PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust leak

wannabe
04-27-2010, 10:52 PM
I have a pinhole leak in my 2000 PS 205 Silent Master (exhaust). Looking for advice: patch or repair, (JB Weld? Fiberglass/resin? or replace the part?) Thanks

Monte
04-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Is it leaking water or exhaust?

wannabe
04-28-2010, 07:50 AM
it's spiting water from the forward seam

Monte
04-28-2010, 07:58 AM
It looks like you can repair it.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79636

slickwater1
04-28-2010, 08:19 AM
just got done doing mine. I have a ps190 and all four of the exhaust ports on the muffler were leaking. took it off, sanded the areas applied resin and mat. looks like brand new.

wannabe
04-28-2010, 12:31 PM
sounds like good news, removal looks like it should be straight forward enough, are there any tricks I should be aware of? can you recommend any specific products? I'm all ears...

Craig
04-28-2010, 12:57 PM
I have patched a small leak where a bolt rubbed a pinhole in the exhaust with JB Weld, it has held up for over a year now. The hole was maybe 4-5mm in diameter.

A crack where the tube changes shape as it couples to either side of the exhaust hoses (as described in the Wake World post) will fail quickly with a JB weld fix. Patching with some fiberglass would be the best way to go in that situation.

wannabe
04-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks, this leak on the bend from where the larger diameter cylinder bends down to the smaller diameter neck that is connected to the hose coming from the engine/manifold, sounds like I'm heading toward my first try at working with fiberglass, is all fiberglass created equal? or is there a particular type better suited for this application?

AUFan
04-28-2010, 01:27 PM
When I bought my 99 Maristar, the dealer had patched my exhaust with JB weld. Lasted only two seasons and was a PAIN to sand off. I put some fiberglass on it this past weekend. I went to Advance Auto and got the fiberglass mat and used Bondo resin/hardener.

One first timer to another, make sure anything you use that touches the resin/mat is disposable. Also, the fumes are terrible. I did it in my garage with the fans on and door open and still walked away with a rockin headache from the fumes.

Good luck! Should be a no brainer!

etduc
04-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Thanks, this leak on the bend from where the larger diameter cylinder bends down to the smaller diameter neck that is connected to the hose coming from the engine/manifold, sounds like I'm heading toward my first try at working with fiberglass, is all fiberglass created equal? or is there a particular type better suited for this application?

Auto parts house, generally will have a fiberglass kit. It's pretty simple. If you just have pin holes, JBweld will work. Sand and clean the area, first, befor applying.

Don't over tighten exhaust hose clamps.

wannabe
04-28-2010, 09:53 PM
thanks for all of the good advice, getting more confident by the 'post', next for me is a trip to the auto parts store followed by a day to devote to the project

Campbell
07-05-2010, 09:32 AM
FABTECH - This product hardens like fiberglass instantly via chem reaction. It will fix any hole

wannabe
07-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Thanks, will keep it in mind, the pinhole leaks magically fixed themselves on the third time out this season???
Ever since I tightened the fitting around the shaft as it comes through the hull the bilge has been as dry as a bone.
Fingers Crossed