PDA

View Full Version : Residential Windows

BriEOD
04-26-2010, 02:47 PM
We just closed on our new (to us) house (neighborhood is right on the river we have a ramp and boat slips). One pressing issue with the house is the windows. The house was built in 68 and the windows are original. We are going to have them replaced and I'm looking for any comments/suggestions. I think we want white vinyl that are Energy Efficient. I know Pella and Anderson offer deals and you can go to Lowes/Home Depot as well. I'm not looking to break the bank as I need about 20 windows and one is a big bay window.

Thx ahead of time.

Rockman
04-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Bri,

When we rehab'd my sister's entire house here in the Chicago burbs, we replaced all the windows with Marvin windows. There are really good windows and are energy efficient.

Anderson, Pella and Marvin are all really good windows. Either of these would not let you down.

I would definitely stick to one of those noted above and stay away from ones like CrestLine, etc. which are the cheaper ones the builders use for the cookie cutter houses.

Have a sales rep from all three come to your house and show you what they have instead of going through Lowes or Home Depot first. Take the information he may have and then buy the windows on your own.

just my :twocents:

Kevin 89MC
04-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Windows will set you back some $. General ball park budget is $1,000 per opening, for labor & materials. I just put in Eagle Windows a few years ago, love them. Anderson owns them now as their "top line" window, as they are aluminum clad exterior and wood interior. They have 50 colors of aluminum to choose from (same price), and offer different species of wood for the interior. They were actually a bit cheaper than the Anderson quote I got from Home Depot. There are some good vinyl, and now fiberglass windows available. I'd spend some time doing a lot of research on the windows themselves as well as the installer, as they are one of the main failure points on a house if not installed properly. The gov't is offering some pretty good tax credits if you install high performing windows (my Eagle's qualified), so look at energystar.gov for more on that.
Good luck!
Kevin

russlars
04-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Not sure if they have Milgard Windows where you are located, but we replaced our old aluminum framed windows with those and I also put them in our lakehouse when we built it. They are nice windows and are less expensive than Pella or Anderson and have a lifetime warranty. We have utilized the lifetime warranty on a couple of ours that lost their seal and they replaced them no questions asked.

cmw
04-26-2010, 03:55 PM
I went with Anderson from Home Depot and put them in myself. Came out cheaper than having someone install cheap vinyl. I put in three big sliders with oak interior and the rest were various size crank outs. When opened, they really let the air in. One door had a flaw and Anderson sent another door out right away and said to destroy the one I had. Pella makes a great product also, but I am loyal to Home Depot because of the stock.

bobx1
04-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Get a quote from these guys. We have a farily high-end house with custom wood windows everywhere. My second floor windows began to rot and I check with Marvin and Pella and then these guys were recommended. We have had great luck with them. Our local franchise and installer was great and they were VERY reasonably priced. Here is a link to their locations:

http://www.windowworld.com/stores/

Monte
04-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Brian,
We refurbished our home several years ago. We had to custom order 15 windows, and were around $4200. Being the frugal sort, I orderd them with every suitable window gas known to man. We also used the memorial day military family discount at Lowes. My Brother was serving in Iraq at the time. Of course you being active military you get the discount year round. We have been very pleased with them.

Tomsinamerica
04-26-2010, 07:13 PM
Oddly enough I'm 18 windows deep into replacing all of my 24. I went with PlyGem builders series 200 from Lowes although you can buy them from a lot of other places.

They're wood composite frames and wood sashes, pre-primed on the outside and you can order other finish options/colors. Mine were a variety of sizes, most 3' wide and 4'6 tall but some were shorter, and some taller. After negotiations etc etc I got them all for around $3,000.

The reasons I like them:
easy to install
brick mould is pre installed but removable
double hung with removable sashes
energy efficient although not enough for tax credits.

So far, I'm really happy. I used to have old grill style windows, I wanted a modern look and i decided not to get the grill between the glass option... it makes the world of difference in the amount of light coming in. I've already noticed how much more efficient they are too. The upstairs of my house used to vary a lot in temperature throughout the day... Since having the upstairs ones in, (late march) I've not had to turn on either the A/C or Heat! Awesome.

