PDA

View Full Version : first time on the slalom course

H20skeefreek
08-20-2004, 08:07 AM
well, i finally hit the course for the fist time yesterday. I officially suck. I was shooting for the womens balls, and I'd hit a set of two balls, then miss the next ball completely. i'm sure this is similar to other peoples first set?? any tips on boat speed WITHOUT perfect pass? I kept asking my driver what speed was that? oh, somewhere between 21 and 31....thanks buddy.

my request was full line @ 28 mph. somone told me i should start at 15' off, is this true? I need someone who knows what they are doing to coach me.

Brian, i have the perfect ski spot now, if you want to head up some time.

BriEOD
08-20-2004, 08:23 AM
I'd like to come tomorrow. However, that would probably be bad if Carla went into labor and I was an hour + away in the course. One of these days, soon! The stork is due to come anytime now...

Driving is definitely a challenge. My advice is have them drive the course a few times without towing anyone. The throttle is hard you just have to keep making very small adjustments with the steering and throttle, very small.

Don't feel bad about sucking in the course. It's hard, real hard your first time. Just think you can only get better. I say go with 15ft off. With 75 ft of rope you just have to much rope and to much oppurtunity for slack rope and other mistakes. Then again, what do I know...

ski_king
08-20-2004, 08:25 AM
My suggestion would be stick with 28 and have the driver set the speed before coming intro the course and then donít touch it until you are thru the course. That will be close enough for now.

From what I have seen, 15 off really doesnít help at first. Once you get a little better, if you find you are having slack, shorten it up to 60. Maybe give it a try both ways.

Donít even worry about the gates at first, just concentrate on you turns and pull. Plenty of time for the gates later.

If you can find someone to ride along and critique you style, that would be great. I am sure another skier running the course would be glad to.

John B
08-20-2004, 08:53 AM
First of all it is called a Novice course or mini course.(Women don't have balls)
Just about everyone officially sucked their first time in a course.
The driver can make or break your pass.
15 off 28 mph is a good place to start.
Use the tack. not the speedo. Get the boat speed right before the boat goes past the 55 meter balls.
If you don't have them that's 180 feet from the gate.
If the boat slow down in the course your screwed. :D

bradamerry
08-20-2004, 09:15 AM
Don't feel bad H2O freek, I suck to. I tried 15 off at 30mph., I got the gates, ball 1 and the wake going for ball 2, that is all I remember! Tim and I are going back this weekend and give it another try. Hopefully we will have a few pics, so the real skiers can help, oh and Doug too :uglyhamme :woohoo: !

rmc1
08-20-2004, 10:05 AM
When I start teaching I recomond lomg line at lomng line you will have time to work on some of the form, at 15 off(18.25) the mistakes add up and have little time to correct them. Also it might be a good idea to time your boat to fine out exactly what speed the spedos are reading. Spedo have a tendancy to not always be correct

jake
08-20-2004, 10:50 AM
I'll echo what John B said...

For novice drivers, it seems to be easier to reach and hold a specific speed when you use the tach instead of the speedo's

For novice skiers, don't try to go around balls (orange or green/novice not women's). The biggest change going from open water to course is that you need to add timing and rhythm. Big hard cuts don't mean anything unless you can get cross course. To work on your timing, just shadow the balls, work on making six good turns and getting cross course in the time it takes to get through the course. As you are getting more comfortable, start going a wider a little bit at a time until you are going around the balls.

And, oh-yeah, as others have said, forget the gates. Start out to your right, and turn as close in on one ball as you can. This way you'll start out early, rather than trying to make up for being late. Once you can get through the course, add the gates.

east tx skier
08-20-2004, 11:10 AM
Not much to add. I suck, too. Spend some time with the rope handle tied to a tree working on your position. Then, before you try to run the course again, get up on the ski and pull as far up on the boat as you can and then hold the position on which you were working on dry land. Then do it on the other side of the wake. Spraying the bouys or doing the mini-course is very good for timing. Free skiers are independent. But with the course, there is no deciding if you turn, there is only the question of when.

