PDA

View Full Version : Tranny issue...

markhuntsville
04-28-2010, 12:08 PM
I've got a '88 PS190 with less than 300hrs. We took the boat out last week for a test run and were pulling my son up when the tranny appeared to have a catastrophic failure..... a bang, lots of grinding sounds and the engine revving up....

We immediately killed the engine, lifted the cover, took a look and no outward visible signs of any external failure.

Re-started the engine and the tranny immediatly sounds like nuts & bolts rattling around in a coffee can...

We haven't pulled the tranny yet, but I'm guessing it's toast.... opinions?

If it's 'grenaded' (term I've heard before describing what the internals look like if a grenade went off) - is it worth rebuilding? Or should I simply bite the bullet and purchase a new tranny?

Where to get parts for rebuild like this?
Where to purchase a replacement tranny?

Thanks for any input... the family is pushing me to get this fixed and back to the water...

thatsmrmastercraft
04-28-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm no expert on your transmission, but the folks at www.skidim.com are. Give them a call and they should be able to take care of you with advice, parts or a new trans.

markhuntsville
04-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the info - I couldn't get the website to come up..?

I did find a website that sells the parts, with an illustrated parts giude for PNs;
http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/bw_sch_fs.html

I'm no expert on your transmission, but the folks at www.skidim.com are. Give them a call and they should be able to take care of you with advice, parts or a new trans.

dmminfla
04-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Mark, Don't get too worried. I'll bet your tranny is fine. What most likley happend is you trashed the damper plate. What sounds like marbles are the springs spinning in the bell housing against the hit flywheel. It hapened on my 86 last year. for less tha $100.00 you can get a new one. There not too hard to change if you have a helper to tilt the motor up. This is the one I used.

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=eBasicPower&Product_Code=ALTDA-106A&Category_Code=DAMPERS

markhuntsville
04-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks - that does get my hopes up....

So - is it possible to inspect/remove/replace this without removing the tranny?
(is there a writeup on this somewhere? - aren't these forums great?)

I've got lots of helpers that want to get out on the water!

Mark, Don't get too worried. I'll bet your tranny is fine. What most likley happend is you trashed the damper plate. What sounds like marbles are the springs spinning in the bell housing against the hit wheel. It hapened on my 86 last year. for less tha $100.00 you can get a new one. There not too hard to change if you have a helper to tilt the motor up. This is the one I used.

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=eBasicPower&Product_Code=ALTDA-106A&Category_Code=DAMPERS

dmminfla
04-28-2010, 02:29 PM
To verify it's the damper plate, remove the starter an look inside the bell housing. If you see lots of metal shavings you should be happy. To change it you will need to split the drive shaft coupler, remove the exhaust hoses,water hoses and remove the rear engine mount bolts. Then I would tilt the engine forward and block it up. Then remove the bell housing with traminssion. I actually did it by my self once but it was tough. The damper is held on by 6 bolts.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-28-2010, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the info - I couldn't get the website to come up..?

I did find a website that sells the parts, with an illustrated parts giude for PNs;
http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/bw_sch_fs.html

This will get you there, or call (803) 345-0996

http://www.skidim.com/

markhuntsville
04-28-2010, 03:38 PM
Great! Thanks - I'll probably pull the starter tonight.

This makes sense - one thing we did was pull the dipstick and look at the tranny fluid - we didn't see ANYTHING abnormal - we even put a magnetic screw driver down into the case, moved it around and pulled it out slowly - nothing was on it (it's a REALLY strong magnetized screwdriver).

To verify it's the damper plate, remove the starter an look inside the bell housing. If you see lots of metal shavings you should be happy. To change it you will need to split the drive shaft coupler, remove the exhaust hoses,water hoses and remove the rear engine mount bolts. Then I would tilt the engine forward and block it up. Then remove the bell housing with traminssion. I actually did it by my self once but it was tough. The damper is held on by 6 bolts.

markhuntsville
04-28-2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks - the website came up through this link...

This will get you there, or call (803) 345-0996

http://www.skidim.com/

uncleboo
04-28-2010, 03:42 PM
The above posts sound like a good place to start before tearing out the transmission. If you get in over your head, then you have a great dealer nearby at Rambo Marine who can also help.

Kyle
04-29-2010, 01:28 AM
I have rebuilt several Borg Warner Transmissions, slot and non-slot. If you trashed the tranny the fluid will have tiny shavings almost like fine graphite or grayish material in the fluid. If you stuck a magnet and nothing came out then it should be just fine. The trannies are pretty much bullet proof so I would bet it is the damper plate as well. I purchased every rebuild kit from www.ebasicpower.com and the man that I spoke with knew every piece that needed to go into it without looking at a shop manual. He used to rebuild them daily for a living and knows what he is talking about. Not the best since of humor or friendly kind of person but one who is strictly business and lets hurry up kind of guy. I had all of my parts in a matter of days and would do business with them again.

Good Luck

hkallestad
04-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Take a lot of pictures of the process and post them here! We love pictures! I'm about to remove the tranny and bellhousing as well, I'm planning to do it while the boat is on the water, hope it doesn't sink;-) (I have a ball valve on the raw water intake)

Good luck!

markhuntsville
04-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Good news - removed the start this afternoon at viola! Shrapnel in the bell housing!
(sorta wierd being happy about finding shrapnel... but it's better than the alternative)

Lots of little pieces of metal piled up below the starter nose.

I'll get pictures when we pull the boat into the garage and start the repair.
(beside my Jeep that is in the middle of a transmission swap itself...5sp to auto changeover)

So - how do I know which damper plate to get?

I've seen the 'triangle style' and the completely 'round style'?

My boat is a 1988 ProStar 190 with the Ford motor and standard 1:1 BW Velvet Drive.

Thanks to you all for the support and help!

ttu
04-29-2010, 07:04 PM
call discount inboard marine direct at 803-345-0996 or of couse check with your local dealer:D

pkskier
04-29-2010, 08:29 PM
I replaced mine on my '87 with the same engine and transmission that you have several years ago and it was the triangle style. I did mine by myself, disconnected the shaft coupler and the rear engine mounts that are on the tranny. I pick the tranny up and set it off to the side on the floor board of the boat, did not disconnect any lines just the shift cable and the neutral safety switch and then took the bell housing off. It is not a hard job. Forgot, you need to put some blocks under the rear of the engine to hold it up.

dmminfla
04-30-2010, 08:24 AM
Good news - removed the start this afternoon at viola! Shrapnel in the bell housing!
(sorta wierd being happy about finding shrapnel... but it's better than the alternative)

Lots of little pieces of metal piled up below the starter nose.

I'll get pictures when we pull the boat into the garage and start the repair.
(beside my Jeep that is in the middle of a transmission swap itself...5sp to auto changeover)

So - how do I know which damper plate to get?

I've seen the 'triangle style' and the completely 'round style'?

My boat is a 1988 ProStar 190 with the Ford motor and standard 1:1 BW Velvet Drive.

Thanks to you all for the support and help!

Both will work. I used the triangle on my 86 because it was half the price. If you use the triangle it will only use 3 bolts.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R140001