PDA

View Full Version : X-30 Water Pump Wobble

danall705
04-28-2010, 06:07 PM
I have a 2004 X-30 and found the water pump L bracket broken and the pump wobbling at idle. I welded the bracket, reinstalled and noticed the pump still has a good wobble at idle. Is this normal to wobble at idle or should I look further into this?

I am also wondering, I have the LQ9 motor with closed cooling and wondered what the easiest method is to change the coolant?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom Jones
04-28-2010, 08:03 PM
I had a noticeable wobble on my 1994 LT1 and it turned out to be the harmonic balancer.
Might want to check it out. Do u feel a vibration in the engine at certain speeds?

danall705
04-29-2010, 11:38 AM
No vibration, it is only a visual observation at idle and the fact that the L bracket was broke. I was wondering if this a typical "break" area and just needs to be watched or if I have a larger issue on my hands.

Craig
04-29-2010, 12:32 PM
My 94 LT1 has had the same problem. The bolt holding the L bracket on sheared off. Main crank seems to be operating normally, no wild vibrations, etc.

I took the pump off to inspect and found nothing wrong with it. Bearings are perfect.

I suspect that it just was not aligned correctly on the pulley. I haven't put it back on yet but when I do I am going to put some spacers in the through holes on the pump to tighten up the alignment of the pump and see if that helps.

Might be something worth looking into.