Knoxes
08-20-2004, 12:30 PM
Does boat speed really make much difference at the beginner level?

east tx skier
08-20-2004, 01:30 PM
Are you saying changes in speed or overall speed?

BriEOD
08-20-2004, 02:12 PM
Brad,

LMFAO!!!!!!!! :purplaugh

Easy now Doug "resembles" that remark!!

Just teasing Doug. Don't forget about ol' Doug: "he's not only the president, he's a member." :D

Knoxes
08-20-2004, 02:51 PM
Are you saying changes in speed or overall speed?

changes. I'm not great by any stretch, but even when I've gone all out, freeskiing at 36 and pulling as hard as I can, I've never noticed a change in boat speed. Now, I can feel it in the driver's seat sometimes, but only if someone is REALLY going at it.

east tx skier
08-20-2004, 03:20 PM
Getcha a perfect pass slalom switch, and leave the driving to them. :D

BriEOD
08-20-2004, 03:24 PM
Look who finally showed up to join us!

bradamerry
08-20-2004, 03:28 PM
he has alot of catching up to do.

BriEOD
08-20-2004, 03:31 PM
Yes he does.

east tx skier
08-20-2004, 03:44 PM
I'm surprised you guys could carry on without me :popcorn:

bradamerry
08-20-2004, 03:48 PM
We try, but it is hard. We were trying to run our post counts up while you were sleeping!

BriEOD
08-20-2004, 03:49 PM
Yeah, it's just so hard when you're not here Doug. :cry:

bradamerry
08-20-2004, 03:52 PM
We get off the subject when Doug leaves us, pics of half naked women start showing up! Bye Doug Bye!! ;) just kidding.

BriEOD
08-20-2004, 03:56 PM
That is true Brad...

BriEOD
08-20-2004, 03:57 PM
I was just thinking, I wonder how many lurkers or lookers we have. People that read all of these and never register or post? 4k hits on the swimsuit thread no way the 20 folks that actively use this board did all that.

bradamerry
08-20-2004, 04:03 PM
Lakes Rick may have scared a few people off and we all had a great three days on the War thread. But the board wouldn't be the same without him. I look forward to his responses, I even put him on my BUDDY LIST!!! We must keep the big talkers away. they may catch Doug.

BriEOD
08-20-2004, 04:14 PM
Doug's got a heck of head start.

MarkP
08-20-2004, 04:39 PM
Iím convinced it cant be done.

east tx skier
08-20-2004, 05:20 PM
I see you back there, Mark.

MarkP
08-20-2004, 05:42 PM
Doug, no you donít. Iíve never been on the S course. Iíd like to try though.

east tx skier
08-20-2004, 05:50 PM
Mark P ... Come ON Down!

Knoxes
08-20-2004, 05:51 PM
Getcha a perfect pass slalom switch, and leave the driving to them. :D

so it fluctuates a lot? I didn't know that. I knew there was a big emphasis at the pro level to maintain perfect speed, but I figured it was one of those things that the average skier wouldn't notice.

east tx skier
08-20-2004, 06:32 PM
I think that's an accurate statement. I don't have a switch as I'm not pulling my boat around too much. I don't think AWSA ever required the switch at the tournament level either, but I could be wrong. Still, pretty neat as gizmos go.

DanC
08-21-2004, 02:12 AM
Excellent advice on this thread and I have nothing unique to add so I will just repeat in an attempt to reinforce.

Driver
First stage, set the speed going in to the course at 1.5 mph faster than you want and then don't touch it the rest of the course.
Second stage, know what rpm matches your mph. Drive by that rpm. Danger here is that your driver may "hit" you coming out of the turn :mad:
Third stage, buy perfect pass and then you can let your driver drink beer :friday:

Skiing
Free skiing at 15 off is nice but I recommend starting at 75' on the course. Going to 15 off because it helps eliminate slack is just a crutch. 75' gives you more time to hold the correct position.
First stage, work on the mini course, spray the balls, shadow the balls whatever you want to call it. Forget the gates. The first stage is to be able to make six turns in the length of the course!
Second stage, start skiing wider and going for some balls. Do not give up when you miss a ball. A lot of people will miss a ball, say #3, kamikaze it and then waste the rest of the run. Instead, cut inside of the ball and go for the next one.

