PDA

View Full Version : Build your own slalom course...

dvdqrn
05-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Did someone ever builded his own slalom ski course ? If so...how to do it yourself....

Covi
05-04-2010, 10:19 PM
As a kid growing up we did. It sucked! It was made out of cinder blocks & ropes. 4 buoys.

east tx skier
05-04-2010, 11:08 PM
I did in 2005. I used a long piece of rope with measurements marked off with zip ties. I used cinder blocks as anchors, which worked extremely well with the muddy bottom we had (lots of suction). I used bits of garden hose to run the rope through to keep it from rubbing. Ran that line up through the sub to a looped end. A small bit of pvc pipe kept the sub from floating over the loop. My buoys had plastic hooks on the end and I used surgical latex instead of bungee. Using the rope, I measured out the various buoys. Then, we had a guy in a boat at the end sighting it out. We'd move and remeasure and he'd say which way to go. After a couple of days, we were done and it was pretty darned good. Kind of a pain to swim it out every time we wanted to use it. I eventually bought a portable course for not much more than it cost to do it with the individual anchors. Then, our club got another course, the lake waters rose again, and I have yet to have an opportunity to put out the portable.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=1454&stc=1&d=1124747516

D3skier
05-04-2010, 11:21 PM
actually building my own right now... going extremely slow since I'm loosing my job this friday. I've built mine like the Wally Course which is built in cable sections and using insta-slalom instructions to build the arms out of SR26 PVC pipe. I'm pretty much down to the PVC left to build is all I have left to finish but has been put on the back burner at this point.

Craig
05-04-2010, 11:24 PM
You can purchase a kit from Ed at EZ Slalom with full material list and directions for assembly.

Price is $35. www.ez-slalom.com

From what I understand, you end up saving a relatively small amount over purchasing a pre-built course from Ed.

shepherd
05-05-2010, 01:23 PM
From what I understand, you end up saving a relatively small amount over purchasing a pre-built course from Ed.

Agreed. I built one years ago using stainless wire and pvc arms. The cost ended up being close to what a commercial portable course would have cost.

Sodar
05-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Look for used courses.

I found a used course 500 miles away that had been used 3 times. The cost of the course was $200 with EVERYTHING and then I paid $75 on u-ship to have it sent to me.

You could not even buy anchors and buoys for that price! :D

east tx skier
05-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Look for used courses.

I found a used course 500 miles away that had been used 3 times. The cost of the course was $200 with EVERYTHING and then I paid $75 on u-ship to have it sent to me.

You could not even buy anchors and buoys for that price! :D

No kidding. I just paid $230 for 26 polyform inflatable buoys and 4 magnets.

bbeach
05-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Call Ed at EZ-Slalom... he's a huge asset to the skiing community. He'll tell you everything you want to know about building your own course or he'll set you up with one of his. His customer service is top notch!

stx22
05-05-2010, 05:26 PM
I 2nd (or 3rd) the give Ed a call sentiment. Depending on where you are in Quebec (I may not be too far from you) and willing to part with my EZ-Slalom portable course. I am "negotiating" with the State and may have to dump it. I got it new two years ago and it has only been used a couple of times.

east tx skier
05-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Ed is awesome. After building the one pictured above, I bit the bullet and bought one from Ed.

dichdoc
05-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Marked course out on the ice and cut holes to drop concrete anchors and sub bouy's down. Come spring just hook up your bouy's and ski. Just remember where the weeds grow up or you'll be skiing through knee high grass...texans will just have to walk on water...

chico
05-05-2010, 07:14 PM
We built a submersible course with a compressor on shore,a real pain in the neck because it collects all the seaweed floating by,very high maintenence.

east tx skier
05-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Marked course out on the ice and cut holes to drop concrete anchors and sub bouy's down. Come spring just hook up your bouy's and ski. Just remember where the weeds grow up or you'll be skiing through knee high grass...texans will just have to walk on water...

Hard to imagine how we manage!

JohnE
05-05-2010, 10:04 PM
I 2nd (or 3rd) the give Ed a call sentiment. Depending on where you are in Quebec (I may not be too far from you) and willing to part with my EZ-Slalom portable course. I am "negotiating" with the State and may have to dump it. I got it new two years ago and it has only been used a couple of times.

Where in NH? I'd be interested. What lake do you ski on?

Skipper
05-05-2010, 10:06 PM
I built four or five slalom courses over the last ten years. Typically, the courses I built were for private lakes or where the course would be left in for more than a few weeks at a time. I used 1-1/2" and 1-1/4" schedule40 PVC pipe in ten foot lengths because portability was not an issue. I fashioned a jig and drilled holes to connect the pipes. By using a jig, it would not matter which pipe connected to the other, they were all the same. (One of my first courses was not that way, each set of holes was unique and it was a mess.) I have used braided, yellow plastic rope and cable for the main line. Again, I fashioned a jig to set the arms into and then build the main line.

Last year, I bouth an EZ-slalom because I no longer had a private lake to ski. I have to haul my boat, and course, two hours to the water. I set it up, ski, and tear it down every trip. It was worth every cent to get a professionally built, portable course.

dvdqrn
05-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks everyone...there is good chance that i'll call ed....for the moment my brother and sister want to wait...we already spend good money to add heater, cleat and ballast this season so probably we'll spend next year ! but i'll missed the course this season !

André
05-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Thanks everyone...there is good chance that i'll call ed....for the moment my brother and sister want to wait...we already spend good money to add heater, cleat and ballast this season so probably we'll spend next year ! but i'll missed the course this season !

J'ai fabrique mon propre parcours pendant qques annees avant de moi aussi appelle Ed a E Z slalom.Depuis 3 ans mon parcours est dans l'eau ou au fond du lac l'hiver.Tu n,economiseras pas une cenne en essayant de le faire toi meme,crois moi!!!
In wich part of Qc are you?

dvdqrn
05-05-2010, 11:18 PM
je suis au lac st-francois ŕ lambton...on met le bateau a l'eau ce week-end ! ;) et vous?

André
05-06-2010, 08:28 AM
je suis au lac st-francois ŕ lambton...on met le bateau a l'eau ce week-end ! ;) et vous?

Not far,Windsor near Sherbrooke but my mom is from Lambton!!!We have a couples of customer there.Bernier,Portes Lambton,schools and more...Nice area!
I bought the stainless steel mainline from Ed and got pvc pipes locally.
Total was 1800$ with all the hardware plus bouys and magnets.

stx22
05-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Where in NH? I'd be interested. What lake do you ski on?

I'm in the forgotten part of NH, right on the VT border about 1/2 way between the MA border and the Canadian border.

dvdqrn
05-07-2010, 09:47 PM
stx22: i just sent you a private message...