PDA

View Full Version : White Oily sludge bubbled up over engine

Lisa North
05-02-2010, 05:52 PM
We just put in our 1994 22 1/2 foot Mastercraft Maristar for the first time this season. Just from putting in the water to getting it to our dock (not very far), the engine smoked and a milky oily sludge bubbled up over the entire engine. It later cooled to a thick syrupy substance. I am attempting to clean it up. What was this caused from and what damage am I looking at?

Chief
05-02-2010, 05:59 PM
We just put in our 1994 22 1/2 foot Mastercraft Maristar for the first time this season. Just from putting in the water to getting it to our dock (not very far), the engine smoked and a milky oily sludge bubbled up over the entire engine. It later cooled to a thick syrupy substance. I am attempting to clean it up. What was this caused from and what damage am I looking at?

Oil and water mixing, not a good combo. Where did the oil sludge bubble up from? Pull the dipstick and look at it. Sounds like a headgasket failure.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Better check your oil dipstick. You may have a problem with water in your oil.

58Carter
05-02-2010, 06:08 PM
In my hot rodding days, a white, kinda grey, slimy gunk on the dip stick meant water/anti freeze in the oil. NOT GOOD.

Kyle
05-03-2010, 12:01 AM
post some pics

Jerseydave
05-03-2010, 09:16 AM
First of all, who winterized it in the fall and did everything get put back in place before you just used it? If any plugs were left out that will cause it to overheat. If the oil filler cap is off that will cause oil to be sprayed everywhere.

You should have your local MC dealer check it out BEFORE you try to run it again, oil in the engine area is a fire hazard. Or take it back to the mechanic that winterized it and have it looked over.

Hopefully it's something minor and not a cracked engine block from poor winterization.