My favorite advice on this board was to turn like a station wagon and pull like a Ferrari. Think about this and what it really means. I learned this in a very subtle moment. I was skiing as a guest at a club and somebody in the boat (truly excellent old school water skiers are very subtle and positive) said to me "boy you really cut hard, you almost stop the boat". Since I was the worst skier in the boat I thought about this and realized it was advice on what I was doing wrong.

Same aspect, but I once had an epiphany about my skiing. I was really sore the day after skiing and was thinking if I just pumped up and got stronger, I could improve a couple passes. Then I thought, how does a 16 year old girl kick my butt on the slalom course?

It's all about the pull baby :dance:

Andrť
08-21-2004, 11:30 AM
After the turn ,don't look at the next bouy or you'll ski AT that bouy.Look cross course and ski wider then the ball.A quick edge change will help you skiing outward.Try not to generate speed after crossing the second wake,just maintain it and keep going cross course.As for speed,ski at the speed that you are comfortable with but not slower then 28...Skiing the course is a slow progress thing but once you're decent at it,you'll be hook!
I roughly estimate that i had about 700 passes this summer so far...but i'm stopped at 22 off at34 mph and can't see how to shorthen that rope one more time. :friday:

John B
08-21-2004, 01:22 PM
If you can not make a pass at 30 mph drop the speed to 28 mph.
If you can't make one at 28 mph drop to 26.
You have to earn the right to speed up the boat.
You should start ever set with a pass you can make.
:D

John B
08-21-2004, 03:08 PM
Andrť,
700 passes, how many sets do you do a day?
If you are asleep and dreaming they don't count. :D

H20skeefreek
08-21-2004, 06:17 PM
well, i'm certainly going to keep at it, i suck, but still love it. I"m in a bit of a pickle. I have the opportunity to purchase a rather high end slalom stick. it's a 2001 Connelly Carbon Course 66" with front and rear high wrap vizion bindings. The ski was about 700 bucks retail. My boss wants 200 bucks for it. (no, if he doesn't sell it to me, it's not for sale). It's a great ski, and a great deal, but it's really too much ski for me. It's tough to get up on, it edge hunts like mad (thats what you call it when it really doesn't want to go straight right?) But it's super fast, and I'll say it again, a steal. I was thinking of buying it for the course, then using my HO Charger '69 (wide ski with medium height adjustable front binding and RTP slower, but easier to get up and will ride straight) for free skiing and just goofin' around OR i could get some animal bindings and use them on the charger. what should i do????

MarkP
08-21-2004, 07:14 PM
H20

Get that SKI!! :headbang:

You will get used to it. I donít see anything that great about going straight anyway!!:D

H20skeefreek
08-21-2004, 08:56 PM
H20

Get that SKI!! :headbang:

You will get used to it. I donít see anything that great about going straight anyway!!:D

i'm 5'10" and weigh 190ish, is 66" to short for me?

and should i keep the HO for goofin' off and riding when i'm tired or will that mess up my form (which i currently don't have)? Or will it teach me to be a more versatile skier by skiing multiple skis?

