PDA

View Full Version : Engine RPM for using ballast pump

amcmac
05-03-2010, 03:28 PM
The manual on my '05 X7 says to run the engine at or above 1500rpm while filling the ballast tank. I am trying to figure out why. Is it so the ballast pump doesn't run down the battery? I don't see what the engine has to do with the filling of the tank. Also, do you have to be moving to fill the tank or can you fill the tank while sitting dead in the water?

Thanks

Hrkdrivr
05-03-2010, 05:10 PM
I think the min RPM is to make sure the pumps get the juice they need to run effectively/quickly and not overheat.

You don't need to be moving, but I usually run them once I'm out of the no-wake area. Bump the RPM up to 1500-ish while pulling out ropes boards etc. I don't know if they'll fill well if you're running fast since the water flow by the pickups on the bottom might not lend itself to a good feed.

vision
05-03-2010, 07:27 PM
I think the min RPM is to make sure the pumps get the juice they need to run effectively/quickly and not overheat.

You don't need to be moving, but I usually run them once I'm out of the no-wake area. Bump the RPM up to 1500-ish while pulling out ropes boards etc. I don't know if they'll fill well if you're running fast since the water flow by the pickups on the bottom might not lend itself to a good fee.

Agreed.

My tanks fill better when the boat is not moving or moving slowly versus at 24 mph.

In the 08s and newer where they drain underneath the boat, having a moving boat helps empty the tanks/bags faster due to the siphon effect. But for your 05, this should not matter as they empty over the side.