Things to consider though are... are you doing a complete replacement, or just replacement windows? I had to to for the complete window as the drip sill was rotten on almost all of them. I now have peace of mind that nothing's going to rot any time soon... does the house have lap siding or brick? This will make you decide whether to get ones with brick mould already installed or nail in fin option...

If you want to chat about them, I looked through all this extensively, shoot me a pm!

T

Jerseydave
04-26-2010, 07:16 PM
Had 2 houses built with Anderson windows, no problems.
2 things to consider:

1. Get easy to clean windows for the 2nd floor that "tip in" for easy cleaning. (we don't have those, but I wish we did)
2. See if you can get UV protection for your sunny area windows. We could use that, as the sun is starting to fade some of our furniture. We're going to get some of them tinted soon anyway.

TX.X-30 fan
04-26-2010, 07:22 PM
I am not a fan of the vinyl windows, we did all Pella at out last place and as someone said I installed all and that way was able to get the architect series. Its amazing how good a wood window looks and the outdoor sound level was non-existent. I just used gas filled on the front of the house that had west exposure, other well shaded or morning windows just seems a waste to pay the gas premium. Congrats on the new casa Bri.

André
04-26-2010, 09:11 PM
I think Rick Lakes used to be in the window business...;)
But he didn't log in for a long time...Must have remarried!:)

cbryan70
04-26-2010, 09:17 PM
no pictures of the house or at least the garage?

atlfootr
04-28-2010, 10:29 AM
no pictures of the house or at least the garage?

At least there's someone else out there that wants to see some pictures, so I'll gladly step up and speak for the both of us when I say ....

JimN
04-28-2010, 11:13 AM
We just closed on our new (to us) house (neighborhood is right on the river we have a ramp and boat slips). One pressing issue with the house is the windows. The house was built in 68 and the windows are original. We are going to have them replaced and I'm looking for any comments/suggestions. I think we want white vinyl that are Energy Efficient. I know Pella and Anderson offer deals and you can go to Lowes/Home Depot as well. I'm not looking to break the bank as I need about 20 windows and one is a big bay window.

Thx ahead of time.

You should probably go out and look at what's available- some are name brand but have a really cheezy feel and don't operate very well.

FYI- as of 4/22/2010, the EPA requires that any work on houses built before 1978 and using lead paint be tested for the presence of lead by someone trained in testing and abatement. This applies to all homes, there's no "grandfather clause" for rental units that are owner-occupied, the jobsite is required to be cleaned at the end of each day and any dust has to be removed using a vacuum with a HEPA filter. The EPA requires documentation for this and says the testing and cleanup can't be listed as a specific charge on the invoice.

This applies to any contractor who disturbs more than 6 square feet of wall space on the inside or 20 square feet of exterior surface- this means remodeling, painting, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, low voltage or any other kind of work that causes paint chips to be dislodged or paint dust to become airborne.

TX.X-30 fan
04-28-2010, 05:59 PM
You should probably go out and look at what's available- some are name brand but have a really cheezy feel and don't operate very well.

FYI- as of 4/22/2010, the EPA requires that any work on houses built before 1978 and using lead paint be tested for the presence of lead by someone trained in testing and abatement. This applies to all homes, there's no "grandfather clause" for rental units that are owner-occupied, the jobsite is required to be cleaned at the end of each day and any dust has to be removed using a vacuum with a HEPA filter. The EPA requires documentation for this and says the testing and cleanup can't be listed as a specific charge on the invoice.

This applies to any contractor who disturbs more than 6 square feet of wall space on the inside or 20 square feet of exterior surface- this means remodeling, painting, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, low voltage or any other kind of work that causes paint chips to be dislodged or paint dust to become airborne.

Not a chance anyone would pay to be in compliance with this nonsense. Jus Sayin.

JimN
04-28-2010, 06:04 PM
[/B]

Not a chance anyone would pay to be in compliance with this nonsense. Jus Sayin.