MarkP
08-21-2004, 09:00 PM
5'10" and weigh 190ish:eek3:

Ok, That may be short:(

John B
08-21-2004, 09:03 PM
H2O,
If you get the ski, ski it and don't look back. (at the HO Charger)
From a 69 to a 66 that's a big change. :woohoo:
If you get it, stay on it till you like it.
If it is to much ski for you, you will just have to become more of a skier for it. :eek:
That might take some time.
There are allot of thing you do to change the way it will ski by adjusting the fin.
If you do any fin adjustments keep track of what you do.
IE,where the fin was before you moved it, where it is after you moved it,and how it skied.
Make small moves and one move at a time.
:D

John B
08-21-2004, 09:10 PM
Size/Weight Chart
Boat Speed
Skier's Weight 26 - 30 mph 30 - 34 mph 34 - 36 mph

Under 120 lbs 64"- 65" 64" 64"

115 - 140 lbs 65"- 66" 64"- 65" 64- 65"

135 - 165 lbs 66"- 67" 65"- 66" 64"- 66"

160 - 180 lbs 67"- 68" 66"- 67" 65"- 67"

175 - 200 lbs 68"- 70" 67"- 68" 66"- 68"

Over 190 lbs 70" 68"- 70" 68"- 70"

John B
08-21-2004, 09:13 PM
You might have to go on a diet. :D

BriEOD
08-21-2004, 09:24 PM
BriEOD 5'9"-10" 185-190, MarkP we must be twins...LOL

BTW Mark had the BIG baby shower today. Now I have even more stuff to put together.

MarkP
08-21-2004, 09:41 PM
Ouch. Did you go to the shower?

I feel your pain Brian. I have been sleeping well the past 10/12 weeks. I get tired just thinking about a new baby. Hell my dog got me up last night because of a thundershower and I may not make it to midnight tonight. Thatís ok. Gotta be up early to ski:headbang: . My Supra buddy got his boat back from the shop today:banana:

Hey my height and weight reference before was a comment about H20s H&W. Me 5í11Ē 170 ski on a 67

Andrť
08-21-2004, 09:44 PM
Mark
Was was the damages and cost repairs on the Supra?

BriEOD
08-21-2004, 10:03 PM
No, I didn't go. It was across the street so I had to bring over chairs, etc. I went to a neighbors house and shot pool on his new slate table, watched L.Skynard DVD Concert, and drank beer.

MarkP
08-21-2004, 10:26 PM
Brian you dodged that bullet:toast:

Andre, I think he was saying about 4K US, but that was right after it happened. I think that was a rough est.. I will see him tomorrow and Iíll ask.

Farmer Ted
08-22-2004, 08:44 PM
OK just back from my first time in the course, Thanks Brad!!! Lake Greeson ROCKS!!!! :banana:

Not much time to post, but here's my first impression of course skiing.

1. It's not really as hard as I make it look
- first fall felt like Jackie Chan kicked me in the ribs, I might even go to Dr tomorrow if it doesn't stop hurting when I breathe
- second fall felt like Brad biotch smacked me in the left eye
- third fall, I swear for at least half a second my right eye fell out of the socket as I couldn't see anything out of it for about 5 seconds

2. I understand using 75 feet of rope and going slower is supposed to make it easier but damn that wake is huge and it's hard to get the timing down as when to start the turn then watch the 3 ball slip by

3. The course we were using wasn't very well maintained, the bouys are 4 different colors and all faded. My man Brad would have gotten 6@75 but it's hard to see the balls and know where you're supposed to go......that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!

But seriously, it was great fun and it definately lays a foundation for improvement.

I had my best luck on the first 1/3 and the last 1/3 of the course.

so my personal best is someting like this; two on the front, no gate, two on the back with the gate zero off@28

ROCK ON!!!!

Did I mention that Lake Greeson is awesome?

bradamerry
08-22-2004, 09:11 PM
The moment I found out how good I was NOT!!!

bradamerry
08-22-2004, 09:15 PM
Tim and I had alittle trouble spotting some of the balls :confused: . That made our first time alittle harder. here is Tim.

bradamerry
08-22-2004, 09:16 PM
And me trying to get to ball 3. I made it, too!!!!! :D

bradamerry
08-22-2004, 09:21 PM
And if you guys were wondering, the dog is the coach. And by looking at the pics, we need another one. But he still gets to go and give his :twocents: worth.

