PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak

Brian Robinson
05-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Hi
I have a 2000 MariStar and have a small oil leak under pressure when motor running. The hardest part to trouble shoot I have checked all obvious spots oil filter, plug, oil pan, valve covers just can't find it. Does anyone have an idea like possible oil sending unit?

thanks Brian

Matt L.
05-04-2010, 01:10 AM
rear main seal?

Thrall
05-05-2010, 12:41 AM
If it's coming from underneath and only lekas when the boat is runnning, it's likely the front or rear main seal.

Kyle
05-05-2010, 02:30 AM
If you are in need of an oil change put some dye in with the oil. Run the boat for for about 20 minutes and get a black light and look for the dye to show up. It will stick out like a black shirt with white lent fuzzies under a black light. The dye will make it glow neon yellow under the light. The dye will not hurt the engine. It is what we used at the dealership when we could not find a pesky leak or multiple leaks. You may be able to find the dye at the local parts store.

Brian Robinson
05-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Thanks for tips guys I just the main seals but it seams to spray at the front left side of the moter or in the V drive case starboard stern. I will be picking it up out of storage shortly it will get dewinterized and will need an oil change so the dye trick will help if I can't find it.
thanks again Brian