PDA

View Full Version : L18 Starter Lube

Hrkdrivr
05-01-2010, 04:23 PM
I have an '06 X-45 with the L18. It only has 100 hrs on it (I know, criminal), but we've had it for three years now (since new) and I've never lubed the starter. Having just conquered a problem with my Ford diesel, I think I can tackle this.

Any tips on removal? I can't find any pics or how-tos in the engine section. I know where it is, which is a good start...port side, pretty far forward.

Thanks again!

thatsmrmastercraft
05-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Not familiar with that engine, but the one piece of advice is to put something on the bottom of your boat to protect the hull in case you inadvertently drop the starter. Hate to have it come to rest on your driveway.

Hrkdrivr
05-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Haha...wow! That heavy, huh? That would ruin my day!!

thatsmrmastercraft
05-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Well, I might have exaggerated a little, but it is heavy enough to do some damage.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-01-2010, 05:51 PM
Mini starter weighs about 9 pounds. Wouldn't want to drop it on my toe.

Hrkdrivr
05-02-2010, 12:11 AM
That's for sure!

east tx skier
05-02-2010, 12:58 AM
I have been advised on this site that it's a good bit of maintenance to do. I have been advised by my local inboard mechanic that it's not worth the trouble. I started to do it on my MC at one point and decided not to worry with it.

MC probably still recommends it, but I'm in my second 12+ year old boat which I suspect has never undergone this bit of maintenance. I figure it will go when it goes and I'll have it rebuilt. Lazy, I know.

vision
05-02-2010, 01:13 AM
I have been advised on this site that it's a good bit of maintenance to do. I have been advised by my local inboard mechanic that it's not worth the trouble. I started to do it on my MC at one point and decided not to worry with it.

MC probably still recommends it, but I'm in my second 12+ year old boat which I suspect has never undergone this bit of maintenance. I figure it will go when it goes and I'll have it rebuilt. Lazy, I know.

I have to go with east tx skier on this one.

I have often wondered why the starter in my MC needs lubrication when none of the cars or trucks I have owned have ever had their starter lubricated? Heck, it is not even listed in any maintenance manual for any vehicle I have owned. The starters in my vehicles see more moisture and dirt than the one in my MC!

I assume starter problems were common at one time in MCs?

mcmx2
05-02-2010, 11:20 AM
I had 19 years and 1150 hours on my 89 190 when I sold it and the starter had never been touched. I did do lots of maintenance on the boat but never greased the starter.

JimN
05-02-2010, 11:42 AM

Your local mechanic is going against the manufacturer's advice if he says it's not worth doing. We were told that this should be done annually. Condensation gets into every nook and cranny and it doesn't take much moisture to get the rust started. In your location, you may not have large temperature inversions but in places where we do, starters lock up all the time.

I guess your local guy is just going by local conditions, but high temperatures also causes any grease to sling off more easily that cooler places.

slickwater1
05-02-2010, 04:31 PM
what and where on starter are you greasing. My starter is sealed and don't know if they are talking about the bendix or what.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-02-2010, 04:38 PM
The discussion is on lubricating the shaft the starter drive (bendix) rides on.