MarkP
08-22-2004, 09:55 PM
It's not really as hard as I make it look :uglyhamme

MarkP
08-22-2004, 09:56 PM
Nice shots guys. Iíll let ya know if I ever go for it:worthy:

bradamerry
08-22-2004, 10:06 PM
we are working hard to get better!!!

John B
08-22-2004, 10:23 PM
Hard work, and the ability to say, I'm not as good of skier as I though I was, :( and more hard work, and you will get better. :D

bradamerry
08-22-2004, 10:45 PM
We need a course close to home, BAD!

John B
08-22-2004, 10:47 PM
That would help. :o

BriEOD
08-22-2004, 10:52 PM
Great shots guys. The important thing is did you have fun?

bradamerry
08-22-2004, 10:53 PM
Now we can see where we need to improve first.

H20skeefreek
08-22-2004, 11:25 PM
And if you guys were wondering, the dog is the coach. And by looking at the pics, we need another one. But he still gets to go and give his :twocents: worth.

I wish my lab would stay in the boat while i ski, so i could take him with us. we only take him if we won't be skiing. If i'm out back, he jumps into the water when we start, can't keep him up front.

bradamerry
08-22-2004, 11:31 PM
Two words for you man, SHOCK COLLAR!!

east tx skier
08-23-2004, 12:22 PM
Man, I need to get after it again. Once I get a few expenses out of the way, I'm going to get back on my kick of building a course near my father in law's place.

jimmer2880
08-23-2004, 02:32 PM
Driver
First stage, set the speed going in to the course at 1.5 mph faster than you want and then don't touch it the rest of the course.
Second stage, know what rpm matches your mph. Drive by that rpm. Danger here is that your driver may "hit" you coming out of the turn :mad:
Third stage, buy perfect pass and then you can let your driver drink beer :friday:

Maybe I'm not a "good" driver - but other than the PP - I have to respectfully dis-agree. The goal is to maintain a constant speed. Not maintain an average speed. It really burns me up when I ski behind someone who sets the throttle & forgets it (ie 1.5 to 2 mph faster than desired counting on the skier to slow the boat down). Talk about screw!ng up a set. I'm not a great skier (typically ski 6 balls at 22 off at 34mph), but when a driver only does that - I can tell. I have a pair (husband & wife) who drive like that. I won't ski when they drive anymore since they won't change. Maybe I'm just picky - but there is a difference. One that I don't like.

If you don't have PP - here's my .02 worth....

step 1 - set your speedo's each day (both of them).
step 2 - get to the proper speed asap & maintin that speed. When the skier croses the boat, you'll need to apply more throttle. At the turns, you'll need to let off the throttle. Remember - MAINTAIN the speed. If you're watching the speedo's bounce, that's not going to work. After a couple sets, you'll get the hang of it.

Ohh yea - I also agree with drinking beer :toast:

DanC
08-23-2004, 02:58 PM
jimmer, I agree with you.
my point was the first stage to learning how to drive the course. For novices, just keeping a straight line is a challenge. There is NOTHING worse than having a novice driver battling the throttle, overcompensating, "blocking", undercompensating.....

btw, all tourny drivers that I knew in the 80s before PP drove off the tach.

bradamerry
08-23-2004, 04:07 PM
And with Tim and I, we are both learning to drive the course and ski it. That really makes this a challenge to us.

east tx skier
08-23-2004, 08:37 PM
So, Brad, with all this course skiing you guys are doing, when is one of you going to pony up for a perfect pass?

bradamerry
08-23-2004, 08:52 PM
I will not, Tim may, but he will have to answer that.

Farmer Ted
08-23-2004, 09:45 PM
Doug,

I almost had the purchase of an insta-slalom rationalized and hemmed up as an early birthday present this year........you know the rest of the story. $500 deductible kind of put the kaibosh on that.

I'm pretty sure my debut on the Protour will only be delayed a few months without Perfect Pass, remember it's not nearly as hard as I make it look!

