PDA

View Full Version : Hairline Cracks in Gelcoat

jx2
05-03-2010, 01:17 AM
Hi there, I have a 06 X2 and just got the hull detailed to get some scratches out. Prior to polishing and waxing there were no visible cracks. Now that I got the boat back it is nice and shiny and you can see and feel hairline cracks in several places. I'm not the original owner and I never transfered any papers. Is this a common problem and is there any thing Mastercraft will do or I should do?

Tom Jones
05-03-2010, 09:44 AM
I am on my second MC now and both of my boats (1994 205, 2004 197) had hairline cracks in the gelcoat (gunnels above the rubrail). I just noticed a couple of these hairline gelcoat cracks that I did not see before in my 2004. There have been other threads on this subject and I believe the concensus is that MC won't do anything about these. They are more of an annoyance to us perfectionsists than anything else. If the cracks are below the waterline and there isn't any abvious operator cause for them, I would definitely inquire to MC about it.

jx2
05-03-2010, 09:28 PM
The cracks are totally random all over the boat. They are all vertical from the rubrail down to below the waterline and follow no apparent paths. Not very happy; I thought Mastercraft was supposed to be high end boat. I'm going to transfer the boat to my name because I bought it used ($500 fee) and talk to the dealer more about it.

Tom Jones
05-04-2010, 08:06 AM
Let us know what the verdict is. I have never seen a MC with that type of cracking.

Skipper
05-05-2010, 10:12 PM
I completely restored a boat. boat rebuild (www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks). The gelcote had tiny cracks. When I grinded off all of the gelcote, I found that those cracks went all of the way into the outer surface of the fiberglass. I had to repair the fiberglass, then the gelcote.

jdhart73
05-05-2010, 10:30 PM
I found some on my 06 X2 that I purchased 2nd hand from a dealer. See this thread for photos http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=34919

Speaking of which I have not heard back from the damn dealer who was supposed to have emailed MC!!!

Jake

jimlongx
05-05-2010, 10:51 PM
Yesterday I was in the shop that has always done an excellent job on any fiberglass work I needed. He had a high dollar bass boat in the shop that had randomly spaced, vertical hairline cracks above the rub rails from the bow to the stern on the right side only. Johnny (the shop owner) said the owner of the boat told him the sun shined on the right side when it was stored and the owner thought the heat had caused the cracking. Johnny didn't buy that explanation. Johnny said the gel coat was the thickest he'd ever seen in all of his years working with fiberglass, he's guessing (educated) the excessive thickness caused the cracking.