I've learned Pro-Am built these MC copies until the mid-eighties right here in the SF Bay area. Gotta say they did a nice job on the boat - the hull, deck layout, windshield and interior are exact duplicates of the 1976 MCs I've seen here. Fortunately the 351 Windsor, tranny, stringers and other structural parts are in very good shape for a boat this old.
I'm in the middle of some mild restoration. I'll post some pics when I finish repainting the engine

thatsmrmastercraft
05-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Is there any restriction or screen in the vent to minimize overflow that could be missing? I will have to look at mine. I have never had a problem with mine. I know it works because I overfilled it one day.

Be interested to see the pics of your boat.

Napagary
05-05-2010, 01:10 PM
I trailered the boat Monday to have it measured for a new Teak Swim platform. The tank was 1/2 full. About 2 hrs round trip. Had visible fuel dripping down from this vent when I backed it in my shop. What I'm thinking is to try and put an upside down "J" riser loop in that little space above the tank.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-05-2010, 01:13 PM
I don't imagine you will want to have the vent hose significantly above the level of the vent. To do so would cause some pressure to build. I will have to look through my pictures - I'm pretty sure I took pictures of my vent line while I had the fuel tank out.

Thrall
05-05-2010, 01:31 PM
There's a check valve you can buy, got mine from Skidim a while ago for my 190, to put on the vent line that keeps the fuel from spilling out and still vents the tank.

cbryan70
05-05-2010, 01:34 PM
why dont you flip the vent to face up? This would work if the boat was in inside storage so no rainwater would get in. My boat does the same thing as I have a very steep ramp, and i have the same issue on that portion of the transom, have just learned to live with it.

Napagary
05-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks Thrall
I looked in the SkiDim catalog - looks like it might be that Racor item for 80 buxs? Yikes, gonna have trouble hiding that one from my wife.

Thrall
05-08-2010, 01:53 PM
why dont you flip the vent to face up? This would work if the boat was in inside storage so no rainwater would get in. My boat does the same thing as I have a very steep ramp, and i have the same issue on that portion of the transom, have just learned to live with it.

It'll really take on water then at the lake.

Racor air/fuel separator. $80, but no more fuel spill.

Napagary
05-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Thrall
Yep that Racor seems to be the answer. They're saying it needs to be mounted with 60 degrees of vertical - did you get yours in that small space O.K.?

Thrall
05-09-2010, 10:07 PM
I saw that 60 deg thing. I had it on a 96 Prostar and honestly I don't remember. Want to say it was laying almost flat though because there wasn't much room between the top of the tank and the underside of the deck.. Maybe someone else will chime in that is using one.
It worked great, I remember that much. Hate to see you drop 80bux if it won't work for you though.