PDA

View Full Version : Installing Exhaust Hose MC Skier / S&S

Sidewinder
05-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Hello,

I'm trying to install new exhaust hose in my '79 Skier and bought hose similar to this...

http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MPI200-3120
(aka 3" smooth wet marine exhaust hose with an internal wire) from a local hose company as they didn't have any hose like this

http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MPI252-3000
(aka 3" corrugated wet marine exhaust hose).

Long story short, there isn't enough bend / give to the new hose, although it appears similar to the factory installed hose.

I'm going to attempt to pre-bend it using a large vice, but I'm not sure if it will crush it. Have also been told to put it in boiling water for 1/2 hr prior to installing it. Not sure if this will work or not as the interal wire is quite strong. Have also debated installing access ports in te floor and connecting the muffler to the hose after the hose is connected to the exhaust elbow. Really would like to avoid this though.

-> Any tips / suggestions for installing the new hose or am I going to have to bite the bullet and have some corrugated hose shipped? I'm really trying to avoid shipping from the US to Canada as one-third of the things my wife and I have purchased from the US in the last year have failed to arrive.

TMCNo1
05-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Hello,

I'm trying to install new exhaust hose in my '79 Skier and bought hose similar to this...

http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MPI200-3120
(aka 3" smooth wet marine exhaust hose with an internal wire) from a local hose company as they didn't have any hose like this

http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MPI252-3000
(aka 3" corrugated wet marine exhaust hose).

Long story short, there isn't enough bend / give to the new hose, although it appears similar to the factory installed hose.

I'm going to attempt to pre-bend it using a large vice, but I'm not sure if it will crush it. Have also been told to put it in boiling water for 1/2 hr prior to installing it. Not sure if this will work or not as the interal wire is quite strong. Have also debated installing access ports in te floor and connecting the muffler to the hose after the hose is connected to the exhaust elbow. Really would like to avoid this though.

-> Any tips / suggestions for installing the new hose or am I going to have to bite the bullet and have some corrugated hose shipped? I'm really trying to avoid shipping from the US to Canada as one-third of the things my wife and I have purchased from the US in the last year have failed to arrive.

The smooth says "no wire", is more for straight runs with little or no bends and the corrugated "with wire", is for use where there are some bends required as shown in Skidim's description of the items from what they explained to me.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-03-2010, 11:26 PM
Had the same problem with my '77. I ended up removing the exhaust manifolds (was replacing gaskets) and connected the exhaust hose to the manifold first, then used the leverage from the manifold to make the bend. I used long phillips head screwdrivers to guide in the alignment and installed the head bolts carefully by hand so as to not cross-thread the bolts. Nothing tighter than a good cross-thread, but I thought I might need to remove the exhaust manifolds sometime in the future. Hope this helps. Good luck.

markismm
05-04-2010, 10:48 PM
As the Mr. Mastercraft said, remove the exhaust risers first and install them using a ton of vaseline on the interior of the hose. It is actually best to use the corrugated hose for this particular application though. Teh factory hose was not corrugated, I think, as the bend was not very tight, but after a few years the inner portion of the smooth (non-corrugated) hose will start to separate from the outter hose. This happened to mine. Th corrugated will not have this happen. Since youy have already purchased the non-corrogated go ahead and use it. You will need new riser gaskets if you use the method I have suggested. Get them from skidim.com.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-04-2010, 10:57 PM
For what its worth, I used soapy water. I would be concerned about the Vaseline causing the hose to not clamp down well. Maybe KY since it is water soluble. :D

79_SnS_atl
05-07-2010, 09:49 AM
If the hose that you have does not work for you I was able to find the exact replacement hose from Goodyear Rubber for about 1/3 the price as skiDIM... My cost per foot was $6.65 for 3" softwall marine exhaust hose. Item number SS269. Part Number 200-3004 from their website. They sell direct to us (the consumer). It flexes nicely without removing the manifolds, the trick is putting the hose on your roof on a hot sunny day. It gets real soft and gives you about 20 minutes working time to get them on.

www.goodyearrubberproducts.com
email: David Cooper to order. davidc@goodyearrubberproducts.com

They have all the marine hoses you need for restoration. Fuel, raw water, circulating and exhaust.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Great source 79. I plan to renew all hoses this year.

americanskierJim
05-07-2010, 10:13 AM
What I did was cut it to size and put it on the muffler and on the riser and clamped it. Then that would make the tube stay in the air off the floor. Now the hard part getting so it would go down to the floor. It took a friend of mine and my self to push on the tube and it got half way down it popped right in to place and it looks great and there not going to move around and be loose. Hope that helps.

Sidewinder
05-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Looks of good info here. Thanks! I'm going to try and heat the existing hose up and see what I can do, but I suspect I'll likely have to order new hose from Goodyear as the inner wire is quite thick. Great source 79, the only other solutions I've found are skimdim or a local supplier who has silicon hose for $50/ft - needless to say, I'm not going that route. I'll keep you posted.