PDA

View Full Version : Intermediate Wakesurf boards

madmuffin
05-05-2010, 12:15 AM
Started wakesurfing last season on a Hyperlite Broadcast 5'6". I'm 6'1" 185#. Have Hyperlite Swell also for my 10 year-old son but it may be a little loose for him and it's hard for me to stay in the sweet spot. My wife finds the Broadcast a little big to sink when getting up but again the Swell may be a little loose. I outgrew the Broadcast last season and have to move up to a more intermediate board.

In the market for at least one board. I would like an all-around board definitely for son (80#)and wife (125#). Looking at an Inland Surfer 4-Skim Black Pearl Yellow 4'8". Anyone comment on this board or other? Will it handle my size also?

Also, have been looking at an Inland Surfer Swallow. Again, any comments on this board or other?

Have a 2007 X-30 and a couple of 750 FlyHighs.

Appreciate it everyone!

sand2snow22
05-05-2010, 01:18 AM
How tall are you and how much do you weigh? Sorry, don't have experience with the swallow, but Inland Surfer makes pretty good stuff. Inland NW, where? Just curious.

madmuffin
05-05-2010, 01:24 AM
I'm 6-foot-one and 185 lbs. We boat mainly on Lake Coeur d'alene, Idaho. Thanks -

rgardjr1
05-05-2010, 03:50 AM
I'm 6-foot-one and 185 lbs. We boat mainly on Lake Coeur d'alene, Idaho. Thanks -

If you ever make it up to Priest you can try out my Inland Surfer Blue Lake and Yellow Loogie.

Cary K.
05-05-2010, 08:29 AM
I am larger than you and ride a BP Yellow and love it. For good waves/wakes I run very small fins, but can easily up to a larger version and still ride very small waves with no problem. Over the last few weeks, I have even been riding behind a direct drive TriStar and still able to do everything with a little larger fin setup.

I have also ridden the Swallow, and find it a bit "precise". Every tiny movement I make feels like it is multiplied. This is partly due to the huge fins that we were running on it, and the fact that I'm not used to riding surf style boards, but I was still able to pull some 360's even with 4 pretty big fins on it.

Either of these boards will definitely work for you, but here is my opinion: The BP Yellow is more versatile. It is a skim that can almost be run as surf style if you increase the fin size, and while you can decrease the fins on the Swallow, I think it will always be a precision surf style board.

Let me know if you have any more questions. And maybe we'll get some more thoughts on the matter from others who have ridden these boards.

coz
05-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Started wakesurfing last season on a Hyperlite Broadcast 5'6". I'm 6'1" 185#. Have Hyperlite Swell also for my 10 year-old son but it may be a little loose for him and it's hard for me to stay in the sweet spot. My wife finds the Broadcast a little big to sink when getting up but again the Swell may be a little loose. I outgrew the Broadcast last season and have to move up to a more intermediate board.

In the market for at least one board. I would like an all-around board definitely for son (80#)and wife (125#). Looking at an Inland Surfer 4-Skim Black Pearl Yellow 4'8". Anyone comment on this board or other? Will it handle my size also?

Also, have been looking at an Inland Surfer Swallow. Again, any comments on this board or other?

Appreciate it everyone!

How tall are you and how much do you weigh? Sorry, don't have experience with the swallow, but Inland Surfer makes pretty good stuff. Inland NW, where? Just curious.

S2S.....did you not read the first sentence?

mccobmd
05-05-2010, 03:09 PM

Coz, you read my mind.

sand2snow22
05-05-2010, 05:01 PM

Must have missed it. I swear it wasn't there when I posted, but it could have been. I remember the specs for the wife and kids.

Why don't you worry about resizing pictures ;)

sand2snow22
05-05-2010, 05:02 PM
If you ever make it up to Priest you can try out my Inland Surfer Blue Lake and Yellow Loogie.

Where is you place on Priest?

sand2snow22
05-05-2010, 05:07 PM

Appreciate it everyone!

I have two boards left, a The Walker Project Composite X 4.6 that will work for your wife and kid. I have a TWP F-18 4.6 that will work for you. Honestly you might be a little to heavy for it, but a big wave can compensate. If you are interested, PM me for price. More info here:

www.thewalkerproject.com

madmuffin
05-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Hey, appreciate all the feedback on this and always good to hear from someone local rgardjr1. I do have to get up to Priest Lake one of these days as I hear it is gorgeous. Plan on doing some boating on Lake Pend 'oreille also. May have to take you up on that -

Cary K, great comments. The BP Yellow sounds like what I'm looking for. The Swallow (nice looking board) may be a bit above intermediate yet and last year was my first season surfing. Maybe get some 2-inch fins for it to make it more versatile for surfing? Sounds like the standard fins are good for skim.

