PDA

View Full Version : Water in Trans Fluid?

tall_ andy
06-22-2005, 09:39 AM
I just changed the trans fluid because it wasn't looking quite right. The fluid that came out was more pink in color than red, and it was more opaque than translucent (I know big words). I went out and ran the boat for about 15-20 mins and came back to check the fluid. It wasn't as pink, but still not the color it was when I put it in. I changed it again and covered the boat to go home.
Does it sound like water in the fluid? If so where should I start trouble shooting. I was thinking the oil cooler.

Thanks
Andy
PS 88 Prostar 190 Borg Warner Velvet Drive 1:1

ski_king
06-22-2005, 10:19 AM
Kinda sounds like water in the oil.
Did you notice any oil going out with the exaust?

tall_ andy
06-22-2005, 10:22 AM
haven't noticed any thing different about the exaust, I'll keep it in mind to check

BriEOD
06-22-2005, 10:27 AM
Kinda sounds like water in the oil.
Did you notice any oil going out with the exaust?

You lost me on this one Denny. In my limited knowledge I can't see how the exaust has anything to do with the transmission. :confused:

I agree that the tranmission cooler would be the most logical place to start.

Tennesseeski
06-22-2005, 11:16 AM
How long had the fluid been in before you decided to change it the first time?

ski_king
06-22-2005, 11:20 AM
You lost me on this one Denny. In my limited knowledge I can't see how the exaust has anything to do with the transmission. :confused:

I agree that the tranmission cooler would be the most logical place to start.
It water is getting into the oil in the cooler, there is a chance some oil is getting into the water and being pumped thru the cooling and out with the exaust.

tall_ andy
06-22-2005, 11:26 AM
not sure, fluid looked okay last year when I winterized, and I didn't get the boat in the water til late this year. Seems to run fine other than a squeal at idle/no wake speed as soon as I give it some throttle the squeal disappears. I was thinking the squeal was due to packing around shaft.

Tom023
06-22-2005, 11:30 AM
Sounds like some water remained in the cooler when you winterized and cracked it. You can take the cooler to a rediator shop and have it pressure tested to see if it has a leak.

tall_ andy
06-22-2005, 11:57 AM
Sounds like that may be the best idea. should any radiator shop be able to test it?
Thnx