PDA

View Full Version : Boat and title don't match?????

94PS190
05-03-2010, 01:47 PM
I recently sold my 94 prostar. ?Today I recieved an e-mail from the new buyer saying that the hin #'s don't match. I bought the boat in 04' and just never checked. The bill of sale I recieved from the previous owner has the hin # from the title not the boat????? Does anyone know my obligations here? What if the boat is stolen or totaled? What possible explanation could there be for this? As of right now, I am freaking out a little...

Age Fighter
05-03-2010, 02:41 PM
I recently sold my 94 prostar. ?Today I recieved an e-mail from the new buyer saying that the hin #'s don't match. I bought the boat in 04' and just never checked. The bill of sale I recieved from the previous owner has the hin # from the title not the boat????? Does anyone know my obligations here? What if the boat is stolen or totaled? What possible explanation could there be for this? As of right now, I am freaking out a little...

Hope this works out well -- here are some initial thoughts:

First, I think there is a greater chance that there is simply an admin error on the part of a dealer or a State Wildlife or DMV person than there is that the boat is stolen. I understand you want to verify that, and I don't blame you.

Second, is there a digit or two off or is it an entirely dissimilar number.

Third, there are some dealers on this forum and there advice will be more valid than mine. I hope they post some thoughts.

Archimedes
05-03-2010, 02:43 PM
I would check with the State immediately to find out the history on the hull #s on the boat. That should tell you all you need to know. Are they close, i.e., maybe a typo on the title, or are they way off? Could be the title was screwed up when they transferred it to you.

You didn't check the numbers when you bought the boat? First thing I do when I check out any vehicle I'm serious about buying is compare the serial #s on the title to the vehicle.

ahhudgins
05-03-2010, 02:51 PM
I don't know exactly what to tell you, maybe a dealer can answer that question. I purchased a MC out of state and ran into a big mess because the hull ID didn't match the title I brought home. Also, I live in Virginia and I purchased the boat in Michigan where they don't title the trailer. DMV gave me a load of crap about not having a title for the trailer, but they eventually found out that they just had to issue a new title in VA. The dealer in Michigan said that the title for the boat must have just been a typo that no one ever picked up on (one digit off) so he had to have a corrected title mailed to me in order for me get my registration numbers. The big problem (which I found out) is that the laws and regulations are different for each state. Are your numbers way off, or just a single digit off?

94PS190
05-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Not sure how far off the #'s are. I just recieved an e-mail today from the new owner. I will post all of the iformation I get . Hopefully this woill not turn into a big mess. any advice will be greatly appreciated.

davomaddo
05-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Is it possible that you bought a stolen boat without knowing it?

94PS190
05-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Possible... I think it's doubtful and the worst case. I have no idea??

jdubwall
05-04-2010, 02:07 PM
I recently bought a mastercraft last fall and i had the same situation.... The boat had decals of an 86 but there were other things like the windshield, dash, seats that weren't the same as an 86 so i looked at the Hin# and it ended in 85...... Here's wat you have to tell the buyer to do..... This was a big headache but it happens quite often from people ive talked to.... Tell the buyer to take a picture of the HIN, and also put a sheet of paper over it and pencil sketch it. Take it into there local DMV tell them the situation and they will get him a new title for the boat.. Its that easy...... DMV are stricked here in MN and i had to dig deep to figure out this process.... In the end not a big deal... HOPE this helps ya..

jakethebt
05-04-2010, 02:40 PM
There is always the possibility that he is reading the wrong number off the boat? Probably just a typo some where, but keep us posted.

94PS190
05-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the advice Jd. I haven't heard back from the buyer yet, but I will pass that along. Would Mastercraft be any help at all here? If my , or his, title is good, can they confirm that?

jdubwall
05-05-2010, 02:44 AM
You have one of 2 options.... When I bought my boat the gal i bought it from had it since 1986... I gave her the HIN on my boat and she gave that to the DMV in Wisconsin and it was in the tommy bartlett shows name.... This is where the boat originally came from... I called the DNR and the guy i talked to was a ***** and put a tag in the DNR system for my registration.... He told me i had to go talk directly to the bartlett show to get the title transfered..... This was alot of work... I dug deeper and found out all i had to to was the pencil sketching and/or pic (i did both) give them the title you have and they will created a new title and all is cosher.... Don't bother calling MC they won't help and don't care.... Try this first, it will work out just fine..... Hope this helps ya....

94PS190
05-05-2010, 08:37 AM
Thanks again. Still haven't heard back from the buyer.

Age Fighter
05-05-2010, 09:58 AM
Thanks again. Still haven't heard back from the buyer.

Couple more thoughts: If you never hear back from the buyer again, then the issue will solve itself. Seems like the buyer is one with a lot to lose initially -- he / she just paid for a boat that is in jeopardy. If they are not worried, it says a lot.

I know that's not the "closure" you're looking for -- so you might just want to run it by your attorney quickly. Could give you some peace of mind, and if something does come of it, your attorney will already be somewhat up to speed.

Jim@BAWS
05-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Not sure how far off the #'s are. I just recieved an e-mail today from the new owner. I will post all of the iformation I get . Hopefully this woill not turn into a big mess. any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Please post what the HULL ID # is on the boat and what the title says

Normally if you are off by one DIGIT you can take the boat to the DMV with the bill of sale
and have them do a etching (PAPER AND CRAYON) of the HULL ID # to get it corrected.
Maybe you can also send that etching to the previous owner for him to correct. DO NOT SEND THE TITLE back Make a copy

Thanks for the advice Jd. I haven't heard back from the buyer yet, but I will pass that along. Would Mastercraft be any help at all here? If my , or his, title is good, can they confirm that?

The TITLE is not generated from MC. When the boat originally sold a MSO ( Manufactuers Statement of Origin) came with the boat. What ever state it was sold in generated a title from the MSO.

No...why would MC be of help? This is a 94 boat that has had 2-3 owners probably Not a MC Problem

Jim@BAWS