I'm sure you have read all of the BS that goes along with this, like the $32,500/day fines/incident, $1000/day for not being certified, etc.

As far as I'm concerned, this is nothing more than a tax on homeowners who just happen to own homes that are older. Just another way to grab some of our cash and make it look like they're concerned for our well-being. The vast majority of the houses that have had exposure violations are in the inner cities, owned by slumlords. You know the kind- the ones that have paint chips so big the kids ask for some dip or salsa.

Covi
04-28-2010, 08:48 PM
BriEOD-

I work here www.wdbrownell.com check it out we are a Marvin window and door show case dealer. My job function is installation sale manager. I am certainly not here to sell you a Marvin brand window but more to give you the info that you are looking for. Some earlier posts had some great things to say tax credits, and EPA regulations. They are all true. Now to the windows.

I just got back from the Marvin factory in Warroad MN. where I was being scholed on compeitive products. I was able to touch and feel most other manufactures. I can say I do sell one of the best products on the market. That said it is also one of the most expensive.

Marvin has several lines of windows. Example Marvin extruded aluminum clad exterior / wood interior. Integrity by Marvin fiberglass exterior wood interior, as well as a full fiberglass window. The Integrity is considered more of a stream line product with less bells and whistles with out jeopardizing any major performance. I would not recommend the Integrity full fiberglass line at all. I feel as though they are not meant for a home but rather for commercial use. However I would recommend the Integrity wood interior if money is any issue. You are able to choose several exterior maintenance free colors as well as a pre painted interior or bare wood. If money is no object by all means Marvin aluminum clad series is top notch. Fit in finish is perfect, tolerances are with in a 1/16" on any joint. joint are all mitred rather then butt.

As far as installation. you can expect to pay approx. 1000.00 - 1300.00 per opening depending on size and spec. This is a very realistic number.

The government is offering a tax credit (check in hand) for energy star rated windows that have a solar heat gain coefficient of .30 and a U- factor of .30 or lower. Most of the Marvin products meet this out of the box with the standard low E II w/ argon gas. However if they don't most often the lass can be changed to an up grade of low E 366. Be careful and do your home work on this for the government was not thinking of the entire US when the new criteria was introduced. For instance We people that live in the northern teir of the US rely on the solor heat gain in the winter and want as much sun warming our home. That said why would I pay on average 30$ more to change the glass surface that will not be heping? The reason is most people say screw the government finally they are coughing up some cash, so I want it. Well you want it for all the wrong reasons. Again educate yourself or call me and I give you a quick run down.

There is a new law in affect as of the 22nd of April and it does state if the home was built prior to 1978 lead safe practices will need to be used. I just finished my class to be certified in lead based practices. And oh my god is it crazy what we are required to do. Not to mention at what cost. Remember that cost is going directly to the home owner and it's not cheap. Each home will be different but be prepared for it. I would also do home work on this as well.

There are many, many window manufactures in the market today. I would suggest multiple quotes from multiple dealer. I would stay clear of any vinyl window product as for they are junk. Sorry to all the people with them. It is my opinion. There are a few on the market today that cost top dollar and you know what they same you get what you pay for. In this case it's just not true. Marvin, Lapage, Kolbe & Kolbe, and Eagle make a very nice product. Anderson has fell by the wayside where they put all there emphasis on marketing. And it works. When I think of Anderson I think of Kleenex everyone knows Kleenex brand. Don't be fooled.

Anyway enough for now I getting hungry thinking about all this. Please PM me if you want my number and I would be more than happy to give you a quick run down. Not to mention I could certainly quote your project to see if your local dealer is putting it to you. On any window order you should never pay retail. In fact you should receive anywhere from 15 - 25% off retail. Again let me know I would be more than happy to help you with pricing.

Covi

JohnE
04-28-2010, 09:02 PM
I'm sure you have read all of the BS that goes along with this, like the $32,500/day fines/incident, $1000/day for not being certified, etc.

As far as I'm concerned, this is nothing more than a tax on homeowners who just happen to own homes that are older. Just another way to grab some of our cash and make it look like they're concerned for our well-being. The vast majority of the houses that have had exposure violations are in the inner cities, owned by slumlords. You know the kind- the ones that have paint chips so big the kids ask for some dip or salsa.

