PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn woodford key on drive shaft

Jim-84SS
05-01-2010, 08:16 PM
I pulled the prop on my 84 Stars/Stripes to have some minor rebalancing/repair work done. Now, with the prop repair done, the darn woodruff key on the prop shaft absolutely does not want to come out. I would like to pull it out, remove burrs and nicks, and then lap the prop before reinstalling. Any ideas on how to gently remove this key, or should I be less gentle, and just plan on replacing it? ...and have others found that lapping the prop is worth the time and effort for vibration dampening?
Thanks...

Chicago190
05-01-2010, 08:38 PM
I had the same problem. I had to use a small wood block and mallet to the get the key out of the keyway.

You shouldn't have any vibration without lapping the prop and shaft, but it is recommended to properly install a new prop on a tapered shaft. If you have valve grinding compound then there's no reason not to do it since it only takes 5-10 mins.

Jim-84SS
05-01-2010, 10:13 PM
That did the trick. Modest effort from both sides allowed it to wiggle up enough to then simply insert a small flat-head blade underneath, and pry it straight out. Thanks for the tip. This key did not have slight chamfers on the inside edges, as I have seen recommended. I'll hone off the rough spots, add a little chamfering, and reinstall. Thanks again.