PDA

View Full Version : Almost there...

CruisinGA
04-26-2010, 11:10 PM
Started wakeboarding when we got our first boat (X9) last July. Been gradually upping the speed, weight and line length and just working on clearing the wake and that kind of thing.

Decided to step it up yesterday and try a tantrum. Got closer than I thought I would. I bet I can land one in the next trip or two out. :D I don't know how fast most people improve, but If I can land a tantrum within my first year of wakeboarding, that seems pretty good to me. :D

Critique away, I need all the help I can get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znbOIWatcqI

SkiDog
04-27-2010, 07:00 AM
Started wakeboarding when we got our first boat (X9) last July. Been gradually upping the speed, weight and line length and just working on clearing the wake and that kind of thing.

Decided to step it up yesterday and try a tantrum. Got closer than I thought I would. I bet I can land one in the next trip or two out. :D I don't know how fast most people improve, but If I can land a tantrum within my first year of wakeboarding, that seems pretty good to me. :D

Critique away, I need all the help I can get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znbOIWatcqI

Are you coming to CSM? I'd bet you could land one there!

CruisinGA
04-27-2010, 09:27 AM
Are you coming to CSM? I'd bet you could land one there!

It sure sounds like a party, and I'd love to come, but I've got finals next week. :mad:

vision
04-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Good job. You are close. Take a slower progressive cut, stay tall, and cut away from the boat at the end as you go up the wake.

By the way, you are not doing a tantrum, you are doing a heel side backroll. Backroll is a cartwheel, tantrum is a back flip.

CruisinGA
04-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the input.

Never really been clear on the difference between a tantrum/back roll/back flip. I think I've got it now.

Is the cut while going up the wake to help you 'pop'?

I only get to ride with one person better than me, and not all that often, so I'm figuring this out on my own and the comments help!

slickwater1
04-27-2010, 03:26 PM
The tantrum is a true back flip, like on a diving board. the back roll is a cartwheel. When doing the tantrum make sure to get your pop and then throw your head. on the back roll, nice progressive cut and look over your back shoulder. both tricks you want to spot your landing over your front toes.

vision
04-27-2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the input.

Never really been clear on the difference between a tantrum/back roll/back flip. I think I've got it now.

Is the cut while going up the wake to help you 'pop'?

I only get to ride with one person better than me, and not all that often, so I'm figuring this out on my own and the comments help!

Cutting away from the boat as you ride up the wake throws the board around. You really do not need to throw a backroll, just cut away from the boat and look under the rope (or over your shoulder) and hang on for the ride. If you cut correctly, the board will go around on its own and you just need to spot your landing.

You do an excellent job of keeping your hands in and holding on with both hands. You will land it soon.

slickwater1
04-27-2010, 08:46 PM
you can slow your rotation down alittle bit by letting go with your back hand at the end of the rotation. this sometimes helps me find my landing and not skip out on the tail of the board. also try to make a nice progressive cut instead of a charging cut. it will help you control the roll

CruisinGA
05-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the tips guys.

Headed back up to the lake friday afternoon ready to try again. Rode like crap, and eventually got a concussion bad enough I had memory loss and still have a headache today.

I'll be back at it this Friday, hopefully then I can keep the head injuries away and work on the back roll some more.

slickwater1
05-02-2010, 03:27 PM
don't be afraid or to proud to wear a helment. I know it sounds crazy but a light weight skull lid aint always a bad thing.

vision
05-02-2010, 08:00 PM
don't be afraid or to proud to wear a helment. I know it sounds crazy but a light weight skull lid aint always a bad thing.

I second that.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Should you go with a helmet, get one with ear guards so you avoid a blown ear drum. A mouth-guard is also a good way to help prevent a concussion. It will be the best $75 you ever spend.

CruisinGA
05-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Would a helmet prevent concussion from slapping your noggin again'st the water? I thought helmets were more to protect from rail/jump/board/ sky ski collision?

If it would have helped prevent a concussion in my case, I would be all over it, especially when riding to learn and falling a lot.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-03-2010, 09:22 AM
The helmet is supposed to spread the force of the impact as well as to protect from the impact itself. A mouthguard is equally important.

slickwater1
05-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Mouthguard is good, but helmet is good start.

CruisinGA
05-03-2010, 09:50 AM
While we're at it, anyone got a helmet suggestion?

mccobmd
05-03-2010, 04:27 PM
I'm buying an Protec Ace with ear guards

CruisinGA
08-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Update:

I'm there. :D

Been working on the back roll most of the summer, and started landing it 3 weeks ago. Landed two back to back to kick things off, and then three in a row after that. :D

Here's a video-not my best one, but hey, I stuck it. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh6SS6NSEiM

jconover
08-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Gratz very nice. Why is the video so tall and narrow?

CruisinGA
08-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks!
Friend took it with my iphone 4 and held it the wrong way. The video resolution is 720P widescreen. Takes much better video than my waterproof digital point n shoot.