I'm just glad that the building inspectors don't have to enforce that ridiculous nonsense.

TX.X-30 fan
04-28-2010, 09:18 PM
There is a new law in affect as of the 22nd of April and it does state if the home was built prior to 1978 lead safe practices will need to be used. I just finished my class to be certified in lead based practices. And oh my god is it crazy what we are required to do. Not to mention at what cost. Remember that cost is going directly to the home owner and it's not cheap. Each home will be different but be prepared for it. I would also do home work on this as well.

I would never ask for this service, first of all the area has been encapsulated for years and no longer is an issue at all, secondly only an idiot would let their infant play in the temporary const. debris. There is no money in this nation to fund compliance for an ill thought-out piece of regulation. Same is true of the asbestos and mold regulations and the scams that followed.

JohnnyB
04-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Two thoughts....

1) buy them energy efficient enought to take advantage of Obama Bucks....$1500 tax credit for putting in new energy efficient replacement windows....make sure they meet the requirement

2) forget the double hungs....go with crank-out casements all the way around....much quieter! I've never owned a double hung window that didn't wistle and make noise in a strong wind. All casements in my last house except for 3 double hungs(2nd floor) and hated them. This house has all crank-out casemenets.

BriEOD
04-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Sorry for the delayed response on my part and thx for all the comments. You all have given me quite a bit to consider. Covi, thx for taking the time to provide that level of detail in your response. I know that took a few minutes to craft a response that detailed. JimN if there anything you don't know about? I'm signing you up for Jeopardy.

I have 17 "regular" size windows, 2 small (like 2x2') and one large bay window (currently it has 5 sub windows) that bows out of the house slightly. So, based on some of your estimates of $1000 an opening, that is in the $25k ball park.

My wife and I have some more discussing to do and we are going to get some estimates before making any decisions.

JimN
04-28-2010, 10:48 PM
Sorry for the delayed response on my part and thx for all the comments. You all have given me quite a bit to consider. Covi, thx for taking the time to provide that level of detail in your response. I know that took a few minutes to craft a response that detailed. JimN if there anything you don't know about? I'm signing you up for Jeopardy.

I have 17 "regular" size windows, 2 small (like 2x2') and one large bay window (currently it has 5 sub windows) that bows out of the house slightly. So, based on some of your estimates of $1000 an opening, that is in the $25k ball park.

My wife and I have some more discussing to do and we are going to get some estimates before making any decisions.

The reason I know about this is that it directly affects me- I'm required to take the 8 hour training and pay the $375 certification fee. Plus, there are all kinds of forms I'll need to fill out, extra prep/cleanup time to bill for and I also have to keep the records on hand if the friendly folks from the EPA stop by.

I just get all gooey inside when I think about new government regulations. I think it may be from the excess stomach acid, dissolving my innards.

Ben
04-28-2010, 11:31 PM
2) forget the double hungs....go with crank-out casements all the way around....much quieter! I've never owned a double hung window that didn't wistle and make noise in a strong wind. All casements in my last house except for 3 double hungs(2nd floor) and hated them. This house has all crank-out casemenets.

I have a mix, and although I like the casements, one negative is unless you have substantial overhangs, depending on the wind, I prefer not to have them cracked open if a light / medium rain is going on, since the top of the window is exposed. Double hung you can do this as long as it doesn't blow in. Silly thought, but enough to make me want to put a 2-3 foot overhang on the wall that has 6 of these...

Kevin 89MC
04-29-2010, 12:44 PM
The reason I know about this is that it directly affects me- I'm required to take the 8 hour training and pay the $375 certification fee. Plus, there are all kinds of forms I'll need to fill out, extra prep/cleanup time to bill for and I also have to keep the records on hand if the friendly folks from the EPA stop by.

I just get all gooey inside when I think about new government regulations. I think it may be from the excess stomach acid, dissolving my innards.

