PDA

View Full Version : Stereo, Amps questions

tnd90
05-04-2010, 02:55 PM
I have a few questions and would like some opinions please. I am trying to put all the correct components together for the system in my 05 X2 Mastercraft. This is what I have so far:

1) Clarion CMD6 Source
2) 4 factory Clarion marine speakers ( 2 in the bow, 2 in the rear)
3) 4 Polk tower speakers MM651um 6.5" Speakers.

So my questions are:

1) I would like to add a 10" Sub, looking at JL Audio and Clarion, but open to your thoughts
2) Once I add the Sub, how would you power the system? Amp set up? Would you use the Source output at all?

I am pretty ignorant when it come to stereo terms so forgive me if I say something stupid.

I am not looking for everyone on the lake to hear my music. I will be using the boat mostly with my wife and 4 year old twins. I just want to maximize the speakers potential.

Thanks for your time and thoughts
Keith

TallRedRider
05-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Do you have a budget in mind for amps?

I would consider Kicker amps if on a budget, and go no cheaper than that.

Then I like Arc audio a lot.

If you really want to go for top of the line, then Wetsounds makes great amps and JL audio are very clean, but are generally underpowered.

Are the Clarion speakers 5.25 or 6.5 inch?

medicmoose
05-04-2010, 04:14 PM
I too did some upgrades to my system (similar to what you are looking at doing) and here is what I've got:

4 Wetsounds (2 Pro 80's and 2 MB8's) on the tower being driven by a Hertz EP4X
Factory in-boat JL speakers and sub driven by the factory JL amp
Wetsounds xs10-FA sub (mounted under passenger seat facing rear of boat) driven by a Alpine mono block amp

I really like the Wetsounds line-up but there are many comparable manufacturers out there. One suggestion I would have is to either get a matching JL sub to your factory one or to replace the one JL with 2 same brand subs. Then give them a dedicated amp with lots of power....remember, even though you don't want to be the lake DJ, you need to run sufficient power to all of your speakers to make them perform well.

Overall a bit of an investment but it sounds fantastic all around! My next project will be to install Wetsounds interior speakers and replace the factory sub with a second Wetsounds sub.

tnd90
05-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Actually, the boat did not come with a Sub or any Amps, I quess it was the very basic system.

So I will have a total of (4) 6.5 speakers on the tower, (4) 6.5 speakers in the boat and (1) 10" sub.

At the risk of sounding stupid, how big of an amp/amps do I need. How many channels does it need?

Thanks

xstarplease
05-04-2010, 04:39 PM
I would recommend JL on the sub. Their marine 10" sub doesn't require much power at all (~250 watts rms), and it sounds great. You can probably google your specific Clarion speakers and find their specs. I'm guessing they can handle ~75-100 watts rms each. The Polks may handle a bit more. Again, a google search could tell you for sure. I'm relatively new to the stereo stuff too, so I'm still learning. There is a lot of info out there for the taking.

I have a Clarion APX 480M that is nearly new if you are interested. It could power your tower speakers or your in boat speakers. You could then get another amp to run the sub/the other 4 speakers.

Eagle Lake Rebel
05-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Depending on how "basic" you want to stay, get the JL 6 ch amp for the cabin (bridge ch 5&6 mono for your sub) and get a good 4 ch amp (100 watt/ch) for the tower and you will have a decent system for your boat. If $$ is tight buy a larger 2 ch amp (150-200 watt) for the tower and run your speakers in parallel (2 ohm load) for both the left and right tower speakers. The combos of amps and configurations are just about endless.

Thrall
05-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Depending on how "basic" you want to stay, get the JL 6 ch amp for the cabin (bridge ch 5&6 mono for your sub) and get a good 4 ch amp (100 watt/ch) for the tower and you will have a decent system for your boat. If $$ is tight buy a larger 2 ch amp (150-200 watt) for the tower and run your speakers in parallel (2 ohm load) for both the left and right tower speakers. The combos of amps and configurations are just about endless.

This is what I'd do.
JL M6600 amp can be had for a little over $300 and that will work great in the boat. JL M6450 amp will work too for 4 spkrs and a sub.
Then get another 2 or 4 ch for the tower.
Too get the most out of your speakers, get amps that are rated for as many W per ch as your spkrs, 2x the power if you're going to run 2 spkrs in parallel per channel.
If you search, you could find 2 decent amps to power your system (not necessarily JL) for about $200 a piece.

TallRedRider
05-05-2010, 03:46 PM
I too did some upgrades to my system (similar to what you are looking at doing) and here is what I've got:

4 Wetsounds (2 Pro 80's and 2 MB8's) on the tower being driven by a Hertz EP4X
Factory in-boat JL speakers and sub driven by the factory JL amp
Wetsounds xs10-FA sub (mounted under passenger seat facing rear of boat) driven by a Alpine mono block amp

I really like the Wetsounds line-up but there are many comparable manufacturers out there. One suggestion I would have is to either get a matching JL sub to your factory one or to replace the one JL with 2 same brand subs. Then give them a dedicated amp with lots of power....remember, even though you don't want to be the lake DJ, you need to run sufficient power to all of your speakers to make them perform well.

Overall a bit of an investment but it sounds fantastic all around! My next project will be to install Wetsounds interior speakers and replace the factory sub with a second Wetsounds sub.

Moose,

I have been contemplating the same thing with subs. My 10 inch JL does pretty well when you put more power than you are supposed to use. 500 watts and it pounds pretty well...but I was wondering if the wetsounds might be just a little better.

How much power do you have to your JL? Just the stock channels bridged? It definitely was inadequate with that setup, IMO. You might do just as well to get more power to the JL and keep it. How many watts to your Wetsounds?

Smoothie
05-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Exile!!!! I have been dealing with Brian and Exile and love their products. Just had a 12in sub put in as well as exile inboat speakers and their XM7 tower speakers. Great guy to deal with and in the JL price range for superior product. Give Brian a call it can't hurt.