PDA

View Full Version : cover and kill switch

Hodge Podge
08-20-2004, 12:32 AM
My new 2004 205V is all and more :smile: but I have two problems.

1. Cover- the rear right side holds water when it rains. The water proofing is so good that the water pools. :mad: Any suggestions?

2. The kill switch- it seems the kill pull cord does not push the kill switch in far enough. :mad: Any suggestions?

Anbody else had these problems? :rolleyes:

JimN
08-20-2004, 01:08 AM
They've had a lot of problems with the safety switches lately. Call your dealer and see if they'll do it under warranty.

Alteczen
08-20-2004, 02:37 AM
I have an x-2 and had kill switch issues. Dealer will swap it out. I have no problems with the cover though. Do you have snapon cover or regular ratchet cover?

ski_king
08-20-2004, 08:31 AM
I have found my cover to pool at times if my boat isnt sitting level.

If the right side is sitting higher, the cover will not have its normal slope for the water to run off and it will pool, which can and will strech the cover.
Once the cover has streched and have the boat sitting level, you can still have the problem.

H20skeefreek
08-20-2004, 08:46 AM
My new 2004 205V is all and more :smile: but I have two problems.

1. Cover- the rear right side holds water when it rains. The water proofing is so good that the water pools. :mad: Any suggestions?

2. The kill switch- it seems the kill pull cord does not push the kill switch in far enough. :mad: Any suggestions?

Anbody else had these problems? :rolleyes:

my boat doesn't even have a kill switch....when did they start putting them on?

bradamerry
08-20-2004, 09:03 AM
My 87' has one. I had some problems with it at first, but I went with a SEADOO jetski switch. No problems now??

Leroy
08-20-2004, 10:14 AM
I think almost everyone that has to use a cover has some trouble with water standing. There are some posts on the other site of people building PVC structures for the cover to rest on that worked well. I think some extra support underneath is the answer. Tent poles work well also and don't take much space. I keep a 10' piece of hose to siphon off if that happens to me.

east tx skier
08-20-2004, 11:33 AM
Assuming the cover-support technology has not drastically changed in the newer boats, you need to engage the cover support poles, or build some sort of tenting system so that the water runs off. BriEOD has some pictures of a good one on the old board. There's also a how-to on the malibu boat owners site with pictures. I used to be a big believer in the strap-tent thing you can buy in many of the catalogs, but in a direct drive boat, you can't get the center pole in the right place so that the water runs off in the back. It might work better on a v-drive. I'd say either use the cover support poles or build a pvc support system.

Hodge Podge
08-20-2004, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to raise the front of my boats lift and see if that works. If that does not work I will try to build the PVC supports.

As for the kill switch I will try the seedoo switch before the boat goes to the garage and I will see the dealer about the warranty.

Tom Wortham
08-20-2004, 03:24 PM
H2O, I have an 86 and it does not have a kill switch... so they must have started in 87.

89PROSTAR
08-20-2004, 04:20 PM
I bypassed mine after it went bad out on the water and I couldn't get the boat to start. I'm out of hear, heading down to Shasta for the week. :woohoo:

paulphillipson
08-20-2004, 07:03 PM
HodgePodge, I had an '86 with no kill switch, and an '88 with one. The switch gave me nothing but trouble, so I made a jumper to bypass the thing. As for pooling, when I had my '86, I had no garage, and I had snow and water issues with the cover. I bought the wooden bow from Overtons, which lasted a few years, but then I used 3/8 pvc bent in an upside-down "U" shape in two places toward the stern. It worked well. I was able to wedge the pvc ends into the joint between the floorboards and the inside of the boat. Good luck.

Lance
08-20-2004, 07:11 PM
Do you guys actually use the kill switch? I generally take safety measures pretty seriously but just don't see a situation where the driver is thrown out of the boat! Or is this protecting agains something else? The red cable in mine got loaded up with mildew (or possibly rust) several years ago so I just cut the cord off.

I understand and agree with the need for a kill switch on a PWC but seems like overkill for an MC. What percentage of users do think are actually using it?

I also have a pontoon boat and don't use the kill switch their either.

How bad am I?

Lance

bmxracer4
08-20-2004, 09:16 PM
I just bought a 2004 X-7. 3rd time putting in on the water, the boat would not start. After cranking it over and over, watching the voltage gauge down to 11v, checking the fuses and throttle control, made sure it was out of gear, and everything else I could think of, it would not start. Needless to say I was a little pissed off(especially because the lake was glass) We pulled the boat out, and I had the idea to remove the kill switch bracket and re-insert it. Lowered the boat back in the water, and the boat started. I spoke with the local dealer, and he made a suggestion to always turn the key, wait to the instrument panel buzzer goes off and reads and the orange "engine" light stays on, then crank the boat. Works like a champ. I am eventually going to rewire the switch, not that I am a big fan of overriding interlocks, but I do not really see a use for it. I don't attach it to my wrist.

:wavey:

MarkP
08-20-2004, 09:49 PM
Lance,

I must be bad too. I don't use it eather:o

NeilM
08-23-2004, 12:29 AM
Me either... They're a PITA...

JimN
08-23-2004, 02:27 AM
They're replacing the bad switches with different ones that don't have this problem. If the Coast Guard inspects the boat and you don't have the switch working, they'll probably make you go home. The '04 is under warranty anyway.

H20skeefreek
08-23-2004, 08:19 AM
They're replacing the bad switches with different ones that don't have this problem. If the Coast Guard inspects the boat and you don't have the switch working, they'll probably make you go home. The '04 is under warranty anyway.

The only Coast Guard I have to deal with is the Coast Gaurd Auxilary. What a bunch of mall cops, besides mine didn't come with one from the factory, so the 65 year old boy scouts can @!%* me. Besides, like was said above, who actually attaches the lanyard to themselves?

georgea0731
08-23-2004, 10:34 AM
My 04 X7 did it within 15 minutes of our first outing. We're on a public lake and the Marine Police do check if they decide to stop you. My wife puts it on a wrist band. Anyway, when she put it on it moves the switch so it won't start. The dealer ordered a replacement over the phone and got the wrong size clip and lanyard. It seems MC is using different ones, different sizes. A $40K boat and a $5 piece makes it worthless!
MC needs to fix this problem and get a better quality supplier. My dealer will get the correct clip and lanyard when it goes in for winterization in Oct. Until then we put a wedge in then and it forces the switch to make contact. The boat is 3 hours from the dealer.
Thanks