I don't think I'll be puttin PP on the rig unless I get a rich sugar momma to pimp it for me, know any oh them Texas hunnies looking for a pool boy or a fence painter? :banana:

Remember I'm a cunninglinguist

T

bradamerry
08-23-2004, 10:15 PM
My PP just went back to college. I'm getting closer to MarkP's job!!! :D

Farmer Ted
08-23-2004, 11:40 PM
Coming off ball one late, had a hard time timing when to start the turn
overall blast though!

BriEOD
08-24-2004, 08:17 AM
Brad I'm with you I want MarkP's job. Watch Days of our Lives, eat bon-bons, cook microwave dinners, tell the maid what to clean, etc. ;)

east tx skier
08-24-2004, 12:10 PM
Yeah, Tim, I hear ya. So many of my toys were foregone while I finish paying for the rest of the damages to the FIL's boat. I'll finally have it paid off at the beginning of next month.

There was an insta slalom on ebay in Tulsa OK that went for like $300. I couldn't get the guy to email me back, but I'd have made that drive for that price. If we have room on the cove where my FIL's house is located, I'll be doing a drop in course. My wife's cousin has an instaslalom with no bouys that we may use to measure (or we may just go the rope method). The cove is around 5 feet or less, so we'll have to drop anchor the bouys. The good part about that is that we can get all the bouys for just a little over $100. I'm convinced I can get the whole thing done for just over $200 thanks to the advice I got on the board a while back (still loving the cut up swim noodles as sub bouys). Thanks Andre.

As for Perfect Pass, I had an ebay garage sale of some things I realized I wasn't using to finance that last summer. A Color GPS, a Fender Amp, and a Nintendo 64 later, I traded up my toys.

bradamerry
08-24-2004, 12:29 PM
I still have afew things to do to the boat before I worry about a PP. I'm getting the inside completely redone this winter.

east tx skier
08-24-2004, 04:56 PM
Sounds like a heck of a project. MC skins or local shop?

bradamerry
08-24-2004, 06:54 PM
I have to check on the price difference. I was trying to think of a cool theme to do, but I have not got one, yet. I would like to use the MC stuff, but it is probably ALOT higher.

ski_king
08-24-2004, 08:32 PM
A couple of years ago I got all new upholstery, carpet and a new cover for $2000 including tax.
I tried MasterCraft first and they didnít have the patterns at that time. I shopped around for 2 until found the right place. It was a upholstery shop that specialized in doing hot rods and did about as many boats as well.
Somewhere I think I have a picture of my boat in the shop sitting beside a Model A Street Rod.

bradamerry
08-24-2004, 10:18 PM
I'll start shopping it around after labor day. I have a friend that does it and will give me a great price.

east tx skier
08-25-2004, 11:22 AM
If you're planning to redo the entire interior, I think you'll be as happy having a local shop do it. In my situation, I had two cushions that needed immediate attention --- the driver's seat base, and the observer's seat base. Before I knew you could get the skins from MC, I had a local shop do the driver's seat base. They used high quality marine vinyl and it looked good, but it didn't quite match the MC vinyl. I don't care though because someone is always sitting on it. Got the observer seat base from MC, and was very happy inasmuch as it was a perfect match, and easy to install using a staple gun and some patience.

ski_king
08-25-2004, 11:28 AM
Does anybody know of a supplier for stainless steel staples? I have been looking around but have struck out so far. No luck at Sears, Home Depot, Loweís and the local hardware stores.

H20skeefreek
08-25-2004, 11:47 AM
look for monel staples. you can get them at westmarine or boatus. i've never seen stainless steel, but monel is rust proof.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=31711

if you have a store near by, you can avoid shipping my going to the store to order, take the model # from that page along, and make things quicker.