Good thing I don't drink coffee, or I'd have spewed it all over my keyboard laughing so hard!
I work for a commercial GC, and our superintendents are starting to get trained for this. What a bunch of **** IMHO. Sounds like there is no money in the budget for enforcement by the EPA for now, but rumor has it that all this training at $375 per will sure start a nice fund for enforcement...

bcampbe7
04-29-2010, 01:04 PM
$1000 per opening sounds really steep!

We replaced all windows in our house (albeit 7 or so years ago) and it was nowhere near $1000 an opening. Our cost was more like $350 an opening. No we didn't go with the best window on the market, but did go with a decent window that has worked well for us.

Covi
04-29-2010, 06:38 PM
BriEOD,

Your figure of around 25k is about right. Especially if you're including the replacement of a bow unit. In-fact a bow unit installed by us generally can't be done for under 4000.00. The figure of 1000 - 1300 should be including product, labor, misc. materials, tax and disposal. The whole nine yards.

Ski-me
05-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Well I'll jump in on the subject too since we are starting a remodel project ourselves.

We went down to Pella yesterday and looked at their showroom and discussed the different types they had. The sales guy did pretty much confirm that we should steer away from the vinyl windows because they flex a lot and are not nearly the performer as some of the upper end ones.

The minimum he recommended was their "Impervia" fiberglass composite window. Much stiffer than vinyl and a much better product overall. He also indicated that the window comes with a lifetime warranty. Additionally, the windows won't expand and contract with the weather....definitely something to consider here in Colorado.

The next step up were the wood framed ones and they were definitely nice.....however, the warranty was only 10 - 20 years. They were very smooth acting and looked top quality, but I am really concerned about the performance in our climate.

The sun just eats up the wood and dries them out terribly. Wind and snow also don't help. I've seen a lot of wood windows.....Pella included, that have sagged or in someway, make closing and opening very difficult. Is this normal performance for wood type windows?

I hate to spend a ton of money only to have them warping and not sealing well in a 10 year time span.

Oh, and by the way.....the house was originally built in the 50's so the new rule will apply :mad:.

We are looking to replace or add about 30 windows.

Thanks for any help!

The property is very cool.....the house, we're working on it.:rolleyes:

Covi
05-02-2010, 06:30 PM
Ski - Me, great looking spot. Yup your right unfourtunatly you fall under the new EPA rule. Bummer! The Pella Impervia is not a bad unit. One thing about is the wrap that is used under the cap makes the window NOT smooth. Look at it close when you have a chance. I think there re much better fiberglass products on the market. However they are backed by the Pella name. I would suggest you look into the Marvin Integrity line. Fiberglass out / wood in. They do make a full fiberglass line but, I would stay clear of that.

As far as performance of wood windows. Depending how they are constructed they may expand and contract which would hinder the performance. Wood is good if properly maintained.

Ski-me
05-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Covi, I appreciate the advice and feedback. Because of your comments, we have already put the Marvin windows in the mix and also looked at your website. We did take a look at our local Marvin supplier and found out that we just purchased a bunch of doors for another house from the same company last year. This should help us in the overall pricing.

I do like the look of the wood generally speaking (on the inside) but we also had some of the old, Oldach, wooden frame windows from the 80's that were terrible. Pretty much our entire neighborhood has them. I'm just a little concerned about the expansion and contraction here.

The property is amazing...5+ acres, in town. Pretty hard to find on it's own but we also got it from a bank....aka great deal! The house, on the other hand, needs a lot of work and we are trying to keep the remodel within the same structure + a new garage.

Thanks again.

On another note.....snowing again today:mad:. Still can't get the boat in the water.....

Covi
05-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Ski-Me

My pleasure, anything at anytime just let me know. We here in VT had (in some areas, 20 mile radius) 20" +/- of snow on Wed. last week. And today I was out boating with a buddy and actually saw people swimming. The Thermometer on my porch (in the shade) read 90 degrees at 1:30 pm. It's nuts.

TX.X-30 fan
05-03-2010, 03:14 PM
I would do it myself before I ever did 1,000 a window, I did 2 large bay windows for less and the install was fairly easy.

