PDA

View Full Version : Trailer tires spin?

ntidsl
05-03-2010, 09:31 AM
When I jack my trailer up the tires will spin but not for long. There seems to be some drag, probably the brakes slightly. Should the tires spin for a long time? If I spin the wheel as hard as I can it may be around 3-4 times max. Ideas?

thatsmrmastercraft
05-03-2010, 09:35 AM
Brakes or wheel bearings are your options. Disc or drum? Can you hear any dragging sounds? Oil bath or grease? How old are the bearings? Last time they were serviced or replaced?

ntidsl
05-03-2010, 09:39 AM
I can hear slight dragging. Definitely not a problem with the oil bath bearings. My question is this: should the tires spin totally freely?

ntidsl
05-03-2010, 09:43 AM
The boat ramp I use is only 2 miles from my house. I have driven 180 miles back and forth to a lake once. I picked my boat up from the dealer 120 miles away. It's very safe to say my 2005 trailer only has less than 1000 miles on it.
I am thinking of towing to Tennessee once or twice this summer as my son is now 6 years old and trips are alot easier. Are there certain things that I can check for on my rubber as well? I hear alot of bad things happening to tires on trips.

Thrall
05-03-2010, 09:44 AM
Mine spine free, now that I took the brakes apart and cleaned up the bushings that the calipers slide on (except for the warped rotor wheel). I'd guess the brakes are hanging up a bit, pretty common.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Sounds like Thrall has you on the right track on the brakes. As far as the tires go, 5 year old tires with low mileage likely have a lot of rubber left, but due to their age, they may not be as reliable as you would like. Even if stored indoors and not weather checked or cracked I would consider new tires. You can still sell your old tires on craigslist to defer the cost of the new ones. Roadside tire issues, especially with your 6 year old along, aren't that much fun.

ntidsl
05-03-2010, 10:16 AM
thanks gentlemen!!! I'll clean my brakes up and see if I can get them free-er.

Miss Rita
05-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Getting 3-4 revolutions some slight brake drag is normal.