S2S, thank you also. I will take a look at the link but am leaning towards the IS's right now. Appreciate it though -

Cary K.
05-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Maybe get some 2-inch fins for it to make it more versatile for surfing? Sounds like the standard fins are good for skim.

This sounds about right. One thing to keep in mind, the Yellow only comes with 1 fin, so you need to order a pair of outside fins. I ordered a pair the same as the stock one that it comes with, and they work great on good waves.

The fin setup on the IS skim's are the same hole pattern as wakeboard fins. I had a pair of 1.6" and a pair of 2" that I use depending how much more drive I need. If you don't have any extra fins laying around, IS has many options.

madmuffin
05-07-2010, 12:01 AM
Cary, thank you again. This is good to know. I didn't know it came with just one and will need to purchase others -

Kell
05-07-2010, 01:52 AM
I have two boards left, a The Walker Project Composite X 4.6 that will work for your wife and kid. I have a TWP F-18 4.6 that will work for you. Honestly you might be a little to heavy for it, but a big wave can compensate. If you are interested, PM me for price. More info here:

www.thewalkerproject.com (http://www.thewalkerproject.com)
Sand2snow, do you know anything about the TWP Bazooka? I have been researching boards and this Bazooka seems to be a favorite for larger surfers. I'm 6'4" at 250lbs and I would likely be intermediate skill level. Thoughts?

sand2snow22
05-07-2010, 02:26 AM
Sand2snow, do you know anything about the TWP Bazooka? I have been researching boards and this Bazooka seems to be a favorite for larger surfers. I'm 6'4" at 250lbs and I would likely be intermediate skill level. Thoughts?

I know it's new for 2010, epoxy construction (strong). Without seeing you ride it's probably the perfect board for you! In the thread below, Dennis is the sales manager for TWP and he just got one (see pics 5/2/10). Let me know if you want to order one, I will see how long it will take and get you a discount:

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=779092

Kell
05-08-2010, 02:55 PM
I know it's new for 2010, epoxy construction (strong). Without seeing you ride it's probably the perfect board for you! In the thread below, Dennis is the sales manager for TWP and he just got one (see pics 5/2/10). Let me know if you want to order one, I will see how long it will take and get you a discount:

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=779092

Very interested in the Bazooka S2S, and checked out the link you provided. I'm not to the level os spinning or similar moves, just basically riding without the rope and moving up and down the face of the wake. It seems to me that the Bazooka is quite thicker than the Broadcast which would seem to help to provide more floatation for larger guys like myself and help to stay in the pocket. I didn't realize that its a new model board for 2010. PM with pricing and how long to receive from order date if you have access to that information. I'm in no hurry and want to make sure I get the right board for me. Most of the guys I ride with are 200-250 lbs, so this seems like a good choice to me.

sand2snow22
05-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Bazooka is thicker and it is going to make riding WAY easier. This will help you progress faster. Once I hear back from the owner I will PM you a price and turn time. Last I checked he was running 4-5 weeks.

madmuffin
05-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Hey Cary, just wanted to let you know that the Black Pearl Yellow should arrive next week. I ordered a pair of 3.5cm fins for it also. Wanted some that were larger but none in stock but will keep looking. Thanks -

Cary K.
05-17-2010, 09:11 AM
That is awesome, you will love it!

madmuffin
05-26-2010, 11:32 PM
Well, have the BP Yellow next to my bed safe from the kids. Hoping to get out on it soon. Heading out to the lake this wekeend but the weather will be iffy. Likely going to order a Phase 5 Scamp for the kids. Maybe I can get my 8 year old daughter up on this board. Was looking at a TWP Grom from Wake9 but doesn't sound like they are producing these now and perhaps not for the forseeable future. My 10 y.o. son will be probably be able to ride the Scamp this season also as he is around 80 lbs. Any thoughts regarding the Scamp? Thanks!

madmuffin
06-20-2010, 01:41 AM
Just an update for surfers out there looking at boards. This is our third weekend on the Inland Surfer Black Pearl Yellow (tri-fin) and the board works great for myself (180#), my wife (125#) and my son (80#). We're all free surfing behind the boat without the rope. Great all around board and fun. I was riding a Hyperlite Broadcast 5-6 last season and it'll be only seeing "guest" time this summer.