Ron Grover
05-04-2010, 11:31 AM
Getting experince with it now. I had Pella rep come out to our house and bid replacement of our windows and door. Mama wanted the high end ones with the blinds in the glass, fancy screens and all the bells and whistles.

The bid I received from Pella Rep for 11 windows and one sliding glass door, $24,024. This included installation but did not include putting trim on the outside or inside. Just installation of window in the opening.

I went to Lowe's who sells Pella windows, had them special order from factory the windows the Pella rep quoted and they cost $11,700.

*** Pella rep, you think I'm crazy? It's not that hard to put in a window. Only five of them are on second story and only 10 feet off the ground. Scaffolds do not cost that much to rent.

The windows are sitting in my garage now waiting for me to get busy.

Ski-me
05-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Which Pella's did you get? The full composite ones or something else....with maybe wood on the inside?

Mine will most likely be a lot of re-sizing of the window and/or relocating the holes. It won't be a direct replacement for the most part.

Ski-me
05-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Ski-Me

My pleasure, anything at anytime just let me know. We here in VT had (in some areas, 20 mile radius) 20" +/- of snow on Wed. last week. And today I was out boating with a buddy and actually saw people swimming. The Thermometer on my porch (in the shade) read 90 degrees at 1:30 pm. It's nuts.

Covi

Any thoughts on Milgard or Amerimax windows? A good friend mainly does commercial but could provide us some residential windows if needed. These are the two he carries.....

Covi
05-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Ski-Me,

I've heard of Milgard. They make a vynil and fiberglass window. I don't know much more than that As far as Amerimax I have nothing. What I do have are cut/spec sheets one page on most other manufactures. They are very helpful for people who are in the research stage. i could fax or email them if you like depending on the brand I most likley have the info. Each spec sheet is 1 page very, very easy reading Not to mention extreamly informative. Let me know and they will be sent your way.

Covi
05-04-2010, 03:12 PM
As far as the Pella blinds between the glass, bells and whistles, etc, etc. Look at them close they will have an energy panel to the inside that sandwiches the blinds. pain in the A$$ to clean. Screens are not standard. they are AAMA 2604 standard. That is the fade rate. of approx 7-9 years. For the mack daddy 2605 it is a significant up charge. Marvin is standard AAMA 2605, 20+ years fade / chalk rate. you wont see it in a life time. Again not trying to push any product just supply info.

rd1900
05-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Windows are really easy to install, especially if yours are fairly standard. Just make sure you get the flashing right, and then setting the window plumb and level is a piece of cake. You can easily save 50% installing yourself.

I have all Pella wood (double hung, casement and sliding glass door) and they perform great and Pella has been very good about some minor warranty issues (fog inside a sliding glass door.)

Ron Grover
05-04-2010, 04:39 PM
I got a mix of double hung and casement. Wood encased by aluminum.

bridomine99
05-04-2010, 11:02 PM

Ryan
09-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Brian, Did you get a quote and get new windows?

We started shopping windows last year and got back into it last week. We happened to have a door to door guy from LEI Home Enhancements (TX & Midwest co.). I've got 31 windows and got quotes just north of $20k last year. I have LEI down to $17.5k and includes a new sliding door for the basement (previous quotes didn't). 8 of the windows will be tempered to meet OH code that's been consistent. That puts me at $564/opening. A few of our windows don't open easily, we have very few screens and most in the neighborhood have upgraded. This is part to check a box for when we sell part to make my wife happy. I am wondering now though if I should just get less feature-rich windows.

Does anyone know about Revelation windows (line quoted)? They look great and are full-featured with tripple pane, mid-way locks, tilt every which way, top& bottom slide. But would feel more comfortable with Pella or Anderson, however Revelation's warranty is better than theirs.

Ryan
09-25-2013, 10:15 PM
Anyone else have some cost ranges/window?

I got them down further to $520/window today.

Traxx822
09-25-2013, 11:24 PM
Anyone else have some cost ranges/window?

I got them down further to $520/window today.

If you are looking for vinyl, call Midwest/Alliance windows in bedford park IL. High quality windows for way less that anyone else.

