PDA

View Full Version : Lake Havasu Trip

smoketu
05-02-2010, 09:55 AM
I'm looking to plan a trip maybe late July to Lake Havasu with wife and kids. Just looking for opinions on where to stay, best areas to board, where to launch anything you guys could help me with. We will probably plan the trip during the week stay in a hotel{would love to do the house boat thing ,but i would assume a little on the costly side!} and maybe staying 2-3 days. Thanks for the help. Coz i know this is probably right up your alley!

JimN
05-02-2010, 10:44 AM
I'm looking to plan a trip maybe late July to Lake Havasu with wife and kids. Just looking for opinions on where to stay, best areas to board, where to launch anything you guys could help me with. We will probably plan the trip during the week stay in a hotel{would love to do the house boat thing ,but i would assume a little on the costly side!} and maybe staying 2-3 days. Thanks for the help. Coz i know this is probably right up your alley!

I hope you like high temperatures- there's a reason VH-1 goes during Spring Break.

dummy
05-02-2010, 11:09 AM
We go in the summer months all the time with little kids. Bring a sunshade/ez-up, hats for the kids, etc and it's all good.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd176/chinhazel/IMG_0985.jpg

If you can afford it I'd look into renting a condo or small house with a garage. That's what we usually do. www.vbro.com or craigslist. Havasu has plenty 'cause many rent to the snowbirds in the winter and boaters in the summer.

Launching - Site Six over the London Bridge is public and free but the ramp is slippery and there's a gnarly drop-off if you sink your trailer too deep. It's also really steep for loading/unloading and can get crowded with chuckleheads who can't launch.

Windsor is much better. Again, can get crowded on a weekend, but there are 6 wide launch ramps and most people there know what they're doing so the line moves fast. It's like $10/day or something (can't remember - we buy the annual pass). Windsor is north of London Bridge but still local and close. West Marine is right there too, so you can swing in to pick up anything you forget/need.

Cattail Cove is about 20-30 miles south of town and is usually pretty deserted. It's a good place to launch if you're looking to poke around the southern end of the lake and don't want to motor down from Windsor. Again, like $10/day or whatever - Ariz parks pass covers it too so I'm not sure

Wakeboard spots: there are literally dozens of good little coves all along the banks of the lake. Our usual spot, however is on the north side right where the river dumps into the lake along the Arizona beach. It's pretty shallow getting in there, but in the summer the water is much cooler (which is nice) and it's a great little 1/4-mile long wakeboard run. Most of the goobers and tubers keep clear of the area because the channel can be VERY shallow along the outside edge. Hug the beach side and make your turns sharp and all is good. We've had 3 and 4 boats running boarders in this spot and as long as everybody knows how to drive the water stays in great shape.

Otherwise, we usually find a little cove across the lake from Site Six if we're hanging in the middle of the lake. There are a couple good ones in there. For the southern end down by Cattail there's a bunch of really good little coves on the Arizona side of the shore.

Good luck and have fun.

coz
05-02-2010, 11:23 AM
You have a few options. Havasu city has all kinds of hotels with slips and leave your boat in areas and a bunch off the lake as well but this is where all the people like to go because of the London Bridge, it's a great place to boat to if you're staying at the other places I'll give you, but it's real packed with people and boats on the weekend but the weekdays are wonderful.

Cattai Cove is a cool place about half way between Parker dam and Havasu city on the lake. They have single wides they rent in a campground environment with a store, restaurant and nice beaches with awesome coves to board in and you can leave your boat in or take it out everynight. We have friends that stay here and they love it. http://azstateparks.com/parks/CACO/index.html

Down by the parker dam it the best spot on the lake for riding IMO (actually this lake is huge so there's all kinds of places but down here is less crowded) and there's Havasu Springs resort which has everything, or you can get a hotel below the parker dam like Holiday Harbor Inn (there's a few others too)and use the free public launch that's a 1/2 mile up river from the hotel, this is the one we use if it get to busy on the strip but you have to pull out everynight unless you're beach camping and it's called take off point. You can launch then go find your own private or cove to play and take the family for a cruise up to the London Bridge for a day trip, it's a blast doing it this way because you can hit all the coves on the way up and get some of the best riding water you've ever had. Here's a couple shots from the end of the lake and take off point.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/007-21.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/009-20.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/008-20.jpg

There's all kinds of place on the Parker Strip to stay too, and this is where all the floating bars are but this is a dangerous area for the bottom of your boat if you don't know the place.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/013-18.jpg

coz
05-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Just to pump you up, here's what it looks like in the early morning :D

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/001-24.jpg

smoketu
05-02-2010, 05:14 PM
I knew you guys would have some great feedback! It all looks great! We've never gone up this way so was just looking for some insight. I'll note these different websites and check them out. I think the hotel may be my best bet. We're not really campers and I'd feel better about having my boat pulled out at night. I'll keep you guys updated on my findings and I'm sure will have more questions.

funk
05-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Just got back from a little summer kickoff to Havasu Springs. Almost 100 right now, water temp still on the cool side but pleasant. I am biased but we love Havasu Springs. Stayed in one of the vista's/villa's, whatever they call them. Very nice view and cheap this time of year. I also agree with Coz on the wakeboarding/skiing, we usually stick to the very south end early morning and evenings. Havasu is so big though you can usually find clean water everywhere at the times above. It's about 18-20 miles up to the city though on water so if you are planning on being up there, you might want to stay there. We usually head up to the city at least one day of the trip, otherwise stay south or hit the other coves to hang, tie up, jump off cliffs, meet others. We chatted with a pair of mastercrafts at Palm Tree Cove, I guess they might call it American Flag cove now that they hung one there. Newer X-1 I believe and an 82 S&S. Good times though for sure, I'll be back a few times this summer. I think we might try taking the RV and staying at Black Meadows next time, they have sites right on the water.

A few pics.. daughter, dive off rock, my family on rock, friends in our boat..

Dylan
05-21-2010, 02:42 PM
Excellent pictures! Any info on the villas you stayed at? We usually stay in town, or up the river in Laughlin.
Thanks!

funk
05-21-2010, 03:41 PM
They have a basic description on the website at http://www.havasusprings.com/ under the motel section. They also have 2 motels there, never stayed in a room though. I think they say Vista Suites. We had one from Thursday - Monday, 4 nights, for $310. That included the dock slip as well(normally $18 a day) which was about 20 steps down from us. They say $120 a night during the summer and I'm sure they get you for more on the holiday weekends. They are 1 and 2 bedroom apartments basically, full kitchen, 2 queen beds in the rooms, couch in living room pulls out as well. This is river accomadations though so don't expect anything too fancy!!