PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Prostar 205 cutting out

Salom4life
04-27-2010, 06:05 PM
I have a 97 prostar 205 and after running it for about 45 minutes it starts bogging down like its not getting fuel any more. I have emptied the gas tank and cleaned it out, replaced fuel pump. Once i started working on it i noticed the distributor cap was in bad shape so i replaced that as well. I hooked up a pressure gauge on the fuel line and when the boat is running fine i have 30 psi. When the problem starts to occur it drops to 10-15 psi. Any suggestions???? Feel free to comment or email me at presnalk@yahoo.com

Footin
04-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Check the screen where the fuel line enters the pump, I think this is seperate from the pump itself. They tend to get clogged.

93Prostar190
04-27-2010, 09:49 PM
Vent lines to the fuel tank working properly? wondering if the tank is sealed tight (since it is not venting) and on a carb boat that would cause pressure drop?

Not likely but I have seen it on other boats with carbs, especially after winter layup.

Salom4life
04-27-2010, 10:03 PM
when i cleaned the fuel tank the screens did have some trash but already took care of that......I will check the vent lines and the tank to see if its sealed correctly. And this boat is fuel injected. Thanks for the help guys

dlboltond
04-28-2010, 10:21 PM
I have a 95 Maristar 205 and I have a similar problem. I runs great when at full throttle, but if ran at normal speeds for any time, there is significant power loss. When running at top speed, there is no problem up to 10-15 min. If i do the same thing at about 30mph, I start to lose power. I can push the throtlle to about 9 o'clock with good response. Any further, there is a significant loss of power. Starts fine and is great out of the hole, but top speed is not there. If I turn it off and let it sit for a little while, I can get back to top speeds. Does this sound familiar? BTW- new fuel pump as well

CruisinGA
04-28-2010, 10:31 PM
I have a 95 Maristar 205 and I have a similar problem. I runs great when at full throttle, but if ran at normal speeds for any time, there is significant power loss. When running at top speed, there is no problem up to 10-15 min. If i do the same thing at about 30mph, I start to lose power. I can push the throtlle to about 9 o'clock with good response. Any further, there is a significant loss of power. Starts fine and is great out of the hole, but top speed is not there. If I turn it off and let it sit for a little while, I can get back to top speeds. Does this sound familiar? BTW- new fuel pump as well

If you have a throttle position sensor, I'd check that first. (Not that familiar with your engine)

I'd also try a run with the fuel filler cap not closed tight so it can vent. Sounds like you're tank might not be venting well.

dlboltond
04-29-2010, 09:11 AM
Just to add some additional information. The ECM was recently replaced since they siad "needed to be replaced because it (ECM) was sending a message to the motor that it was running cold, thus adding additional gas to the mix" - but the problem remains.

dlboltond
04-29-2010, 09:14 AM
I am not sure if it is the gastank vent, because it seems to be clear...at least gas shoots out of it sometimes on fillup. Could there be a chance for some sort of vapor lock?