Ryan
09-25-2013, 11:44 PM
If you are looking for vinyl, call Midwest/Alliance windows in bedford park IL. High quality windows for way less that anyone else.

Do you think they stretch down to Cincy?

stuie
09-26-2013, 09:01 AM
A good place to check out window manufactures window specs
http://www.nfrc.org/

I'm using http://www.strassburger.net/ triple glazed windows and doors, maybe they ship to the States?

Stuart

Traxx822
09-26-2013, 09:22 AM
Do you think they stretch down to Cincy?

Yes, they can ship there.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Ryan
09-26-2013, 09:46 PM
Yes, they can ship there.

Any chance it's called Midway? http://www.midwaywindows.com/our-products/replacement/belmont-windows/optional-features/trim-n-time/ (http://www.midwaywindows.com/our-products/replacement/belmont-windows/optional-features/trim-n-time/)
I'm not finding a window place that matches perfectly via Google. Thanks!

uplander
09-26-2013, 10:38 PM
do not purchase Pella, they are junk. Go Anderson or something else. If you go wood on the inside expect to reseal every few years.

madcityskier
09-26-2013, 10:52 PM
Marvin.

Ryan
09-26-2013, 11:52 PM
do not purchase Pella, they are junk. Go Anderson or something else. If you go wood on the inside expect to reseal every few years.

We have wood windows now and do not appreciate them like many others around here. I had always thougth Pella and Anderson were the cream of the crop. No?

Traxx822
09-27-2013, 12:11 AM
Any chance it's called Midway? http://www.midwaywindows.com/our-products/replacement/belmont-windows/optional-features/trim-n-time/ (http://www.midwaywindows.com/our-products/replacement/belmont-windows/optional-features/trim-n-time/)
I'm not finding a window place that matches perfectly via Google. Thanks!

Autocorrect. Yes it is Midway.

mastercraft1995
09-27-2013, 12:19 PM
Check with your local power company for rebates or offers. I had them come out last year and do an audit of our house to see where we had issues. I had old windows and no floor insulation.

I had the floor insulated under the house for $2000 and the the electric company paid $1000 of it. They gave me $6 a square foot for glass or up to 50% of the cost of the window.

As an example our slider is 9 x 8 = 72 square feet
$6 x 72 sq feet = $432 is the max they would pay for the slider.

In the end I insulated the floor and windows for about $2700 after all the rebates. Me and buddy did all the windows. Since I had my house up to snuff I then put in a new heat pump and air handler and got $1500 back from the electric company on top of the Train rebates.

mastercraft1995
09-27-2013, 12:23 PM
We installed Jeld-Win windows.

I couldn't bring myself to buy super expensive windows with the same ratings.

Traxx822
09-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Ryan, If you PM me your sizes I can order them with my discount.

They have the woodgrain vinyl (faux wood) but you cn also do a simple white. I have found the Belmont series, replacement window dual sash best you can get were all under $400 for regular sizes. Some lower than 300. They also comply with the $1500 tax credit (if that is still going on) Also, they have a 5 year warranty that includes labor on top of their lifetime guarantee. And their cheapest Alliance window is better than any Pella or Jeld-Wyn or Anderson vinyl window out there.

Ryan
09-27-2013, 02:17 PM
Ryan, If you PM me your sizes I can order them with my discount.

They have the woodgrain vinyl (faux wood) but you cn also do a simple white. I have found the Belmont series, replacement window dual sash best you can get were all under $400 for regular sizes. Some lower than 300. They also comply with the $1500 tax credit (if that is still going on) Also, they have a 5 year warranty that includes labor on top of their lifetime guarantee. And their cheapest Alliance window is better than any Pella or Jeld-Wyn or Anderson vinyl window out there.

Way cool. Would I then need to find an independent installer? Do they make the Belmont in triple pane? I need to get back on their site. I'll see if I can get my wife to email me the dimensions.

Covi
09-27-2013, 10:14 PM
Marvin Integrity wood / ultrex windows offer one of the best bang for your buck these days. bullit proof units.