Dan K
08-25-2004, 12:52 PM
Home depot carries Monel staples, just bought some for $12-13 T50's.

east tx skier
08-25-2004, 07:01 PM
I got some Arrow Stainless staples from Lowes when I redid my carpet.

jpattigr
09-05-2004, 02:52 PM
Well, I can relate to this thread as my first time ever in a course was April 2003, and I sucked.
In the fall of 2003, I built a course and used the first time in BC while houseboating. (see post called AHHH Buoys for pictures)
All of the skiers there eat a lot of Humble pie in big slices!!
Though this summer, which has been the coldest wetest summer I can remember have set a new PB of 3@22 off 30 mph. I really need to get consistent at 15 off however as it is still hit and miss.
We all started at 15 off and never tried the course at 75 off, just kept slowing the boat down till some buoys came along.
Here's a shot of my one friend who is awesome in the course and warms up at 28 off 34 mph. Sorry about the CC, it was my old boat!! Now driving a PT 197.

MarkP
09-05-2004, 09:08 PM
Nice shot JP:toast:

Andrť
09-05-2004, 09:16 PM
Nice place too!
Any pictures of that PT?

jpattigr
09-06-2004, 02:47 AM
The first shot above was on Labour Day last year, then I purchased the PT 197 and we went back to the Shuswaps Houseboating for Thanksgiving (end of Oct. in Canada). Of course we took the new boat and also the new course, the weather was not so great but got a few sets in anyway.
Here's the new boat!!

Andrť
09-06-2004, 11:14 AM
Sharp looking ski boat...and the good color too! :worthy:

east tx skier
09-07-2004, 11:26 AM
Very nice. I spent the better part of this weekend shopping for supplies and constructing my buoy anchors and subs. Also picked up 900 feet of poly rope that has been marked off appropriately. Buoys from overtons showed up on Friday. Should have this course up and running by next Saturday if all goes to plan. The anchors and subs will be in the water year round. The buoys will be attached when in use, and removed otherwise. Can't wait!

John B
09-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Doug
What everybody that I ski with would say to me when I kept saying I puting the course in next week was "Shut up and get some balls" So Doug I wont tell you to shut up just get some BALLS. :D

east tx skier
09-07-2004, 05:48 PM
Can do! Got six last week (or I should say, I purchased 6) :D

John B
09-07-2004, 05:58 PM
If you only got six you need at lest 14 more and you should have extras. ;)

east tx skier
09-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Actually, I got more, but "purchased six" sounded better. In fact, I've got 22. If I've got room, I'll be adding four more in the future for the 55s. And then, of course, there's magnets. It never ends. Skier to skier had some really inexpensive econo-magnets for $13.50.

John B
09-07-2004, 06:12 PM
I was told to watch out buying cheep magnets.
You get what you pay for a cheep magnet. :twocents:

east tx skier
09-07-2004, 06:29 PM
That's what I figured. But it's still intriguing since the same company is making the good magnets.

Do the magnets go at gates, 3 ball boat guides and gates, I can't remember.

betsy&david Harrison
09-07-2004, 06:34 PM
I think you have it right on the mag. placement. I think you forgot to mention 3rd boat guide on both sides though. John B... did you get my message about my friends that may know you? Betsy

east tx skier
09-07-2004, 06:57 PM
I figured both gates, both 3 ball boat guides, and both end gates (so you could have magnets both ways. But for some reason, I think this is wrong. For some reason, I think it's gates, 2 ball, gates. This is going to drive me nuts for a little bit.

John B
09-07-2004, 09:48 PM
Betsy,
No I did not get your message. Where did you leave it? :confused:
Doug, I just order magnets for my course. I was told you to put one for each side of the gates and on the boat guides for ball 3 and 6.
The thing that might be driveing you nuts is that 3 and 4 are the same thing.
Going one way 3 is 3 but going the other way 3 become 4. :uglyhamme

east tx skier
09-08-2004, 11:25 AM
Yup, that's it. I knew there was a reason I had to have my pickup on one side versus the other for my home course.

betsy&david Harrison
09-08-2004, 06:24 PM
John B

I'll just rewrite it here. I ski with a Dave and Mari Stewart (Surfboard family). They think they have met you at Elsinore. Do you own a rental shop in BB? They also said you put on a waterski clinic/school for the disabled. Do you know them? Betsy :cool:

Robert Averyt
09-08-2004, 06:44 PM
I bought the cheaper magnets from skier to skier ~ 7 years ago and they are working great to this day. What is standard is to put a magnet at the gates and all boat guides and have a timer on both sides of the
boat. All magnets on one side only.You get all bouy timing this way.

east tx skier
09-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Thanks, Robert. There isn't much of a price difference between the econo-mags and the slalom 1 mags come to find out. With the water depth rarely getting over 5 feet where our course will be, the economags may work. I don't think I'll need all ball timing though.

