PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Position problem

fatthmjr
05-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Hello,

I've noticed the last few times that I've started my boat that the throttle has been extremely sensitive to exactly where it was at...Does it require any maintanence? I have a 90 tristar 190 w/ 351....Sometimes when I turn the key over nothing happens, I immediately check the kill switch and its always been fine. I then wiggle the trottle forward and backwards a bit and every single time it turns over fine after that...I'm looking in the manuel but I haven't found anything specific about the trottle....any suggestions? Are their contact points or something? Thanks for the help, Mike

TMCNo1
05-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Check the "Neutral Safety Switch" on the transmission, it may have gone bad and needs replacing, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R153011. (http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R153011) or at a MC dealer.
You can remove the wires off the switch and run a jumper across them and if the boat starts without hesitation or just take the wires off the switch and hook a continuity tester or ohmmeter across the terminals. When the shift arm is in neutral you should have continuity through the switch. When you shift to forward or reverse you should not have continuity. If yours does not work like that, get a new switch.

These are the best pictures I could find on the site, but,

fatthmjr
05-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks a ton...I'll check that out and post what I find...I appreciate the pictures...

fatthmjr
05-04-2010, 09:52 AM
So I checked the Neutral Safety Switch with my meter...no issues. I did notice that the linkage from the throttle was sticking a bit so I put some wd 40 on it and it no longer sticks...just below the ball with the spring loaded portion that you have to pull up to put in gear....

Does anyone know if their are any syncro's or mircro's (i think that is what they are called) in the throttle linkage that might be the issue? It seems like there is about an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch play in the linkage that might be causing it...Is there any adjustments or anything? thanks for the help...

JimN
05-04-2010, 10:04 AM
If anything, I would suspect the shift cable, since it has some play. On a boat that's almost 20 years old, it's about time. The cable ends can sometimes be adjusted to remove/limit play.

east tx skier
05-04-2010, 01:27 PM
These are the best pictures I could find on the site, but,

Wow, Harold! Your drive train is rusty! :D

fatthmjr
05-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Jim N,

Are you saying replace it? I took the three screws out of it yesterday to inspect it and didn't notice any corrosion or anything? Where/how are the cable ends adjusted, Thanks, Mike