PDA

View Full Version : First run of 2010.

Pax4d
05-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Took the 1982 S&S out today for its 2010 shakedown cruise. Didn't go all that well. The boat is my new project and got it over the winter. I am having a big issue getting the boat started. I was able to get it started and ran it for about 10 minutes, but it ran very poorly, surging, and feeling very sluggish. I stopped and checked things out and noticed the nuts on the new coil were not tight. I tighted, checked everything else I could and all looked good. It took 30 minutes to get it started again. Once I got it started again, it ran like it was brand new. IT was amazing. I was able to run full throttle, half, idle, everything. Ran it solid for about 30-40 minutes. Then as I was idleing and put back into gear it died. Once it died again and would not start. I have done alot of work to the engine over the winter (coil, wires, plugs, electronic ign, fuel filter, oil, new carb, etc) Since it ran so well after I fixed the loose coil connections, I feel that the tough starting is a tuning issue. But I am open to any suggestions. I really don't want to get towed back in and have to load the boat by hand again. Oh well, it was a beautiful day on the water either way.

Temp was fine (160), oil pressure solid, etc.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-02-2010, 08:54 PM
I would verify that the base timing is set right. Then check for vacuum leaks at the carb base gasket.

Were you getting spark after it died the last time? Could be another loose electrical connection.

Pax4d
05-03-2010, 06:28 PM
My boat shop felt it was the starter solenoid going out and not allowing enough spark once the engine is hot. I am not sure that's correct or not, but at this stage its a game of working through options until I find the one that is the culprit.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check them too.

Ubugme2
05-03-2010, 09:53 PM
This is my boat today with almost no wind! I love it. Some may notice tower feet with no tower? Thats right I have a hole in my boat from a tower installed by the last owner.

Ubugme2
05-03-2010, 09:56 PM
And one while I was messing around.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-03-2010, 10:34 PM
My boat shop felt it was the starter solenoid going out and not allowing enough spark once the engine is hot. I am not sure that's correct or not, but at this stage its a game of working through options until I find the one that is the culprit.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check them too.

Installing a new $12 solenoid is never a bad thing. Of course any bad connection will only get worse with some heat involved.

MatthewStokes
05-04-2010, 12:39 PM
I can personally attest to a bad starter solenoid/relay issue that I just fixed on my 92 PS 205. I replaced the battery due to the previous owner using a car battery and it just wouldn't start very well, lots of cranking and praying that it would catch. With brand new battery had the exact same issue. When trying to start it, it was acting like the battery was just about dead, hard to crank and just didn't catch well. I finally replaced the solenoid, cleaned all of the rust/corrosion off of all of the wires at the solenoid and it starts like a champ now. I do need to adjust the choke as it is running lean while cold. For the 205 I got the marine grade solenoid from NAPA for $23.

MatthewStokes
05-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Here's a link to the solenoid for my boat if it helps (not sure which engine you have): http://www.napaautoparts.com/Search/Results.aspx?Ntt=18-5801&Ntk=Keyword&Nty=1&N=0 . The stock solenoid is a 3 post design whereas the replacement is a 4 post. You just don't connect to the 4th small post.