Was I right about gates, ball 3 guides (one side at least, considering which way you're going and where your timer is), and gates (both sides). In the perfect pass manual, that's where it tells you to hit the button on the hand timer.

John B
09-08-2004, 07:09 PM
John B

I'll just rewrite it here. I ski with a Dave and Mari Stewart (Surfboard family). They think they have met you at Elsinore. Do you own a rental shop in BB? They also said you put on a waterski clinic/school for the disabled. Do you know them? Betsy :cool:
Betsy,
No, I don't know them. That is not me.

jimmer2880
09-08-2004, 08:46 PM
I have a buddy who works in an auto-body shop. He has access to lots of stock speakers that get thrown out when they replace a door panel. He saves them up for us to use in the course. Price: Can't beat Free!

just an idea for some of you...

jpattigr
09-08-2004, 09:22 PM
Jimmer

Have you used the speaker magnets? How big do they need to be? Does anyone have a picture of the real magnets with the measurements to compare?
I would love to build my own magnets and this makes sense from a cost point of view. I have two timers in my boat and would like to try out the magnets.

east tx skier
09-08-2004, 11:55 PM
The ones from skier to skier come enclosed in a pvc case with spongex foam to float them. The economy magnets are only $13 with free shipping for orders over $25. There are pictures of the magnest on skiertoskier.com.

Robert Averyt
09-09-2004, 10:32 AM
Doug the way it was done several years ago was to have a magnet on each gate ball both ends. And as you mentioned one at #3 boat guide on the side that your timer pick up is on. That takes 6 magnets,
You can set up with all bouy timing with 8 magnets and one more timer pick up. Your pp module should be set up to plug in two timers.

I have found that having 1 ball times is really helpful. It lets you know how your driver is setting you up. And it also lets your driver know he or she is being monitored very closely. I know I take this stuff a little to serious. But a fast 1 ball time is not a good thing.

One tidbit of info I found helpful is. Set up your magnets with a hook on the south end and a loop on the north end. Hook your magnet into your sub bouy and then hook your surface bouy into the loop on top of the magnet. This way it is hard to get the magnets up side down.

Robert Averyt
09-09-2004, 10:43 AM
Hey Doug,

One more thing. If you are ordering bouys always order several more than you really need. I learned this the hard way. It does not matter who you buy bouys from they will come in and several out of a group of 24 will not hold air. This will break your heart when you are all set up for the first time and you know you have everything you need you have checked and rechecked and then the bouys you payed good hard earned money for will not hold air. Dude I am still sour about this and it happened to me over 10 years ago.

How many on this board get the same feeling I get when you see a perfectly set up slalom course on perfectly calm water. Wow I get excited just thinking about it.

jimmer2880
09-09-2004, 11:03 AM
Just take the speaker out of the door of your car door.... it'll work. We just hang them on. I like the idea of putting hooks & loops on though - that sounds like a good idea.

east tx skier
09-09-2004, 11:10 AM
Thanks, Robert. All buoy timing may be something for me to shoot for. As for this weekend, I'll unplug the smart timer and plug in the hand timer, just for grins. Good idea about the loops.

As for the balls, I must have gotten lucky. All 10 of the turn balls held air. The boat guides are spongex, so air isn't an issue. I'll probably get some backups soon when I order some more balls for the 55m gates. But for now, I'm giving my wallet a rest. Just ordered more supplies yesterday, including a new CIPA comp mirror. Hopefully it will stay put than the mirror that came with my boat. Was MC using gladiator for mirrors back in 93?